What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
To celebrate both Superman’s 80th birthday and the film’s 40th anniversary, Warner has released the theatrical cut of Superman: The Movie on 4K UHD Blu-ray in a new and improved transfer.

Superman (1978)

Released: 15 Dec 1978
Rated: PG
Runtime: 143 min

Director: Richard Donner
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi

Cast: Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Ned Beatty
Writer(s): Jerry Siegel (character created by: Superman), Joe Shuster (character created by: Superman), Mario Puzo (story), Mario Puzo (screenplay), David Newman (screenplay), Leslie Newman (screenplay), Robert Benton (screenplay)

Plot: An alien orphan is sent from his dying planet to Earth, where he grows up to become his adoptive home's first and greatest superhero.

IMDB rating: 7.3
MetaScore:...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Evelyn Wood baby. ;) I'll admit that I skipped "The Production" section and went directly to the meat and potatoes.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, in that case I'll revisit it. :) Typically though I skip the opinion pieces, particularly for older films that I'm very familiar with.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, in that case I'll revisit it. :) Typically though I skip the opinion pieces, particularly for older films that I'm very familiar with.
So do I. I read reviews exclusively for technical and extras content ( with a few exceptions, I read yours Todd). Please don’t take offense.:mellow:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So in a nutshell...

VHS: looked like a 16mm copy
Laserdisc: looked like a VHS
DVD: looked like a laserdisc
Blu-ray: looked like a DVD
UHD: looks like a blu-ray

This film is simply untransferable and its what I've been saying for months.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
It looks amazing. They don't make them like this anymore. Superb acting, script, directing. The source material of the film quality is limited and Warner Bros. has made it look better than believed possible. It is the original theatrical release version: 2:23 minutes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup. This is the best the film has ever looked or sounded. The Atmos track is terrific. A Definite improvement on the Blu Ray and absolutely worth an upgrade if you love the film as much as I do. This I believe is as good as its ever gonna get for this film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yup. This is the best the film has ever looked or sounded. The Atmos track is terrific. A Definite improvement on the Blu Ray and absolutely worth an upgrade if you love the film as much as I do. This I believe is as good as its ever gonna get for this film.
Agreed, but it isn't something I would showcase to show off to people on the fence of purchasing a UHD setup.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Agreed, but it isn't something I would showcase to show off to people on the fence of purchasing a UHD setup.
Yeah there is probably less than 2k worth of information on that negative under the diffusion filters and soft focus. This is akin to saying "It looks tremendous!" for a Robert Altman film shot by Vilmos Zsigmond.

That said, I'm looking forward to the inevitable Batman UHD. At least there's something to be gained there.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course. My wife saw a bit and said it looked like VHS!:lol:

Everything on this UHD is improved over all previous editions to me.

Resolution
Clarity
Colors
Sound

I’m very happy.:)

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Haha, Dalek puts it very well. Every successive release of this film looks not so good for its respective format. But this new disc seems the best we've ever gotten. All it lacks really is the alternate Dolby stereo and mono mixes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got the 40th anniversary edition of the score from LaLaLand and spent the morning listening to it. It’s utterly fantastic. I’ve never heard this music sound this good. I’ve seen the movie a million times and heard nuances in the score that I’ve never noticed before. It’s a revelation.

Hats off to @Neil S. Bulk and his team - this is a stunning release.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Glad you are enjoying the album. Mike Matessino deserves most of the credit, but I was happy to be a part of this, my favorite film score. Have you seen the video I shot when we got to examine the tapes?

The 41st anniversary of the start of the scoring sessions is tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/nsbulk/status/1015264109363789824

Neil

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hadn’t seen that video - thank you for sharing, awesome stuff!

It may very well be my favorite film score as well. Certainly these last few listens have made a great case for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks