What's new

Supergirl: Which version? (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Which version of Supergirl should I pick up?

Should I get the 2 Disc one with the 2 versions on it?

Jo_C

Second Unit
If you're lucky enough to find it, I'd say go for the 2-disc edition. However, if not, you'd probably want to get the stand-alone individual versions of both the International and "Director's Cut" (they are widely available)--those two will complete your set.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The 2-disc is quite cheap, so I'd say go for it. The International cut on the first disc has all the special features, but the additional scenes in the director's cut make the plot make a lot more sense.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I've never seen the movie, but I like the Superman movies. Is it worth it?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
they had gold when they cast Helen Slater as the title character. she not only looked the part, she had an enormously charming presence to boot.
everything else about the production is horrendous.
from the inane plot to the unappealing supporting actors/characters.
i don't see this appealing to many beyond gay men who have a fetish for camp and straight men who have a fetish for cute girls in superhero costumes ( :b what can i say...Helen sure is cute).

if you must, and you can find the 2 disc set cheap, that would be the one to get, otherwise, the international version contains all the material that is actually worth anything including the generally good making of doc along with some of ace comic book artist Michael Ploogs storyboards.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Ahhhhh... Supergirl! Helen Slater. Jerry Goldsmith. What more could you ask for in a film? :)

I have been besotted with both of the above-named talents since the day I first saw this movie. Since Goldsmith led me to appreciate film music (my collection of which now exceeds 6000 items) I guess you could say that Supergirl changed my life! Ok, the plot is a bit weak and the characters are a bit thin but... well who cares?

And as for the multiple versions... well there was the 105 US version, the 110 UK video version, the 125 minute international version and now the 150 minute directors cut. And that's not all, the first UK TV screening included one scene not in ANY of the above versions, it involved Linda and Lucy discussing "boys" in their dorm room. A behind-the scenes clip of this scene can be found in the DVD documentary.

In keeping with Hollywood's new-found fascination with all-things superhero, I keep hearing rumours of a new Supergirl movie with (I think) Naomi Watts in the lead. Don't even bother guys.

No Slater. No Goldsmith. No sale!

John

Supergirl was atrocious. As a long-time fan of both movies and comic books. My advice is...STAY AWAY. It was horrible at every level imaginable. Far away. Hell, the Captain America that came out in '91 is Citizen Kane compared to this piece steaming pile of mastadon dung. As far as special features go...I'd rather endure a 2 hour long documentary on the making of "Alien from L.A." with Kathy Ireland. For any other Supergirl fans out there...check out the Red Sonja movie...it's equally as bad.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

An interesting aspect about Supergirl is that the film actually expands on what the Phantom Zone is within the film realm. Does that make it worth getting? Probably not, but it is ... for me anyway ... better than Superman 3 and 4.

Regards

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
The international cut of Supergirl is better than the last two Superman movies, and not that far off the second one in my opinion. That said, it still is a fairly erratic film. Helen Slater makes a perfect Supergirl, but Faye Dunaway is way too over the top. It also has a completely different feel and pace than the Superman films, which is probably why several Superman movie fans don't like Supergirl. All in all, it's a pretty decent movie with some good points that make it worth watching. The DVD itself comes with some great extras, including an interesting 50-minute making of made at the time of the film's production and six storyboard montages set to the Goldsmith score--the artwork in those remind me of Will Eisner's style.

My advice is to rent it before buying, or find it real cheap (like the $7 purchase mentioned above). Don't worry about missing out of the director's cut disc; it doesn't add that much, and all of the extras are on the international cut disc.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I definitely agree that "Supergirl" is far better and far more enjoyable than "Superman III" or the disgraceful "Superman IV". Slater's believability, Goldsmith's score etc. help elevate the material overall and make for a generally enjoyable timekiller. It's the deluxe DVD treatment though that really helps make the film enjoyable because the ability to go through so much material and compare versions makes the film more interesting than it might have with just a no-frills release.

Had Reeve done a cameo as was originally planned, and by extension gotten a bigger quote of the Williams Superman theme, the film would really have been better.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I bet you could find someone who bought either version and now regrets it and will give it away before it brings the value of their home down by about 50%.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks