Supergirl - season 2 (The CW)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    I liked this episode a lot, very exciting. Yeah, Alex did some stupid things but she was great in the end. I hope we haven't seen the last of Jeremiah, especially with Teri Hatcher joining the show.

I'm glad Kara was fired (rightfully) from Catco, the series runs better, this season, with Kara more involved with the DEO. I also like the show better without James.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I guess I'm on the other side about the firing. I thought that it was Snapper that was irresponsible.

There were reported incidents about aliens going missing. And there was a verifiable mass abduction where law enforcement was involved in a firefight at the bar. But he still refused to report an alert

As for his questions to Supergirl, for someone who is worried about the wrong word causing a panic, he seemed very interested in exposing a classified government agency. What kind of effect would a story like that have on the public

3. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

This show is completely over for me and has been most of the year. It's now nothing more than a political soap box and depending upon ones views either that's good or really bad. No matter the case, anytime a show does this and gets so political where they want to preach to you in every episode then I'm done with it. This has happened with several shows for me and thank goodness The Flash is still VERY good and remains just a comic book show true to form.

The special effects seem worse this year too and I could tell the wiring rigs were very unrealistic when Supergirl went straight up in the air on the crossover show. She mentioned feeling uneasy doing it in front of others she wasn't use to on the set in EW magazine and it showed big time. All the other sets and effects don't seem nearly as good as season one as well.

Supergirl Season 1 was one of my favorite new shows and I thought would be like The Flash, but now it's off my list for good and I can't stand the direction they have taken the show and characters.

4. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I think Alex should have notified the DEO a lot earlier. Going at it on her own almost got her sent far away.

For that matter, once Alex did notify the DEO, why didn't J'onn fly in and send a team there? Or go with him and Mon-el leading the way?

Why wasn't James at Catco? He could have done helped out there. It seems that they are just getting rid of the Catco part of the story now.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Maybe Kara will now become a blogger and doing her reporting that way. Seems to make sense, I wondered why James didn't back her up either or tried to save her job. This probably means Cat won't help her either. Maybe she'll be at odds with Snapper if she is a blogger.

I didn't watch that closely, so the effects looked ok. I liked the design of that ship. I didn't see if Jeremiah survived or not. I assume he does. I liked the double entendre line about Jeremiah being the best Superman.

Nice that Teri Hatcher is keeping busy. First an Odd Couple recurring role, now Supergirl. I'll be curious to see how she and Kevin Sorbo fits into the story.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    My guess is they are going to be Mon-El's parents.

For a brief moment I was sure they were going to send Sister into space on that ship.

I thiught Cat was going to make a handful of short appearances this season, guess not now unless they intend to still use Catco for something.

7. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Cinematographer

Doug Wallen
    Seems like a good guess.

I also was not sure that Jeremiah survived. Was there absolute proof? or is he in the netherworld until the show needs another boost?

I hope all of the relationship drama is over cause I sure ain't the target audience for it (59 year old viewer)!

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Last we saw of Jerry was getting zapped and trying to get up. That was it.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I thought this was a very good episode - better than the show has been lately. I liked seeing the characters act in character for a change! Kara's not ready to be a reporter if she thinks publishing that blog was the right thing to do. Snapper Carr is the only grown-up in CatCo, it seems. (And where was Jimmy? He should have had to sign off on her being fired!)

Oh, I'm fine with the relation to current events. I think it makes the show stronger. It's like Gene Roddenberry once said: He wanted to talk about the Vietnam War on the show, but he couldn't, so he dressed up aliens and made up other planets and talked about it anyway. Bravo to the writers. I'd buy them a beer if I was in California.

10. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    While I enjoy this brainless entertainment, the writing is rather sophomoric and its attempts (if that is what it is) at being relevant to current events, more so.

Doug Wallen likes this.
  11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I agree. It's not so much the attempts to be politically relevant that bother me, it's the hamfisted execution. You could argue that Clark and Kara are the ultimate illegal aliens, so touching upon immigration controversies could be very organic to the show. But the way they've gone about it doesn't feel as intrinsic to Kara's journey as it should.

