Superman 4 - What's so bad?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I haven't seen this movie in a long time...and while the effects look horrible....even for a late 80's movie, the movie itself is better than Part 3 was.

The UN scene was fun...even if it was a guy in his pajamas walking into the UN to declare war on nukes..
. I also can't help but wonder if throwing all those nukes into the sun would have been a good thing, as far as sun stabilization goes

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've never understood the bad rap that Superman IV gets. It's no masterpiece and I'm not a big fan of Superman flying Lois around the world again, but it's far from horrible. It may be too short and fast paced for some, but I think that works in its favor a bit.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I haven't seen it in years but I liked it better than S3.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Sorry Norm and Neil, I have to respectfully disagree. While both films and even Superman II don't stand up well to the original, the battle in the junkyard between Superman's split personality in Supes III is far better than all of Superman IV: The Quest for A Script.

And if given a choice, I would rather watch a Supeman film with Richard Pryor in it as opposed to one with Ducky from Pretty in Pink.

But when it's all said and done, I can watch Supes III and IV for the nostalgia value and enjoy them both as very whimsical adventures. To be honest I'd take Superman III and IV over Superman Returns any day. But that's just my humble opinion, so please any Bryan Singer fans don't get upset.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
To list but a few:

-Lenny Luthor ("Whoa, the DUDE of steel")
-Nuclear Man ("I want the woman. If you do not giver her to me, I will hurt People!")
-Superman's new "brick laying" eye power.
-Lacey, her character and her performance.
-Telling Lois he's Superman, flying her around and then giving her the magic kiss so she'd forget.

Superman III is bad, but there are parts that work -- the Smallville scenes, Superman's dueling identities. IV is just a train wreck from beginning to end.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
wait until you see the deleted scenes on the superman 4 dvd disc. its even worse then what we got.

I also prefer superman 3 over superman 4. a least 3 was more complete.

Jacob

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The film is edited into incoherence, the special effects would have even looked awful in a Z fifties sci-fi flick, the settings are low grade(a Milton Keynes office building subs for the UN, etc.), Lacey Warfield being able to breathe in space, the terrible casting of even the bit parts, etc. ad nauseum.

There are a few good things-Reeve, Kidder and Hackman are all fine, and Alexander Courage's arrangement of the John Williams music is well done-but overall this is one of the worst films released by a major studio in the last twenty years. Listen to the writers commentary on the new DVD, he goes into detail on how the film was destroyed by the producers even before it went into production.

I think SUPERMAN III is a fairly good film with a lot wrong with it. IV is a disaster.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Lenny Luthor - Don't hit me, but I found that to be a rather fun character, even if he was put in there by the suits to address a 'young' audience, which I hate to the umpteenth degree.

-Nuclear Man was fun.....but the whole plot on how he knew to go to the building superman was in was a bit confusing. Did I miss something in the headline? BTW.... 'FavoUrite'? Who put the u in there? >

I didn't mind the character of Lacy. What I did mind was the obvious gaffe that she could breath in space....AND that she was worried about falling with no gravity. You might be able to explain it away if they where in the upper atmosphere but not with the earth shot they showed

The kiss - I thought it was stupid in part 2, and they did it again in part 4. I also thought the farm crystal in the begining was a big cop out since it was done already....

Brick Laying laser - That was just stupid

But still, I just find it to be a more fun film than what I remember of three. I'll have to rewatch three to see how it stands up, but I Remember liking the evil and good superman battle. IT gave us a chance to see Superman in action without the suit.

Edit - I finally got to watching the deleted scenes.... most of them anyway. WTF was that prototype nuclear man scene doing? How could Hackman have acted in that scene with a straight face, or without walking off the set? I guess money will make you lower your standards

Jace_A

Second Unit

Glen or Glenda was better than Superman 3, so as a point of reference I agree. The movie is still terrible, though.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
It is quite apparent that the majority of powerful soverign nations would not appreciate (let alone stand up and cheer) when one individual (from America no less) takes it upon himself to dismantle their nucleur arsenals.
Being prompted into becoming a dangerous subversive element to world governments, by a honest intent to do the 'most good' is a superior concept we haven't yet seen articulated well. Even throwing in a super-powered foe at some point, doesn't in and of itself degrade the premise.

There is a killer Superman movie to be made from 4, that wouldn't look in any way shape or form like the original. I would love to see it someday.

A shame then, that Singer spent hundreds of millions of dollars essentially remaking and/or swiping the major beats from what was already a fine film.
Why couldn't he have looked at something like Superman 4, seen how much honest to God potential was awaiting in the premise and tried to fashion an intelligent, adult quasi-remake of that.

Mathew_M

Grip
Real Name
Mathew

Well it couldn't have been any worse than drumming up another Luthor-Land Swindle.

Truth is that nuclear power isn't a bad thing when it's used properly. Doesn't Superman finish off Nuclear Man by dropping him into a reactor?

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if this film was edited down?

Seems that the story was chopped to pieces before release....

Rumor had it that the original cut (before the chopping) was pretty good.

Dugger

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yes, Superman IV was severely cut, but those scenes can be viewed on the new SE DVD. I don't have it, but apparently most people are saying it would have still been a terrible movie anyway.

Mathew_M

Grip
Real Name
Mathew

Probably since the name Golan/Globas was attached to the production. I actually read the novelization back when I was a kid. Having two Nuclear Men was totally redundant but if I remember correctly at least with the first one him and Supes had a street brawl. Anyway you cut it I don't think the film could of worked even with a higher budget. Supes 4 came out back in what, 1986? That was just an ugly time for SFX films and movies in general.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I think it was 1987....

But outside of Predator and Robocop, there really weren't any decent effects pictures that year if I remember....

and for Supes 4 to only do 15.7 million... wow....

Dugger

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I just got through the deleted scenes..

Clark and LAcy say goodbye, Red Alert, and the final scene with the kid and Supes should have been left in. Red ALert would have help fill in a bit of a missing end, like how Nuclear Man would have known she was in the building. Lacy and Clark would have tied up the throw away scene at the begining. The final scene, despite Clark AND the kid being able to breath in space, would have been a much more interesting way to end it..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Finally getting around to the rest of the set...

Except for the goofy 'lady gets turned in to robot..' part, Superman 3 holds up pretty well and is much more coherent than Part 4. Lana Lang is actually likable in this film
. Richard Prior is also pretty fun as an accidental genius, up UNTIL he invents this machine out of no where which would take a scientist years to conceive... never mind build. Yet he designs it in under two weeks or so, after never having touched a computer before the first part of the film?

Also, anyone think Terrance Stamp sounds like Patrick Stewart in the making of Superman 2 docu?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
You can attack Superman IV all you want, but at least one guy in a crosswalk sign doesn't float up to the other guy in the sign, starting a brawl between the two! There is so much unintelligible crap thrown in that film that Superman IV is realistic by comparison, outer space breathing and all. It's made to look all the worst since the crap stands out against the elements of the film that actually DO work (Smallville/Lana/Clark vs. Evil Superman).

I actually really like several scenes from the film, but taken as a whole it's horrid. Fortunately, with DVD I don't have to watch it that way. But judging whole film to whole film, I can never give it the edge over IV, which at least resembles a Superman (and superhero) movie and clearly had the best of intentions.

If you edited Superman III down to the length of Superman IV you might have a film far superior to either III or IV's theatrical versions. Put the focus on the expansion of Superman's human side (Clark) and the growing war within him (culminating in the angry Superman who can't have a life vs. the meek Clark Kent whose very existence is a geeky disguise, also crippling his ability to have a real life) and you'd have a far better film. Ideally, you could expand on all this (of course maybe the hints at the messages would seem less subtle with all the Pryor/villain crap cut out) and have a truly great film.

Again, I can watch Superman IV all the way through. III I have to fast forward all the villain and Pryor scenes (that don't have Reeve in them), which is a good chunk of the film. I did watch III in its entirety not too long ago, only because my friend and I had been drinking and he wanted to see it again. He jokingly champions this film among all the Superman flicks. I managed to get through it only because it was amusing to see him amused at all the seriously unfunny Pryor crap in that film.

Interesting how Superman III and IV both have material that could be cultivated into great films isn't it?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo