What's new

Superman ... ZZZzzzzzzzz (2 Viewers)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Well we just watched the original "Superman : The movie" this evening. The surround sound was spectacular, the transfer was awesome, and there was new footage... But the movie itself? I don't think its held up too well as half of us fell asleep and the rest of us were somewhat bored... I know its a classic, and I loved it as a kid, and the music is unforgettable, but 2 1/2 hours? It's well done, and quite entertaining at times, but overall kind of a snooze fest...

- Cryo

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Same for me with the last couple of viewings. They should make the original version available instead of just the extended version, that might make it easier to sit through.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
:rolleyes

When I was a kid...I wanted to be Superman...so bad that I made my mom make me a cape and put a Superman symbol on it...and I would go running around the house with my hands up saying "whoosh" and ya know what...if I still had that cape today...I'd still do it...but I dont and I just do the "whoosh" with my arms out without the cape...this movie just moves me in a way that no other comic movie has come close to...or just about any other movie for that matter...and I could watch it at least once a week and never get tired of it...and this is comin from a guy who has seen it about 400 times!
Its still the best comic movie...PERIOD IMO...

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Actually the first Superman used to bore me when I was a kid, and I much preferred the second one. Now I much prefer the first one, and am not bored by it at all.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I have to admit that the second half of the movie drags a bit for me. But everything up the first big rescue is magical. Every little touch strikes a correct tone, and the same goes for Superman's first encounter with Kyrptonite. We go from Kyrpton to Smallville to the Fortress of Solitude to the journey through space to Metropolis, tremendously different moods and looks, and it works. I am especially fond of this first half musical score, too; like the landscapes and feelings, each place has a distinct musical voice, all beautifully done by Mr. Williams.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I can't stand the original Superman. One of the few movies that's considered a "classic" that I really don't agree with. I mean c'mon, flying around the earth to change it's spin, thereby reversing time and saving the world!!??!!
Gimme a break. :rolleyes

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I fall into the 'kinda bored' group. And not just with Superman, I also found Batman, Spiderman and other superhero films wanting. It's not that they didn't have good parts, just that overall the movies seem to drag. So, it was with less than high hopes that I finally watch X-Men the other day, and surprisingly I found this to move at just the right pace, and have added it to my to-buy list.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

While the scene you alluded to in your spoiler does seem far-fetched, the fact of the matter is that DC did a whole series of "time travel" stories for Superman back in the late 60's, and this is the way he went back into the past.

If it helps, the "earth spinning backwards" depiction is just symbolic; it only spins backwards from Superman's perspective as he flys faster than the speed of light. And there was this Einstein guy that claimed that this could actually work, assuming one could travel faster than the speed of light.

Anyway, since this was an established part of the genre', I had no problem with the scene.

As to this movie being boring: When we sit down to watch it, we decide if we want to view the "long" version or the "short" version. If we decide on the "short" version, we start the movie at the scene where Superman has just finished his training and flys out of the Fortress of Solitude for the first time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not boring for me. I like how the film takes the time to set up the character, his origins and motivations. But I guess some people snooze at that sort of thing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Matt: We're talking about a guy who flies and shoots laserbeams out of his f'ing eyes here. After that, time travel via faster-than-light travel hardly seems implausible.

And I'm curious; would people rather see a "hip, cool" version complete with a rap/techno mix sound track and MTV style editing?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
"Actually the first Superman used to bore me when I was a kid, and I much preferred the second one. Now I much prefer the first one, and am not bored by it at all. "

Good call Simon.

I could not have said it anybetter myself. For me Superman the movie is a magical movie and helps me reflect on a great time in my childhood. I still like 2, but it doesn't have the depth that one has. I feel like I am actually on a journey with Superman through the first installment. Still one of my all time favorites.

Brandon

BarryS

Second Unit
Superman: The Movie in my opinion, is far better than any of the comic book movies being made nowadays. Far better than Spider-Man or X-Men (even X-2). Comic book movies these days just look too much like Saturday morning cartoons. Superman, on the other hand, is a real movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Amen!!!

I have a history of believing and saying that movies are very personal and subjective to each of us; what melts my butter will undoubtedly do the opposite for someone else.

That said, goodness, this thread really surprises me. To me, Superman, was and still is, one of those rare...very rare, hero movies that takes the time to make you care about the characters. It's funny, and yet also delivers the intensity needed.

Again, to me, no comic book movie has come even close.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
back in 2001..WB did a special preview of superman in texas.. itwas a failure..they decided not to release it wide release in the theatres.. however when I was saw in LA in August of 2001. It was very magical. The audience was alive for this movie. They clapped and cheered throughout the film, and clapped and cheered when superman waves off to the audience and all through the end credits. They laughed at the funny parts, and even cheered when Otis first appeared.. It was truely an amazing experience. specially amazing for a 25 year old movie. I don;t think I ever saw that much excitement for any movie like that before.This was at the egyptain theatre in hollywood. I also got to meet the dvd producer Michael Thau before and after the screening.

JACOB

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Superman left me luke-warm. For every plus there seemed to be a minus.

Plus - the John Williams score and Gene Hackman as Lux Luthor.

Minus - Christopher Reeve playing a wuss of a Clark Kent and only a little less wussy Superman.

Margo Kidder as Lois Lane - Common. I don't see her as sexy enough to get a rise out of his red cape.

Plus - Otis and Miss Tesmacher.

Minus - Krypton

Still like it enough to watch it on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks