What's new

Superman and Superman 2 re-release details? (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Was looking to pick up Superman and maybe a few of the other ones for the kids to see. When I was looking it seems there will be a re-release of the first two in a set to be released on 1/18. Anybody have any details?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
It's probably just a re-packaging/repricing. If there were going to be any new material, I'm sure we would have heard about it.

Might check out this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=superman

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Wouldn't it be nice if Warner's included the original edit and the original sound mix on Superman - The Movie? I'd buy it again.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
In a heartbeat. As a lifelng fan of the film, I do not really like the extended/new scenes and as cool as the new audio mix sounds, it does not sound right if you have seen/heard Superman innumerable times. I would be all over a theatrical cut with the original sound mix!!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i think its a safe bet that when the new movie is released in 2006, Warner will be putting out ,at least the first two films, in HD.

that will probably be the title that seriously causes me to cave in.
it was in anticipation of getting the dvd release back in 2001 that made me buy my first rear projection set, which led to my first front projector 6 months later.
i suspect this will be the same film that ushers me into HD...whenever that will be.

and while i think a couple of the new scenes are improvments to the film (the 'phantom zone' explination leads gracefully into Jor-els outburst, and i like the way Trevor Howard gives his reading- and also the 3 trials on the way to Luthor is a 'fun' sequence that i don't have a problem with)
other than these i don't like the majority of the other addtions and would happily take the original cut over this one.
the new 5.1 track doesn't bother me at all, but i would love to see the original put on there as well.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
If I could take out the Brando extended scene when Superman returns to the Fortress I would be happy. That's a big flow break for me.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i agree with you Doug about the Fortress scene.
everytime i have played the movie, apart from first getting the dvd, i've chapter skipped as the AFO sequence comes to an end.
another addition i really hate is the Donner cameo "that'll be the day...")i always loved the way the tv newscast in the store window cut directly to the newscast in the 'patio lair'.
another one i really don't like is the train sequence with Noel and Kirk. not only does it really chop up what was a seemless sequence (from clarks POV), but it intorduces a continuity error by presenting Lois as considerably younger than Clark.
while i do like the other scenes i mentioned, on the whole the new cut of the film is defintely inferior.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

You left out the horrible performances.

The best thing about the 2001 "restoration" was the fact that the picture was completely restored and the original tapes for John Williams' score were found. It looks gorgeous and the music sounds better than it ever did. The re-edit is disappointing though, as is the new sound mix. Who is shaking the chandelier and the box of broken glass during the destruction of Krypton? Why are there squeaky gears heard when the dome opens?

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Count me in the camp that doesn't like the added Jor-El scene. I mean, sure I guess it is a touching scene and all, but it totally kills the flow of that part of the movie. Also, there is a drastic change in Superman's appearance, since all the fortress scenes were shot very first thing during filming, Reeve looks much smaller and skinnier in that scene with Brando. I wish the added scenes would have just been placed in a deleted scenes section, or used seemless branching. Still, it is an awesome disc and one of my favorites.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
I love the brando seen. since i haven't seen the original edit in so long, i can't comment.

but it makes the heroes journey feel more epic. even superman can make mistakes, but his character always learns from them.

this also stress the importance of his parental figures to him. being tutored by jor-el for his early life, and also having him on record, jor-el's taeachings are part of his pwersona.

flow questions aside, I treasure the scene.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mind the additional scenes. It helped explain better why Jor-El couldn't leave and fill in the entire opening sequence of the movie -- it always seemed a bit "choppped" to me when watching the theatrical version. The other scenes (bullets, fire & ice and the scene where he's talking to Jor-El) gave you a little extra insight into Superman's character and his invincibility. Sure, nothing added was absolutely essential (rarely ever is), but I think they added a little extra icing on the cake. If I had to choose the most important scene(s) of the new cut, it would definitely be the beginning sequence on Krypton. It was never logical to me why he would stay when he knew the planet was going to blow-up. The new cut gave me the reason.

