What's new

Superman: The Movie 25th Anniversary Dec. 15, 2003!! (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
this year marks the 25th anniversary of the classic movie with christopher reeve as the man of steele.

What are your thoughts on this classic movie? What are your memories of watching.. either in theatre, tv, or dvd/video?

JACOB

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The first time I saw this movie was in 1980 on a bootleg VHS copy. I had missed the theatrical presentation. Loved it then, love it more on the DVD now available.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember waiting in line for it. It was a big event like the first Star Wars was.
I thought the movie was the coolest things.
They even had kryptonite rocks on sail in the lobby.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For me, Superman: The Movie ranks just under original Star Wars and Raiders.

I still can't get over how nice the DVD is and how I was able to see A LOT of detail that I never saw before.

There will never be another Superman movie as good as this one.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Lets just say that I was honored to at one time shake Richard Donners hand when he signed my DVD of Superman. :D

I think it ranks high with X-Men as one of the great comic book films. And yes it is as good as Raiders and Jaws.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I got off a commuter plane from San Diego to Los Angeles, drove out of LAX straight to Westwood Village in Los Angeles and stood on line for the 5 PM show on opening day. I met my lady friend who was holding a place for me. I did notice that Reeve was much skinnier in the early scenes then the later ones.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I remember how frikkin' expensive the movie ticket was for Superman! I think it cost $1/ticket more than other movies at that time. And $1 went pretty far way back when.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I went to see it last month in the theatres (special edition version w/ 5.1 sound). The film still holds up! :)

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
This ranks right under Empire Strikes Back for me. I think I saw this for the first time at the drive-in. I'm not really sure though, I was only five at the time. My dad used to take me all the time, because mom hated going to the movies.

If he was still alive today I would have dragged the projector outside this summer, hooked up an old 4" dash speaker and ate day old popcorn and enjoyed every minute of it. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my Superman: The Movie timeline

July '78: Famous Monsters runs the first article on the film that i can remember seeing.
Brando is in front of some trees wearing a black superman costume (? Huh wha?!), and Reeve is striking a classic pose in front of the Hudson River with the skyline of Manhattan behind him.
Oct '78: we see a theater on Buford Hwy that is advertising it on the Marquee- we thought it had already opened, but it didn't so my parents take my friend an i to see They Went That-away & That-away. Before the film they play the trailer (a cross between the teaser on the dvd mixed with still publicity images... very inspiring)

Dec 15: the Atlanta Constitution runs a full page ad on opening day. it looks so cool, i cut it out and save it for the next 6 yrs

Dec 21: visiting my grandmother up north, i finally get to see it. made a huge impression on me, to say the least.

April '79: after seeing it for maybe the fourth time, i finally stay to see the full credits and hear the wonderful ethereal reprise of the 'Can You Read My Mind'-sans vocals after the bombastic fanfare ends.
still one of the most beautiful pieces of music i've ever heard.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Still the greatest superhero movie of them all.
I saw it a London cinema the first week it came out, I was blown away, I was 15, the perfect age for that type of movie. I sat there mesmerised, I believed a man can fly! :)

But I was never a fan of Supe's in the comics though, he was just too super and I found him uninteresting. I was a big fan of Marvel comics in my youth, better stories, better heroes, DC comics were just not my cup of tea.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I remember buying the Superman Movie program that was available at the theater. Remember those?
Yep. I had one for both SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN II. I have no clue what happened to them, but they were great!

The first time I saw SUPERMAN was on the Sunday afternoon after it was released. I was 12, and remember waiting in a long line at the Neshaminy Mall Theater; the line wiggled it's way all the way around the mall. The movie was considered such a special event that there were no previews before it began. The curtains opened, and the black and white Warners Brothers logo appeared. From beginning to end, I was mesmerized. The opening credits flying through space to the strains of John Williams majestic score...Krypton's doom...Clark saying goodbye to Ma Kent...Superman's first flight into the camera in the Fortress of Solitude...the helicopter rescue of Lois...

I could go on and on. SUPERMAN made a tremendous impression on me, and remains one of my favorite movies, and seeing it for the first time remains an incredible memory that I'll always cherish.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've still got my Superman program somewhere, is it worth anything? I've also got other programs from that period, Star Wars, Jaws, Black Hole, Moonraker etc.
I've even got a program for Ben-Hur (1959). I'll never get rid of that. Mine!
My preciousss...:D

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there was a limited preview screening in texas.. back in march of 2001. It didn't do that well.. so they released it on dvd quickly instead. Its been playing around the country at certain theatres ever since. I a screening of it in texas and in LA. The LA audience went nuts over it. Probably the best time I have ever been to the movie where the audience was totally into. from the response.. you would not think it was a 25 year old movie.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks