Superman 2 ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottR, Jan 28, 2004.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

What is the exact aspect ratio of the Superman 2 dvd? Watching it, it looks tighter than 2.35:1. The image looks like it is cropped too much, particularly at the bottom of the frame.

2. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Do you have the movie on another home video format in widescreen to compare it to? I didn't notice anything wrong with the framing, but as it is, the video and audio are very lackluster.

Speaking of Superman, I sure would like a new edition of the first movie where you could select the theatrical or extended cuts via seamless branching in addition to having the ORIGINAL AUDIO TRACK. I'll never get used to the new "whoosh" sound during the opening credits on the DVD.

3. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Both laserdisc and DVD are 2.35:1. I saw it in the theater when it came out all those years ago and if memory serves, the presentation I saw was 70mm.

What sucks about Supes 2 release is though the video is better than the laserdisc transfer, the audio is FAR superior on the laserdisc. I'm finding this true on most of the PCM audio when comparing laserdisc and dvd.

4. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Agreed on the Laser's audio. It's FAR superior to the DVD.

I also agree that the majority of 2.0 DVD tracks pale in almost every comparison with their LD counterparts. If a DVD has a 5.1 encoding it can -- depending on the film -- rival it, but the LD sound is much fuller, uncompressed, and superior in most instances.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I think Superman II looks acceptable (though I wished it looked as good as the first movie).

My biggest beef with it is definitely the audio. The audio on Superman II is borderline pathetic for such an action movie.

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Did anyone ever find out why a 5.1 track was not included on this movie? It did play in 70mm when it was released, so a 6 track mix must exist.

Of course, after reading about all of the turmoil going on behind the scenes of this film, and knowing what it could have been, plus my love for the first movie, I can no longer really watch and enjoy this film anyway. [​IMG]

Neil

7. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I agree Neil. This used to be my favorite movie as a kid, but now the first one by far. Growing up and knowing what could've been, it just casts a cloud over this movie for me.

8. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    Richard Donner has been talking about the idea of doing a special edition of Superman 2.. we have to wait and see.

JACOB

9. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Donner has talked about it for sometime, but I believe at the Warner chat they pretty much said they knew the interest for an SE of II, but want to tie it in with a new movie, ala Batman

10. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I think the dvd framing is fine, haven't noticed any major problems with it. I suspect we'll see a re-mastered edition of the sequel within 2 years; they are bound to re-release them.

11. James Phillips

James Phillips Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about Superman II, but the Superman III DVD seems to be framed wrongly. The beginning and end titles have a wider aspect ratio than the rest of the film.

12. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

James, that's interesting. I thought the framing was identical on III to the laserdisc, yet unlike II, III's DVD has a better soundtrack and transfer than the laser.

I don't think there's any way you'll see a "restored Donner version" of II. A Special Edition with the lost scenes (Brando's in particular) is totally possible, but since he never finished II, and scenes were re-shot or not completed, I doubt it'll happen.

Still a great movie, IMHO, regardless of behind the scenes politics.

13. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

A number of still pictures exist as proof of the filming, but the actual footage - and the rest of Donner's original footage - remains unseen to date, except for those scenes that were put back in the TV versions.

14. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Superman III's transfer is actually botched. Flying scenes done with an intentionally soft focus are too sharp on the DVD, revelaing the cables in many shots. This is stuff that you were never meant to see.

Neil

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I, too, don't think we will ever see a Donner cut. I think it's more of a fan's dream and I am a big fan of the first two movies. I just don't think it's realistic though.

If Warner would simply restore Superman II and create a nice 5.1 track, that would be good enough for me.

16. WillG

WillG Producer

Well, whatever is possible or not, it would be nice to have at least a special edition, optimally with Donner's assistance.

I hope if they are ever planning to do this, they don't wait around too much. Unfortunately, Donner isn't exactly getting any younger.

17. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Donner should definitely be involved. A recut of the film would be a dream come true but I'd settle for a restoration of the existing cut and a 5.1 soundtrack(along with the Brando footage in a supplemental deleted scenes section).

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

neither is Lester...maybe that's what they(WB) are waiting for-

19. WillG

WillG Producer

Well if you know the whole convoluted legal history of Superman I and II, including any Marlon Brando footage in SII would result in legal obligation to pay Brando a hefty sum of money (don't know all the specific details) but with all the legal loopholes out there, what would be the legal consequences of including the material as deleted scenes? Armchair (or real) lawyers, any thoughts?

20. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I think the Brando footage cannot be put back into the film 'cos he would be entitled to a percentage of the gross, or at least paid for using his scenes in the sequel. Plus, you've got Salkind's holding company who might be seeking money, too.

The only way to see the Brando footage, and this is my theory, is to have it in a supplementary section thus avoiding payment - depends what was written in the contract.

I rather have all the Donner scenes as a supplement; don't think he has a right to re-edit a film creditted to someone else.