What's new

Pre-Order Superman 5-Film Collection (1978-1987) and Amazon SteelBook Exclusive (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this, but what was wrong with the initial 4K release of Superman: the movie?
I have watched it and it looked really fine to me.
Apparently the maintainer of the Caped Wonder fan site has sources within MPI who say they've redone the transfer. One flaw in the previous transfer was a dark dupe source was used for Superman flying past the pimp to save Lois shot because the negative was torn, but now they can use the negative and digitally fix the tear. Another flaw was an orange flash frame over Christopher Reeve's credit. It was an early 4K transfer for MPI which was rushed to meet the 40th anniversary deadline and this time they took their time to do it right. Another complaint was the yellowish hue applied to the Kryptonian white costumes. Also the plaster in the breakaway parts of Hoover dam was a different colour, giving away the effect in the 4K. The previous blu-ray transfer had fixed that so they can fix it again for the new 4K.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Will Superman: The Movie be the theatrical cut only? No special editions or TV cut, is that correct?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Retail release is now up for preorder

81zW6tOcLoL._SL1500_.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you read the press release, nowhere does it indicate that there is a new remaster of SUPERMAN being included in this set. You would think, in order to sell the set, the studio would specifically mention it.

So, it looks like we are getting a repackaging of the original transfer, that is, unless other information surfaces.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Note that there should be additional versions of this boxed set available shortly as well as stand-alone 4k releases of SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN II (both cuts). Will keep preorders posted as they come in.
I have the digital 4K of Superman: The Movie; since SDS is no longer issuing digital codes with their titles in Canada, I'll be in for the first two, and that's it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It is unfortunate that they've once again skipped the 2001 cut of S:TM. This time there really is no excuse.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If you read the press release, nowhere does it indicate that there is a new remaster of SUPERMAN being included in this set. You would think, in order to sell the set, the studio would specifically mention it.

So, it looks like we are getting a repackaging of the original transfer, that is, unless other information surfaces.
According to Hunt its the same transfer albeit upgraded with Dolby Vision. Maybe the "new transfer" was for the portion that had to be reconstituted from a dupe.

Also (and this will thrill Neil to no end) the original 1978 5.1 has apparently been reencoded in DTS-HD MA lossless.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
According to Hunt its the same transfer albeit upgraded with Dolby Vision. Maybe the "new transfer" was for the portion that had to be reconstituted from a dupe.

Also (and this will thrill Neil to no end) the original 1978 5.1 has apparently been reencoded in DTS-HD MA lossless.

The previous UHD was Dolby Vision, too. And I really hope that original audio is actually the 5.1 taken from the 70mm mix and not the old stereo as the back cover floating around seems to indicate (which of course might not be final). Of course, they could include both the 5.1 and the 2.0. Maybe that's the plan?

At any rate, that's very disappointing if this really doesn't include that new remaster of the first film that's been discussed online recently. I don't have as big a problem with the current UHD as others do, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

As mentioned, the current disc already has Dolby Vision so there's no change. For this to be a worthwhile visual upgrade, they'd have to fix the orange flash-frame on Christopher Reeve's credit in the opening titles and re-grade other sequences that are lacking on the current disc. Going to another source for the sequence where Lex springs the Kryptonite on Superman would also be beneficial.

The back of the box indicates the UHD DTS-HD MA tracks are "English 2.0" without any exception made for Superman - The Movie. Compare that to the Blu-ray specs, which are specific: "English 5.1 (Except Superman IV: The Quest for Peace) & 2.0 (Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace)."

I fear the disc has been re-authored and the fabulous 70mm six-track has been removed.

Britton

Screenwriter
I’m definitely not preordering this box with a press release still leaving us all speculating regarding what is and isn’t on the S:TM UHD BR. Who even knows if the WB “rep” Bill Hunt communicated with has accurate info?

All in all I’m happy enough with the 2018 release, even with that orange flash in the credits. It sounds like the movie I grew up watching (even better) and the video is much superior to the muddy, worn out VHS.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The back of the box indicates the UHD DTS-HD MA tracks are "English 2.0" without any exception made for Superman - The Movie. Compare that to the Blu-ray specs, which are specific: "English 5.1 (Except Superman IV: The Quest for Peace) & 2.0 (Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace)."

I fear the disc has been re-authored and the fabulous 70mm six-track has been removed.

That would really make no sense.

Unless the people preparing the audio are under the impression that the 5.1 on the 2018 was a remix, and are swapping it out with the "original audio" because surely that must be 2.0. :rolleyes:

I just hope the back cover is in error; it's happened before. Maybe it'll have the 5.1 and 2.0 on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks