What's new

Superman Returns is back on the Pre-order list (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Like the header says, DVD Empire, and I assume the other on-line retailers, have put back Superman Returns on their preorder list. Time to order.

HD-DVD is a combo disk HD30/SD15

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
For those of us that can play both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, Warner has given us a chance to vote against "combo discs" with are wallets.

You want a cheaper 'single format' disc of Superman Returns? Choose the Blu-ray disc title this time around.:)

Paul

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
For the sound yes, but one should also have to weigh the video potential :eek: of this 1080p/VC-1 Codec that is spread over the BD-50 Dual-Layer Disc vs. the HD-15/DVD-9 Double-Sided Combo Disc.

Paul

Dennis Maricic

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis

Ummm, it's a 30/9 HD DVD. Where will there be a picture difference vs the Blu Ray?:confused:

Plus with the HD DVD you'll get TrueHD vs standard DD on the Blu Ray.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm not going to 'vote with my wallet' for an inferior sound track. Also I don't value the "potential" of some extra empty space surrounding the same VC-1 recording as on a HD DVD high enough to make up for the lossy sound on the BD.

Cees

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

With the same codec, a BD-50 Dual-Layer Disc would have much more storage capacity, potentially allowing less if any, codec compression than with even a HD-30/DVD-9 disc, IF, HIGH-DEF DIGEST is in error.

Paul

MarekM

Supporting Actor
at digitalbits, I think it was confirmed it is 30/9 combo...

15GB, for long movie with DolbyTruHD hmm that's not enough...

Marek

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

it's not about the money, it's about the choice to either get a hd-dvd or a sd-dvd. i prefer single format disc and none double sided discs.

i just may grab the u.k. hd-dvd for this as it comes as hd-dvd only.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Paul, I think it is practically certain that Warner Brothers in not compressing this twice. I think we can expect the exact same single encode used for both formats. And yes, the HD DVD is an HD30/9.

The only difference between them should be that the HD DVD gets the Dolby TruHD track.

It is crazy that the BD isn't getting a lossless track. It will certainly have the space for it since it is using the VC-1 encode and not MPEG-2.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
comparing the price of a non combo hd dvd to the combo price
this hd dvd is $8 more.
at least on amazon.
reg price is usually $20 this combo is $28.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, that would include the higher "market value" of this very recent and popular film. Not just the "value" (NOT!) of the combo version.

The proper comparison (if there is such a thing) is with the equivalent (almost, that is) BD version of the same movie.

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of Warner's pricing is all over the map in regard to some of their titles that had theatrical releases over the last nine months or so. Just look at the MSRP for three of those titles in which two of them are combo discs, but they're priced differently.
  • Poseidon a combo release with a 34.99 MSRP
  • V For Vendetta HD DVD release only with a 28.99 MSRP
  • Superman Returns another combo release with a 39.99 MSRP

I am sure some of their pricing strategy is tied to them trying to recoup as much of their production costs as possible from each title and we know that Superman Returns cost a lot more to make than those other two titles.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

that may be true but it doesnt justify a higher price for me.

it is still $8 higher then what i'm willing to pay for other hd dvds that have the same content.

this sounds like the same strategy lately of sd dvd.

that being the new 2 disc spec ed being a significantly higher price then just a few years ago for the same content on 1 or even 2 discs.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The BD lists at 34.95, Amazon had it at 24.95 last time I checked. The HD DVD is 27.95.
I have to say that for a title like this which is a must own for me, I would have payed even 39.95 for it with TrueHD if I absolutely had to. I won't pay that for a film that I'm only mildly interested in, but films like SUPERMAN and STAR WARS will always have me opening my wallet wider if I have to.

I'm a veteran of the Laserdisc days, and I remember buying Criterion lasers for around 100 bucks. So the prices of BD's and HD DVD's don't bother me. If I started collecting when the DVD exploded(and you could get great titles with extras for around 15 bucks), I might feel differently.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i bought criterions for over $125 myself.

but these arent lasers and the prices shouldnt be the same as that.

the prices i mentioned are just for hd dvd.
$28 for the supes combo compared to other combos are right around 22-25 on amazon.
regular hd dvdss are $20.

$8 more for supes.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As a little sidetrack: did you guys notice that the pricing of the HD DVD (around $20) seems to have pushed the price of SDVD down a litlle bit more? I see more and more titles priced at $14 (and lower!) than there used to be, and > $18 is almost starting to become the exception.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks