What's new

Superman/Smallville question (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And Clark and Lex being friends is arguably an homage to the original Superboy comics, where Lex and Superboy were friends until boy-genius Lex (who was a scientific genius more than a businessman pre-Byrne) lost his hair in an explosion in his lab where he was working on a "cure for Kryptonite" for Superboy. He blamed Superboy for this, of course (Silver Age motives didn't always make a whole lot of sense), and they became arch-enemies.

So I thought it was actually pretty clever to have young Lex lose his hair in the pilot because of the meteor storm - it's still something he'd resent Clark/Superman for, despite Clark being pretty much blameless.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the explosion, Superboy showed up and tried putting out the fires with super breath, and in doing so, the fumes went in Lex's direction, and Lex blamed Superboy for causing him to lose his hair from being subjected to the fumes blown his way. Thus, a nemesis was born.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Adam, Metropolis is definitely on the ocean, which puts it far away from Kansas. We also know it's thousands of miles away from Coast City, wich is on the West Coast. Plus the writers have said it's largely a standin-in for Manhattan.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Actually at a Con the producers said the shot of Metropolis being so close to Smallville was a mistaken effects shot. It's supposed to be close enough to reach by helicopter or super-run, but not visible from a Smallville tower.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
(side note: Warner Bros. bought DC Comics and forced them to pay and honor them for their creation).
Really? i can't imagine Wb being so agressively altruistic. I suppose by the 70's fandom had developed into more of an older, more insatiable-for-knowledge lot, and decided enough was enough. Also, a major movie studio might care more about its public relations then a publisher of comics.

Jeff, you yourself pointed at cases where you would draw the line on what is and what is not correct Superman continuity. Why do you think you are the judge and jury on what is and what is not canon?

As has been mentioned several times, Superman's continuity has been modified several times. Donnor's interpretation? Well for one thing, I belive it was both of Superman's parents who died in the original story, not just Pa. Uperman comics up until the 1990's never really made any attempt to make heads or tails of the characters' background history. Other then Superboy comics, which weren't meant to iluminate on history, but simply go with a gimmick of Superman as a boy.

Aos, I hope never to see him fly. It has and would suck on a TV budget.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Aos, I hope never to see him fly. It has and would suck on a TV budget.
Considering how well it worked in 1978 using opticals, I fail to see how it wouldn't work on a modern TV budget using CG

And yes, both parents were dead in the comics. Donnor got the heart and soul of the story correct. There is a love for the essence of Superman that pours out of that film where Smallville is just a pretty-boy void

I stand by my Disney analogy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks