Superman Anthology (1978 - 1987) Possible?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Sandhu, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

With the Warner Bros. precedent set with the first four Batman movies in the Anthology set. Do you guys think that when Superman Returns is released on DVD (most likely this time next year) we will see something similarly done with the first four Superman movies?

I know the first four movies have already been released, but only the first one got any treatment at all.

2. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

they just released the first four Superman movies in the uk along with the exorcist and lethal weapon movies (as supes 3+4 were not available in the uk)
    no extras besides the normal 2 sided superman 1

3. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

I thought that was the rumoured plan. Included might also be the "Superman II" Director's Cut. It would definitely make sense for them to follow the same pattern as the Batman set and release just in time when "Superman Returns" is coming to DVD.

4. Kenny Neal

Kenny Neal Stunt Coordinator

I'd buy an SE of the first movie if the extras or A/V quality was an improvement over the existing disc (or if it was the theatrical cut).

I'd buy an SE of the second film if it was recut per Richard Donner's direction.

I'll never buy the third and fourth; they're just not watchable in my opinion.

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the Batman movies as well.

An anthology box set would be a waste to me.

5. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

i would get the forth if it was the workprint

6. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I agree with Kenny, except I would buy II as is BUT would prefer a more 'Donner-ized' version.

7. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

See this thread here , or check the Supermancinema site for some info. SII seems to be the main one anyone is interested in.

8. Alex cosmo

Alex cosmo Stunt Coordinator

If they did the "Donner-ish" version of 2, I would buy 3 and 4 out of sheer gratitude.

9. Paul Sandhu

I'd buy all four just to complete the set.

Can you imagine commentary on the fourth one though?

10. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

apparently that is actally the plan. I will buy all four. if i can handle Batman and Robin i can handle Superman 4

11. Brent C

Brent C Stunt Coordinator

I'd be happy with the current SE of S:TM being included if it was a two disc keepcase instead of the dreaded flipper in the snapper.

12. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

I would buy a "Superman Anthology" in a hearbeat. I would love 2-disc SE's of all 4 films, "Batman Anthology" style.

I would especially like to see a Donner cut of Superman II, however, I would really want the theatrical cut included and hopefully cleaned up to the level of the current Superman: The Movie disc.

I never want the theatrical versions done away with.

I also want the theatrical cut of Superman: The Movie. PLEASE.

And tons of extras/docs/commentaries on all 4 films! (Hey, if Batman and Robin gets documentaries and commentary, anything is possible)

Of course, if the mythical 134 minute Superman 4 exists, I would love to see it.

Honestly though, I would go for theatrical cuts of all 4 films with massive deleted scenes sections for each one. I would be happy with that. Realistically though, I know I would buy a Superman Anthology set regardless. All 4 films (yes, all of them) brought me so much fun as a child. They all are special to me - even 3 & 4.

I'm not asking for much! :lol:

13. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

This one's already a must-buy for me, and I've told my wife this a year or so in advance, no further discussion from me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

I'm sure they'll release an anthology gift set of all 4 movies as 2 disc special editions, but I doubt they'll include director's cuts. That would be giving it to us all at once. What studio does that these days? They'll probably save that for a later release.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

A Superman II Donner Cut would be nice, but if not, just restore the current version and give it a nice 5.1 soundtrack like the first movie.

16. Paul Sandhu

Someone needs to ask Warner Bros. about this ASAP.

I also can imagine them using a similar box art scheme. It work well and they would look awesome together on the same shelf.

17. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

There WILL be a boxset next year which will includes new interviews on at least the first three films.

Fingers crossed that the 2 hour Superman 4 workprint makes it.

18. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

That is good news. Visit your site daily, Dharmesh - one of the best! [​IMG]

I really hope WB knocks one out of the park with this set.

Theatrical versions of all 4 films with 5.1 + deleted scenes and/or alternate cuts of the 2 and 4 (you never know).

Also, am I the only one that would like to see some adjustments in the "look" of Superman III? There are some scenes where wires are now visible that (at least to me) were never visible before. Now, Superman IV, the wires and all were always visible - just look at the scene where the SWAT guy floats out of the van!! [​IMG]

Anyways, I am really looking forward to this set. I have loved what I have watched of the Batman set so far. Great work!

19. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

If they do new cuts for 2 and 4 I highly doubt you'll get the theatrical cuts you also want for space reasons. One film on first disk, tons of extras on second is the pattern they set with Batman.

20. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

I could live with that. Still have my theatrical cuts (except S:TM) on the current discs. I am not worried about them ever going all George Lucas like revisionist on me and pretending the theatricals never existed.

Either way, I am excited at the prospect of new releases of these films. [​IMG]