Doug Wallen and Gary Seven like this.
  12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Tonight's episode was one of the stronger ones in a while, and only one bit of clumsy political commentary.

Great Winn episode tonight. I love that he stays true to type, with powerful women on the wrong side of the law, but I love even more that him being a decent guy wins the day. Part of why him and Lyra continue on and Kara and Mon-El don't is because Winn has empathy for Lyra that allows him to put her failings in context and forgive them. Kara can't put herself in Mon-El's shoes, and therefore she can't stop judging him. And in her defense, it was creepy as hell for him to be lurking in her apartment, waiting for her.

It's campy fun having Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo as the king and queen of Daxam. And it's a new kind of character for Hatcher; there's a bit of Agnes Moorehead as Endora in there. Sorbo so far has been underutilized, but I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

That ending was absolutely bonkers. Darren Criss was one of the reasons I dropped "Glee", because Blaine never felt like a real character and irritated the piss out of me. But I loved him in his debut as the Music Meister. As soon as he appeared, he completely changed the energy of the show. I look forward to seeing it pay off in tomorrow's "Flash".

My only significant complaint is that the Daxam flashback we got tonight was not only edited differently than the flashback at the beginning of "Survivors", but it was also staged differently. It's sloppy and feels like a cheat.

13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I thought Winn was a bit too forgiving and Kara was a bit too stern. They could both be better off tempering their tendency to go to extremes, but Winn's stance was the healthier one, of course.

I don't think Kara is giving Mon-El nearly enough credit for the growth he's displayed. She' s made this impetuous kind of decision before and regretted it, and I suspect she will again. Mon-El is my favorite character on the show.

14. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    Kara's unwillingness to forgive Mon-El bothered me more, especially after talking to Winn about Lyra. Winn's story line was the most interesting part of the show, seeing him get heartbroken over being set up and used by Lyra. I really felt Mon-El's pain when Kara broke up with him. The break-up itself felt more forced, it's the typical on again/off again relationship stuff that TV series do to stretch things out.

It was really good seeing Teri Hatcher seemingly play against type, never watched Desperate Housewives. I wasn't surprised that the Music Meister showed up at the end of the episode but Winn and Kara discussing Cisco's portal opening device was a bit too convenient but they had to find a way to set up the cross over. All in all, this was one of the season's better episodes.

15. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I nearly fell out laughing when the guy asked for "Hamilton" tickets in exchange for information.

16. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen
    Mon-El and Kara have such great "chemistry" that the "will they/won't they" of serial tv is off putting to this viewer. I've never understood the decision to always have the main character be deficient in their personal life. I realize that is what many viewers want, but these people are not in high school, they are holding down jobs and need to be a bit more adult.

Winn and his girlfriend had the same obstacles, Winn behaved in a more mature manner. Seems that Kara should act more maturely, but she is acting just as selfish as Mon-El has. Mon-El has actually changed, as evidenced by his dealings with his parents. Sorry to see this develop. Wonder is this is just plotting 101 or if these changes remain.

17. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I didn't view Kara's reaction as childish. I viewed it as cultural. The Kryptonians are portrayed as ivory towered elitists. They have a generational distrust of Daxomites.

It's similar to a post Civil War 'enlightened' Southerner dealing with a former slave. Accomplishments and personality are trumped by breeding.

Doug Wallen likes this.
  18. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen
    Since both are powered by our Yellow sun, I tend to think of them as the same. That they are from two different world's doesn't surface very often, since Mon-El has been adapting to Earth and by extension; Kara's ideals. Good point to ponder.

19. NeilO

NeilO Producer

One thing about Winn and Lyra that disturbed me was he didn't bring up the events in Exodus when she had been taken captive (along with other aliens). That episode also is the only one where Lyra was out of character and seemed too weak. [Of course, the other thing about them is why was Winn in an alien bar in the first place when they met? That didn't seem to make much sense.]

The crossover with The Flash was great and I am very glad that it did move the plot along.