Superman: The Movie 25th Anniversary Dec. 15, 2003!!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TheBat, Nov 21, 2003.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    this year marks the 25th anniversary of the classic movie with christopher reeve as the man of steele.

What are your thoughts on this classic movie? What are your memories of watching.. either in theatre, tv, or dvd/video?

JACOB

2. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    The first time I saw this movie was in 1980 on a bootleg VHS copy. I had missed the theatrical presentation. Loved it then, love it more on the DVD now available.

3. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I remember waiting in line for it. It was a big event like the first Star Wars was.
    I thought the movie was the coolest things.
    They even had kryptonite rocks on sail in the lobby.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

For me, Superman: The Movie ranks just under original Star Wars and Raiders.

I still can't get over how nice the DVD is and how I was able to see A LOT of detail that I never saw before.

There will never be another Superman movie as good as this one.

5. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Lets just say that I was honored to at one time shake Richard Donners hand when he signed my DVD of Superman. [​IMG]

I think it ranks high with X-Men as one of the great comic book films. And yes it is as good as Raiders and Jaws.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

7. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Still the best of them all after 25 years. [​IMG]

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I got off a commuter plane from San Diego to Los Angeles, drove out of LAX straight to Westwood Village in Los Angeles and stood on line for the 5 PM show on opening day. I met my lady friend who was holding a place for me. I did notice that Reeve was much skinnier in the early scenes then the later ones.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I remember how frikkin' expensive the movie ticket was for Superman! I think it cost $1/ticket more than other movies at that time. And $1 went pretty far way back when.

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I went to see it last month in the theatres (special edition version w/ 5.1 sound). The film still holds up! [​IMG]

11. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

This ranks right under Empire Strikes Back for me. I think I saw this for the first time at the drive-in. I'm not really sure though, I was only five at the time. My dad used to take me all the time, because mom hated going to the movies.

If he was still alive today I would have dragged the projector outside this summer, hooked up an old 4" dash speaker and ate day old popcorn and enjoyed every minute of it. [​IMG]

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

my Superman: The Movie timeline

July '78: Famous Monsters runs the first article on the film that i can remember seeing.
    Brando is in front of some trees wearing a black superman costume (? Huh wha?!), and Reeve is striking a classic pose in front of the Hudson River with the skyline of Manhattan behind him.
    Oct '78: we see a theater on Buford Hwy that is advertising it on the Marquee- we thought it had already opened, but it didn't so my parents take my friend an i to see They Went That-away & That-away. Before the film they play the trailer (a cross between the teaser on the dvd mixed with still publicity images... very inspiring)

Dec 15: the Atlanta Constitution runs a full page ad on opening day. it looks so cool, i cut it out and save it for the next 6 yrs

Dec 21: visiting my grandmother up north, i finally get to see it. made a huge impression on me, to say the least.

April '79: after seeing it for maybe the fourth time, i finally stay to see the full credits and hear the wonderful ethereal reprise of the 'Can You Read My Mind'-sans vocals after the bombastic fanfare ends.
    still one of the most beautiful pieces of music i've ever heard.

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Still the greatest superhero movie of them all.
    I saw it a London cinema the first week it came out, I was blown away, I was 15, the perfect age for that type of movie. I sat there mesmerised, I believed a man can fly! [​IMG]

But I was never a fan of Supe's in the comics though, he was just too super and I found him uninteresting. I was a big fan of Marvel comics in my youth, better stories, better heroes, DC comics were just not my cup of tea.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I remember buying the Superman Movie program that was available at the theater. Remember those?

15. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Still my third favorite film of all (behind Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars). I'll be seeing it tomorrow at The Colonial Theater.

Neil

16. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

A bit of trivia. The opening sequence of the film is a homage to "This Is Cinerama".

17. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I've still got my Superman program somewhere, is it worth anything? I've also got other programs from that period, Star Wars, Jaws, Black Hole, Moonraker etc.
    I've even got a program for Ben-Hur (1959). I'll never get rid of that. Mine!
    My preciousss...[​IMG]

19. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's a shame there's no re-release...I would love to see this in the theaters. I'm 23.

20. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there was a limited preview screening in texas.. back in march of 2001. It didn't do that well.. so they released it on dvd quickly instead. Its been playing around the country at certain theatres ever since. I a screening of it in texas and in LA. The LA audience went nuts over it. Probably the best time I have ever been to the movie where the audience was totally into. from the response.. you would not think it was a 25 year old movie.

JACOB