Superman Serials from 1948 and 1950

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill Williams, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

With "Superman Returns" currently finishing production for its June 2006 release date, and with talks of the four Christopher Reeve films receiving 2-discs SEs next year as well, not to mention the release of AOS S1 last week, and the upcoming releases of Superman: TAS S2 in December, AOS S2 and Lois and Clark S2 in January, there's one area of Superman lore that remains unknown at this time: the two Kirk Alyn "Superman" serials.

As we know, Columbia Pictures produced two 15-chapter serials with Kirk Alyn as the Man of Steel, "Superman" in 1948 and "Atom Man vs. Superman" in 1950. Both of these serials were previously issued on VHS back in the late 1980's, but has there been any talk of Warner Home Video doing new DVD releases of these serials? I think it would be great, especially since it seems like 2006 is gearing up to be Superman's year. What's the latest scoop?

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

It's pretty much a no brainer that they'll put these out to tie in with the new feature film.

3. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

Columbia did the same thing this year with the Batman serials.

4. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Only "Superman" was released on LD and they screwed that up, but the VHS was okay. They didn't use either the opening or closing scenes (not sure about wihich one, I am at work).

It would be nice to have them, but I wouldn't hold my breath!