What's new

Superman Rebooted (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why does Warner keep trying to go back to the well with this character? There is nothing you can do with this character in film. Superman is just a useless character for translation to film. He can't be made dark because his personality and extensive backstory cannot allow it. OTOH, there isn't any dramatic theme big enough to challenge the character. He is too strong, too good, and too perfect.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, Johnny Depp was being signed to play WW.
He has amazing range, I just know he'll pull it off.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. Nothing can really stop him, until they pull out the all powerful kryptonite. Then we know that superman falls down, finds a way around it, then kicks a little ass, but not too much ass because it has to stay interesting. It's all way to predictable for me. I need a really great story. The last one was a snooze fest, IMO (!)

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

Why does it have to be something stopping him? Why can't it be a moral dilemma?

What if he sparks a controversy that gets out of hand, or a choice that he makes backfires? There is still a good story to tell.

In fact, Superman II didn't fall back on the Kryptonite story, and quite honestly, could have been one of the greatest comic book films of all time, if not for the behind the scenes politics involved.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's true, Superman does not necessairly need to be in danger of dying

With the exeption of "Batman Begins" I would be hard pressed to think of a time when Batman was ever in any real danger of being killed. And he doesn't have any super powers.

As far as controvery goes, there could be some ideas there. As horrible as it turned out, there was actually a seed of an interesting idea behind Superman IV.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Do they want to open the can of worms of the world and how really screwed up humanity is? And how does Superman, with his god-like powers, factor into that?

Does he have a moral responsibility to save everyone?

If a character like Superman was actually put into the real world today, he'd probably be deified, celebrated, reviled, called the anti-Christ, despised, etc. etc. all in equal parts. Some people would probably try and kill him, governments and even the CIA would likely be worried that he'd try to assert himself as an all-powerful ruler, etc. etc.

Here's a whopper of a moral conundrum -- does Superman have the moral obligation of asserting himself "ruler" of Earth? To save humanity from destroying itself? You may say no, but what if that could save millions of lives? He is after all incorruptible, unfailingly good ... right? Why shouldn't he run the world then, versus say corrupt politicians and power-hungry tyrants? What if the majority of the earth's population wanted that? Isn't he the lesser of two evils?

There is some deeper material there that they could explore.

I think for the villain they will have to look at the comics and then pick one of the more "sci-fi-ey" villains and put a new spin on them in the context of the movie's theme, the same way Nolan really has made Batman's villains fit the "Begins universe" rather than trying to stay faithful note-for-note with the comic books.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just hope they skip any type of origin story. I mean really, in this day and age, even the most uninformed person has a vague sense of who Superman is (flies, is just, stops bullets). So throw him into some action with little explanation.

Have Lex set up some crap, then reveal that Braniac was behind it all and sick Parasite on Supes so we can finally have a Knock out battle. Doing it that way, you escalte the villians so that people get used to the more sci-fi elements.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!!

Superman is not dark. He is a beacon of light, for hrist's sake!

My only problem is one that many share. Donner's SUPERMAN cannot be topped, so why try? William's music IS Superman's theme and nothing else will do.

Warner Bros. has an uphill battle. They can't win on this one, no matter what they do and rebooting AGAIN will just give us HULK REDUX. A film that is destined to do ok and nothing more.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll never get the love for the Donner one. As a kid, and revisiting it now... it's slow, miscast (Margot Kidder is horrendous to watch), unnecessarily childish, campy... only thing good about it is the score.

If not for that stupid Kid plot point, SR was decent enough. That Superman rescuing the crashing plane bit was great. It just sucked he didn't have a decent villain to face.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Pete D- those are all rich questions and just the kind that a good filmmaker (who wants to bring this property into the 21st century) should be exploring.
In fact there is so much dramactic potential within them, that a costumed villan would likely be superfluous and silly. Superman would be as much hated and feared, as revered and idolized...probably moreso. He would do what he does because these are the values instilled in him- not by some conceptual biological parents- but by flesh and blood beings who nurtured him day in and day out. He is honouring their memory not jockeying for public approval which he knows is fickle and easily manipulated . If by 'dark' they mean to seriously inquire what the world would look like with a Superman in it (which wouldn't honestly be any more utopian than our world now) then I'm all for that. These were concepts that sailed right over Singers head, so I'm all for a more circumspect storyteller taking the reins.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We have plenty of superhero movies where the hero is hated and feared. Almost all of them, actually. I like that Superman is a symbol of hope that everyone admires. That doesn't need to change.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't have to...if the goal is to keep the property the province of a non discerning 10 and under or "WWF RULEZ!" audience.
But if you want to treat this character seriously, certain dominoes are going to have to fall, and you have to confront the basic fact the just about every form of government in the world (especially the hierarchies of the major world religions) would feel their sovereignty or authority under threat by a being like this- including the US. Though they would likely make a big show about celebrating 'a home-team hero' in public (which has geopolitical advantages) behind the scenes you can be damned certain they would be trying to nail every aspect of this guy down...and be very anxious and on edge when they find they can't.
Comics have grown up and this stuff is going to come with the territory for all super-powered characters now- unless you are purposefully shooting for a lighter whimsical approach- which entails the very kinds of elements many people now profess to hate about the first Donner film.
Superman should still conduct himself with a wink and a smile with 'regular folk', but swirling around him are going to be all kinds of little traps designed to chip away at his image from anyone who feels under threat by him- which includes a lot more power players than just one big corporate bald guy.
Superman IS an idealistic hero and he should always be so (not a deadbeat dad or casual once a month father-ugh). But the problem is that genuine idealism is going to illuminate the insidiousness of the simple minded, empty jingoistic kind that is so prevelant. People went ballistic when they thought the phrase "American Way" was being dissed. I think their heads would explode if they ever had to see Superman purposefully go against US interests

Pete-D

Screenwriter
If you honestly kind of humor the situation ... if Superman was real, the CIA would immediately be commissioned to start gathering Kryptonite to kill him -- even if he was a goody two shoes. But they'd have to make it look like an accident because no doubt he'd be beloved by millions of the public and have a very strong following, obviously a religious like following most likely.

I mean if Batman/Bruce Wayne was struggling with copy-cat wannabes in Gotham, Superman would have it 1000x worse with people claiming him to be a religious deity and worshipping him and what not.

The threat he would pose to the government would be very interesting also; such a being would be a huge compromise to national security. He could basically wake up one morning and overthrow the government if he wanted to and the military wouldn't be able to do anything about it. He would have to be killed by those in power, and it wouldn't just be Lex Luthor leading the charge -- every government suit from the president on down would want the guy dead.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I think the one character a reboot needs more than anything else is...Krypto.
Not that he has to be super-powered. Just a dog that Superman rescues and decides to adopt. What Kal-el needs is a mute sounding board who isn't going to 'fix' his problems the way an all powerful Jor-el or his folksy farm parents would. He needs someone that he can muse to about Lois or about the forces that he thinks are conspiring against him-a dog would be a friendly ear keeping the atmosphere light, but at the same time showing how alone he actually is. Alone, but not lonely-sensitive but not mopey and depressed.
This character needs a dog more than it needs a Darkseid smackdown.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow. And you didn't like Hackman in the Luthor role?

Childish? I guess I was watching a different version than you. It was quite gritty in spots. Children and adults can enjoy this film equally, the sign of a great film!
Miscast?? Christopher Reeve as Superman....yeah, big mistake

Donner's Superman is fantastic. It deserves every bit of praise it receives. Truly epic on every level.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Whut did U say after this? My 10 and under brain couldn't comprehend.

Lot of condescending jerks in this thread.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Superman vs Darkseid or Brainiac = Im there.

And yes I think both can work on film. Both would also carry on with the why the world needs Superman theme of Singers film and carry a Superman film/story foward.

Get away from his origin and forget about Luthor. A reboot is a big mistake.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

TerryRL can confirm this, but the reason SR had legs was because it continually played in IMAX 3D well into the fall. And I doubt those IMAX theaters were letting it play past its sell date since they would have been losing money otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks