What's new

Superman The Movie / Superman II (Theatrical) on BD (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I think it is safe to say that there will be no further Superman releases on BD until the franchise is relaunched, rebooted, or rewhatevered.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
:cool:Both versions of "Superman-The Movie" & "Superman II" in a deluxe BD box set with all the extras would be my choice for a Warner cross-promotion with the next theatrical movie in 2010!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I think it's really doubtful a new film will be released next year. There hasn't been any information about it. In fact, it's not even sure if it will be a sequel to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, or a reboot Superman.

Joe_G

Second Unit
Yeah, as far as I know, there isn't gonna be a new Superman film for awhile, at least not next year. Last I heard, WB is going back and rebooting the franchise, ala Batman.

Did we ever find out why a deluxe Superman box set wasn't released on HD-DVD/Blu-ray? There were plans initially to do it, but it only ended up happening on DVD only.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have S:TM, SII: the Donner cut and SR on HD DVD, and see no reason to double dip to BD, since the same encodes for video were used. I don't see the point of Warner going to the well again until the next Superman film comes out.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The only two versions of Superman & Superman 2 that I own are on HD-DVD. I have sene the big Superman tin that they release awhile back on SD-DVD. And I would have to say that I feel that video transfer on HD-DVD is noticable better that then 06' SD-DVD. I would very much like to see a new transfer for Bluray and lossless audio, especially since the HD-DVD only provided a Dolby Digital Plus track. I would very much like to see a Dolby True HD track on Bluray in the near future.

Also what is going on with WB not releasing Superman 3 & 4? Granted they may not be the strongest films out of the 4 but why not make them available? WB did the same thing with Lethal Weapon by only releasing the first two and then not releasing 3 & 4.

Hey WB whats the deal ???? :eek: :eek:

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
Will the original track from SM: The Movie be included this time?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

So they're rebooting a reboot?

[BTW "rebooting" and "reimagining" have become the most over-used cinematic terms of the new century (and I know, I'm guilty as charged too! ;) ]

It doesn't sound like a new SUPERMAN is coming for quite likely years to come. I would hope it doesn't take WB that long to bring us the original movies like II and I's theatrical cut on BD.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Apparently Warner hasn't decided yet if they do a sequel to 'Returns' or indeed a reboot of the franchise. While I think a reboot is better ('Returns' wasn't well received) Singer promised an action loaded sequel to his film. Of course you could argue that since 'Returns' was a sequel as well he could've put more action into the thing in the first place, but never mind that. But a fresh new start might be better, as long as they don't use Luthor again.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, considering Superman Returns had a production budget of 300 million dollars you can't blame the film for breaking even.

They could have crafted a film that equals it for half the cost, and the studio would have been plenty satisfied with the profits.

I enjoyed Superman Returns when I watched it in the theater. But if someone gave me $20 if I'd watch it again, I'd probably turn down the offer. Absolutely zero rewatchability for me.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Of course, that budget figure is based on all the aborted starts in the 90s and their pay-or-play contracts. Kevin Smith, Nic Cage and Tim Burton made an awful lot of money for versions that never got made.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Two words: Superman's kid.

Nobody but Bryan Singer wanted to see that, and I would pass on a RETURNS sequel simply because I have no interest in seeing that scenario play itself out. I'm sure someone, somewhere liked it, but the great majority of viewers hated that unnecessary addition to the plot. It's like Superman's not interesting by himself, so let's give him some baggage and make him "modern" and "relevant" or something. Either way that soured RETURNS for me.

It'd be like Christopher Nolan having Batman be a single dad. No thanks!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

That was about 90% of what I hated about it. The rest was the clunky pacing of the film.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everything that's been stated about Returns. The movie often felt like a boring, poorly paced, made-for-TV drama series strung together in some sort for a 2.5 hour movie. For the hell of it, I tried watching Returns a second time, but had to turn it off after a bit.

If another Superman movie is made, I'd like to see a much different approach and not a weak attempt to semi-copy some of the original movie (and music)....which should just be left alone. Let's see something actually new. They should take a lesson from Nolan in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks