Superman Time Reversal question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Apr 16, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Just watching this again and every time I always wonder about the 'back in time' bit.
    Okay, I know it's just a movie and it's hardly got any realism factor to it, but Superman reverses time (by the somewhat dubious 'turn the earth backwards' method [​IMG]) and then it just doesn't make any sense.
    We don't see what happens to the missile but it must land or else Jimmy and Lois wouldn't talk about an earthquake...yet all the effects of it seem to be reversed.
    Anyone else pondered this and felt their brain begin to hurt?
    Cheers

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I think it's one of those "don't worry about it and just enjoy the movie" moments.

I liked how they came right out and said this in Austin Powers II.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Hey, Superman is a superhero, so why should the time reversal make sense anyways?

Besides, we don't know what time reversal looks like!

4. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Biggest plot hole ever. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

He didn't turn the earth, you were just witnessing it turn backwards as he travelled back in time. Then he had to decelerate [​IMG]
    Problem solved!

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Possibly that problem solved Jeff (and an interesting take on it). I guess it just seems like a plot hole to me whereas the rest of the movie follows on nicely, once you accept the whole Superman existing thing...
    I just thought there might be some explanation. Apparently not!![​IMG]

7. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

If someone travels fast enough, time does slow down. That has been proven. And if someone travels fast enough, perhaps time even reverses. Why time would reverse for the entire planet and not just Superman himself is the main plot-hole I see.

Still, he's Superman, so I'm not going to get in his face and tell him his business. If he's comfortable with having a plot-hole big enough to fit Krypton through, I won't argue otherwise.

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

But it's the not the time travel that I have a problem with. It's the after-effects - we just never see how going back in time actually solves the problem, if you see...

9. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I remember being 8 years old when I saw the film and saw this as a big plot hole. That's pretty bad writting when an 8 year old figures that out.

10. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

The only explanation I have come up with to help fill in the plot hole and just enjoy it is...he just rearranged the order in which he fixed things. The first time through he was making it up as he went along. He'd see a problem, fix it and move on. The second time he knew what was going to happen before it happened and could catch it before it was too destructive. We just don't see him going about doing it.

Kind of like when you play a video game for the first time you don't know what to expect and will often fail. But when you know there's an alien lurking around the corner (because he's attacked and killed you already) you can get him before he gets you. Get it?

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Ah but Bill, in which case how come the big crack never comes along to swallow Lois' car? That would surely happen anyway, even if he got her out to safety...
    I guess I'm just way too anal...[​IMG]

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Yes, it's faulty logic, and nothing about it is sound EXCEPT for Superman's motivations which is what you are supposed to be concentrating on I believe.

Absolutely devastated by the loss of Lois, he endeavours to bring her back. At that moment he is confronted with a choice between the teachings of his two fathers. He has Jor-El telling him to not interfere with Human History, and Jonathon Kent telling him he was put here for a reason. He takes a little from both, the powers granted him by Jor-El and the humanity and compassion taught to him by Pa Kent, and saves Lois.

If you consider the first film to be a genesis story, this is the moment when he truly becomes Superman, reconciling his two personas. It works extremely well thematically if not scientifically.

14. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I suppose one could argue that when Superman turned back time, the first copy of his self was still flying around stopping the earthquake and rescuing people. This freed the duplicate Superman from the future to save even more people since, in effect, there were two of him to go around.

Why didn't Lois fall down the crack the second time? The only plausible explanation is that Superman from the future actually stopped the earthquake a little sooner than he originally did the first time around. He did this in order to save Lois from getting trapped and killed and perhaps save on some other collateral property damage (including the dam, maybe?). This wasn't shown, of course.

The problem with this becomes, if Superman from the future prevents Lois from falling into the crack by stopping the earthquake sooner, what incentive does Superman from the past have to travel into the future? Argh...

15. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

16. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    My biggest problem with Superman: The Movie is Superman's restraint in using his X-Ray vision. C'mon!!! Are you telling me a 13 year old boy didn't sneak a few peaks at the girls in Smallville??!!

BTW: I don't spit into the wind.