Although beaten like a dead horse, I would be perfectly happy if Warner performed the same type of restoration on Superman 2 -- even with the existing cut.

As far as Superman 3 and 4....well.....wait.....there never was a Superman 3 and 4. Sorry. :)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The scene that should have been in the cut is Superman waiting for the Hackensack rocket...the f/x required a little work, but I think it's essential that it was included.

Reeve and Brando sequence is poorly written; it ruins the flow the film.

Reeve and Brando in a possible recut of Supes 2...now that's mouthwatering. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

Man, wouldn't we all love to see that. Heck, I'd even be happy with the extended cuts of 2 and 3 that were on ABC in the 80's cause that's the vhs dubbed versions I watched ad nauseum.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Now that the new Superman film seems to finally be going forward, I think that WB should start working on new SEs of the films.

I think for Superman: The Movie, they should do a 4 disc set. Disc One should be Donner's Director's cut as it exists now, disc two should be the theatrical version with the original sound effects track restored (if it is possible) disc Three should be the all footage "KCOP" version of the film. Disc four should contain all the special features currently available and whatever else they would like to add.

They should start working on a Donner Re-Cut for Superman II, if this is not possible, we need at least a new SE of the film with a new transfer and a 5.1 mix (I recently watched STM and SII back to back and the difference in the transfers was night and day) If we can't get a full blown Donner Re-cut, we should get the theatrical version and the "KCOP" version and whatever special features available, perhaps a documentary about the issues surrounding the film.

For Superman III (not a good film, but one at the very least, I can tolerate) The theatrical version and the extended television version and whatever other materials exist.

Superman IV: TQFP the theatrical cut and the original extended cut (if it still exists)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

lois is considerably younger then clark.
in the comics he first appears as superman after being in the fortress for about 10 year.
he is in his mid to late 30's.
not sure how old he is suposed to be in the movie but he seems to be about 30.
it.s never really mentioned what age frame lois is but around 25 would be a good estimate.
even a little older would be right for both of them so even if lois was 28ish then it isnt a stretch to figure kent to be about 33ish.

dring that train sequence he is still in high school, right? so he is about 16 or 17.
lois is about 10-12 so she really is only about 5 years younger then him in the movie. and that is about right.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In the comics, I think Supes is supposed to be 29. That number always stuck with me - someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I recall!

Anyway, the movie kid Lois looks to be about 10 years younger than its Clark, and that's way off base. It's a cute moment, though, so in the end, who cares? :D

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I wonder if Donner actually watched the DVD cut of the picture 'cos some of the scenes don't work - these scenes were cut for a reason:

The trial by bullets, fire and ice
Reeve and Brando in the fortress
Leaving Home extension
Krypton Sentry officer

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
getting back on the topic, I was over at sam's club they had the superman and superman 2 package together.. same with catwoman and batman returns.. its just a re-release of the dvds sets.. not new versions.

JACOB

Jo_C

Second Unit

As I explained many times before on the various Superman fan sites (including the acclaimed Superman Cinema site), the "KCOP" version is actually the Salkind International Extended Cut, a version the Salkinds pieced together for television back in 1981, prior to ABC's first telecast a year later. Footage was added in order for the Salkinds to get more money (they were charging by the minute for the TV rights). Its first known domestic showing was on KCOP in Los Angeles (now that area's UPN station) in 1994 (which is where the version gets its alternate moniker).

I myself did an interview many years back with Michael Thau, producer of the 2000 restoration, and he states if "Superman" had been released in the form it took on television, it would have been "one drawn-out picture". Of course, this was before "Alan Smithee" became a well-known name, so if director Richard Donner had the chance in those days, he would have taken his name off the picture for television the way David Lynch did when "Dune" first aired in syndication in its "long" version.

With that in mind, I seriously doubt Warner Bros. would release a version Donner would not have his consent to, let alone the KCOP/Salkind TV cut. The least they could do would be to include ALL the deleted scenes on a supplementary disc with the unused music in context.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks