1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Supergirl - season 4 (The CW)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I continue to have serious problems with this show, but I do appreciate that they set up a premise, and they're seeing it through. It's a startling cynical view of humanity that the show is putting forth, but it does provide a crucible by which Supergirl can become a less naive but more inspiring hero.

One of the innovations of this show that has unsettled me from the beginning, and especially since the jump to The CW and the backburner-ing of Kara's civilian life, is that Supergirl is a DEO asset. It felt a bit too much like Superman as Reagan's lackey in The Dark Knight Returns. Here, the president's decision to terminate her employment in order to placate his donors sympathetic to Lockwood's cause technically makes Supergirl a vigilante now, but it also frees her up to follow her own conscience.

With regard to that final scene:
    The various DC shows have been very contradictory about the nature of the multiverse. There have been multiple mentions of there being 52 Earths (plus Earth-X) in the past, but there have also been mentions of infinite earths.

The existence of Earth-90 would seem to point to the latter conception. Can we assume based on seeing John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen in that costume that Earth-90 is the Earth that the 1990 "Flash" series was set on?

2. Message #42 of 47 Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I continue to miss the optimism and grounded qualities of the first season on CBS. But this season is an improvement on the previous two seasons for me because the conflicts they set up have real consequences.

Given how lax Kara was about mixing her two lives on DEO premises, it's probably a little low that less than a dozen agents knew about her secret identity.

It also doesn't speak well of the DEO's capabilities that its director has an adopted sister who happens to look exactly like Supergirl, only with glasses, and none of their highly trained agents or billion-dollar technology can make the connection.

But having Alex forget that Kara is Supergirl is a pretty big deal. Not just in terms of the sisterly relationship, but also in terms of Alex's identity. She became a DEO agent as a response to spending her teenage years living with an alien. The majority of her memories since the age of fourteen are going to be swiss-cheesed.

The military exercise with Red Daughter Kara in the cold open was well done. I'm glad they're checking in with that plot thread every now and again, to remind us it's still brewing on the other side of the world.

EDIT: Forgot to add, a promotional photo has been released of Nia in her upcoming superhero costume:
    Supergirl_S04_001.

tempest21 likes this.
  3. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I have to agree with you on that point. I actually stopped watching Supergirl after the first season because I didn't like the direction the show was going. It lost the quality that I loved about the show. Outside the annual crossover episode with Flash, I just don't watch the series anymore. I actually stopped watching Arrow because of the same reason but the one thing that annoyed me about Arrow was its overuse of flashbacks, flashforwards, flash-sideways or whatever they try to rename them. I grew tired of that type of television production with LOST. I'm all for it with using that type of television production if it serves a purpose, but, "flashback sequences" tend to be used too much and far too frequently in which they distract from the main plot of the episode/series.

It's what I call "the Abrams Virus". While he's a name brand in Hollywood, I think it distracts from telling a story and that it's used far too much simply because it's there as a tool, or a story-aid. I saw this infection during the heydey about ten years ago when every movie studio wanted to release every movie under their production umbrella in the 3D format. Back then, it was James Cameron venting against any company who used the 3D format. These days, it seems to be movie production techniques like lens flares or flashbacks.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    Cool! I love me some Supergirl!!

6. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

7. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell