Superman 4 original cut/ Superman 2 SE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason St Louis, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jason St Louis

Jason St Louis Stunt Coordinator

While looking at the "Excellent Superman cinema website"!!!, i read a discussion on the message boards on "Superman 4" As the original film print has been said to have been destroyed?

If this is true or not, it seems the original print of the film was ordered to be destroyed. Many people who have been said to be working on this film, said it was?

Although some people remain skeptical! it was all destroyed? film prints may have been hidden away or put to oneside, as have many other film prints over the years been said to have been lost forever!

Ihave heard this thread on that site before on this and not given it much thought before? The movie though bad was chopped to bits, thus effecting it cinematic release? alot more has been revealed on this movie thanks to "Superman cinema!"

Unlike Supermaan 2 SE we want, under the guide of Richard Donner does anyone believe there is the possiblity of a full cut of this movie of there. Personally it's along shot but never say never!

2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    You just reminded me of a "review" I once posted about how bad Superman IV was. I think my post got lost in that other "We're moving HTF to new software... oops, we're rolling back!" shuffle. It's a bit... sarcastic. But just a bit.
    Here it is:
    How does one find a way to express how painfully awful Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is?
    Well, I’ll start by saying that it’s a bit like having your piss flap spread apart with two bear traps. Then having one of those tiny fish things from the Amazon River swim up your urethra and pitch a tent in your urinary tract with its non-removable barbs until it backs up your pee and you die of agonizing pain and poisoning.
    All this and more can be experienced quite early into the movie—well before Nuclear Man shows up and, stunningly, adds an even more ghastly dose of blinding, stomach cancer-induced agony to the proceedings. By the end you’ll be curled up in a tiny ball on the floor, your bodily fluids oozing out of you as though escaping a sinking ship. Thrown backward, mouth agape, your lifeless body will contort and twist from rigor mortis as your spine is slowly crunched in half from the strain of having witnessed this cinematic clump of pure, concentrated evil. With the strength of two vices, your claw-like hands will still be clutching your shiny remote control in a gesture of hopeless, channel-changing desperation. I guarantee that before long you will be screaming out for the Angel of Death to come suck the life out of your ruptured lungs, even before you get to the scene where Superman is shown rebuilding the entire Great Wall of China with his eyes.
    You’ll be wishing Gus Gorman were in this one.
    There is no doubt about it: this is the movie that made Superman III seem pretty good by comparison. That by itself is quite an accomplishment. The real trick when watching Superman IV is to get through all 90 stupefying, life-wasting minutes without becoming a killer of little kids wearing Superman Halloween costumes. And just think: there was an even longer cut of this movie! Apparently, it was so bad that the studio chopped out all the offending scenes with an axe, labeled the intestine-like coils of unraveled footage a biohazard unsafe for humanity, then turned the deleted scenes over to the Atomic Energy Commission for safe disposal. The government buried it in a steel drum over 700 feet below the Earth’s surface (along with some hot plutonium) and then capped it over with several thousand tons of cement. Be thankful that the new DVD is “movie only.”
    One positive thing is worth mentioning here. If you do manage to escape being shower-raped during this prison sentence of a movie without also grinding your gums on a mouthful of broken teeth in the meantime, you’re in for a real treat. There you will learn that nowhere in the end credits does it ever say, Next Year: Superman V. And that, boys and girls, is what finally redeems Cannon Films (who excreted this armless, legless abortion in 1987) and gives us reason to hope for a peaceful turning point in humanity’s future: the knowledge that the studio wasn’t planning another one.

3. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

So, Jonathan - Did you like Superman IV?
    [​IMG]

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

And I thought Don King was good at hyperbole.

5. Jason St Louis

People lets not wander of the subject! I asked a serious question, if films like this and others even though, thought to be destroyed do they exist or are hidden away from everyone in a film vault or rare film collector's house?

Naysayers always moan about bad films, we have all watched bad films, so seeing a cut up film found and restored would be a bonus!

How many other films have been found after been thought gone good or bad?

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Jonathan more than summed up my feelings about Superman IV. Sadly, I don't think there's any amount of missing footage that could possibly improve this incredibly awful film.

7. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Jonathan, that was the most hilarious post i've seen on this forum! thanks for a laugh

Brian

8. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    I could see some point to restored footage. Assuming the footage could improve it. ONE of the problems I saw with the movie was that it lacked any depth in any scene; each was rushed with no time to develop a real moment or impact. Take the flying scene with Lois, for example. No lead-in time into why he's thinking about telling her, the falling scene special effects are pathetic(Superman I did better), and the discussion while and after flying is short and gives no depth to the story. The villain may have been dangerous, but superman only ran into him twice, and the villain hadn't really caused any damage to those close to him.
    Bah!
    It came off as trying to recapture what made I and II any good, without paying attention to timing, dialogue, music, or plot structure. If footage could fill all those holes, which I doubt it could, then go for it. It would need a lot though.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jason St Louis

Anyone posting here must go to, Superman Cinema! for the the bare facts [​IMG]