1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Superman The Movie, and sequel soundtrack set question

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nelson Au, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys and Neil S Bulk too if you’re around-

I’ve seen that there is a 3CD set of Superman The Movie soundtrack at La La Land Records. There’s also a Superman 2 and 3 soundtrack set and Superman 4 from La La Land.

What I’m trying to understand is the difference from the earlier Film Score Monthly Bluebox set to these newer sets? That box set is a pretty amazing set. I don’t listen to all of it all the time, but I do enjoy the first film’s score a lot. Are the new La La Land sets more complete? Better mastered? Just curious as I start to research them. Thanks!

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Superman: The Movie was the only one that John Williams actually scored. All of the sequels used his themes, but to save money the Salkinds and Canon Group on the fourth film went cheap by hiring a different "composer" and a much smaller orchestra.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The set for the original Superman movie comes from newly discovered master tapes that are a higher quality than the previous source. The CD quality is just astonishing.

Neil S. Bulk, TravisR and Todd Erwin like this.
  4. Nelson Au

Hi Josh, thanks. That’s what I was kind of thinking, I thought maybe a better mastering, but not a better tape source. Compared to the blue box, this sounds like a more affordable set too. Thanks.

5. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

To add to what Josh wrote...

The sequel scores utilize the same sources as the blue box, simply with upgraded sonics, but the original film uses the first generation master tapes for the first time anywhere. IIRC they were believed to be in London for many years and then took time to get properly inventoried (aka rediscovered) in the U.S. so weren't used before. Unless I'm mistaken even the 1978 album wasn't assembled from the original tapes at the time, so it also premieres for the first time on Disc 3 using the same first gen source.

And it all sounds absolutely incredible.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m hearing nuances in the score that I never heard before. It’s just astonishing. Every time I hear the CD I’m convinced it’s the greatest movie score of all time.

Rodney and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  7. Nelson Au

Thanks again Traveling Matt. Maybe the better investment is to collect the La La Land set of the first film since that’s from the new source tapes. At least start there before picking up the others.

8. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    The sequel scores are ostensibly the same masters as the Blue Box. Mike did a few tweaks here and there, but nothing to invalidate the FSM release.

The original score is indeed from the 2" tapes which were newly transferred to 192/24 digital. We think it sounds better than it ever has.

I will point out that some additional source cues from the 1978 film were found on these 2" tapes and they were included on the Superman II/III set from LLL (no room for them on the Superman set).

Neil

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. Nelson Au

Thanks a lot for the post Neil! That’s great info. I’m much obliged.

10. Nelson Au

I finally placed my order for Superman, I was picking Bride of Frankenstein, had to have that one on day one! So I got a couple of other titles including Superman. Can’t wait to listen to them all. Thanks again for the very helpful input.

Neil S. Bulk and Josh Steinberg like this.
  11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Superman IV actually had new themes written for it by John Williams which were incorporated into the final score by his long time arranger Alexander Courage. As for the orchestras used, the Graunke Orchestra hadn't quite developed the bad reputation it would receive durring the recording of Total Recall and the National Philharmonic was considered the next best thing to the London Symphony Orchestra at the time.