What's new

Superman Returns HD-DVD Review (some spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
I normally don't post early reviews like this, but since there seems to be a total lack of reviews elsewhere on the net...and the quality of the disc is quite surprising, here goes.

First, the good. True-HD sound is phonomenal. Best I've heard, period.

Now, the not so good. Video quality terribly inconsistent. The most dissapointing part of the video seems to be the compression, which is noticebly poor. The scene where Sup's is hanging outside Lois' house and looking in on her and Richards conversation...look at the brown wall behind Richard. Movement all over the place. This is only one example..there are others. The really strange part is scences that I thought would look bad (like the the fake Krypton scene at the end) looked pretty great. The scence where Sup's gets beat up by Luthors henchman I thought looked really good. Good color and great contrast. Detail captures everything here too. But other scenes in the Daily Planet bathed in daylight don't look that great. ..very noisy.

If I could think of one way to describe it...if anyone has seen a movie that was shot digitally, but downconverted and projected on film, its close to that. When I saw "Once upon a Time in Mexico" on film I remember seeing the same type of grain and "unnatural" color. I can't totally blame it on the way the film was shot as I do think the poor compression job is most of the culprit. I'm just not happy with the fact that Warner decides to make this a single disc with extras, lossless soundtracks, and what the hell, lets throw in the 480p version on the other side of the disc for the hell of it(never was a fan of combos).

Don't get me wrong, some scenes do display great color and detail, but for a film this length and that has such a wide color palette, its pretty dissapointing.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. (I am looking forward to the extras and will probably watch the documentary this weekend).

Chris

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The movie looks phenominal to me in 1080i. One of the best HD discs I have seen thus far. I do not see what you are talking about. This dvd has me convinced Blu Ray has the power to be as good as the ref HDDVD's...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If this turns out to be less than stellar PQ, count me out!
Hoorah, for TrueHD!!!
I saw 'funny stuff' with the presentation at IMAX.
Thanks for the early review.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
ED,
Don't worry... It looks absolutely amazing!!!

Oooops...... I missed that. I am playing the Blu Ray version.. :) Sorry, not comparing apples to apples here.... Anyhow Blu Ray version Thumbs up!!!

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, have you seen it in both HD and Blue-Ray? I was curious about picking up the Blue-Ray to see if it's any better.

I have to be honest here, Steve. I think when this disc comes out and people get a hold of it, you will be in the minority in terms of your love for the transfer. FWIW, I'm running the A1 directly to a Toshiba 62hm195 via Bettercable HDMI. ISF calibrated. While I feel my monitor is average at best and by no means reference, I do think that it's on par with what most people will be experiencing on these forums.

Also, the last 3 hd-dvd's I've purchased (M:I:3, Nacho Libre, King Kong) all represented the films as good or better than what I saw projected in the cinema. I cannot say the same for SR.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Maybe this is the same thing as Sam Posten experienced when he watched King Kong on HD DVD. He thought he saw some mosquito noise around a dinosaur's mouth - backs it up and it turns out it's actually a mosquito. In this case maybe Lois and Richard have a horrible cockroach infestation. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Disc capacity has no bearing at all on the PQ in this instance. They're the same VC-1 transfer.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Just got back from presenting this at an outdoor theatre...

The HD-DVD of "Supes" looked incredible on a 20 foot diag screen....

So, if anyone is having issues.... set-up must be at fault....

This disc transfer is the same for the BD and HD discs.... 30 gigs.... both formats.

Dugger

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I fully understand the BD & HD DVD are using the same codec.
You know for sure they are also using the same bit rate?
Thanks.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I didn't say codec, did I? :D If Warner follows their past pattern with dual format releases on this title then the transfer is the same for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD releases.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The disc is 30 gigs on both the HD-DVD and the BD....

Same codec..... Only difference is the audio as the HD is TrueHD.

As for the Outdoor Theatre.....

I am displaying on a matte white custom screen. Projecting back about 15 to 20 feet using a Panamorph U85.

Projector used is a ViewSonic PJ862. This is an LCD pushing approx 3100 Lumens.

Dugger

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Here we go again. I swear, I don't remember opinions being this polarized during the release of SD titles, even back in the day. Perhaps my memory is faulty.

Maybe it has something to do with our national frame of mind. Hearing opinions on PQ for HD's (and not just on this forum), is like listening to a debate between a Democrat and a Republican...there's no common experience between them, and when the subject comes to George Bush, you can't believe that they're talking about the same person. :eek:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Here we go again. I swear, I don't remember opinions being this polarized during the release of SD titles, even back in the day. Perhaps my memory is faulty.

Maybe it has something to do with our national frame of mind. Hearing opinions on PQ for HD's (and not just on this forum), is like listening to a debate between a Democrat and a Republican...there's no common experience between them, and when the subject comes to George Bush, you can't believe that they're talking about the same person. :eek:

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I work in DVD/HDDVD/BD. Warner absolutely uses the same transfer using the exact same bit rate for both BD and HDDVD. VC-1 compression for a feature length movie runs in the tens of thousands of dollars. They're not going to pay for that twice just to up the bit rate for the BD release.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
TrueHD...I'm all over it come Tuesday. I was going to pass as everyone was saying DD+ only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks