What's new

Supergirl - season 2 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For some reason my DVR stopped recording Supergirl after episode 203. My DVR says it is recording the series, yet it is not recording the series. Can't figure it out. Anyone else having problems?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thoroughly enjoyable episode tonight. I love seeing Kara use her pluck and determination when her powers fail her.

Very intrigued how Mon-El is going to develop as a hero amid the stalkers coming for him. Please don't let this be the beginning of the end for this character. He has terrific chemistry with Melissa.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thoroughly enjoyable episode tonight.
It's always fun when Kevin Smith directs an episode of one of these DC/CW shows. You know when you see his name that you're in for something a little special. I didn't enjoy this one as much as his two "Flash" episodes, but there was a whole lot to like here.

I loved the opening chase with Supergirl flying after the jewel thieves, bouncing back from the RPG, and then Guardian mopping up the runners with Winn in the van. Top notch production values, propulsive action and a nice sense of fun. This is the quality that the first season had in spades, and the second season has been largely lacking since the stellar two-part season opener with Superman.

And we got to have a whole adventure on another planet! I appreciated that they basically just outran the enemy instead of outright defeating them. If Slaver's Moon is powerful enough that the Kryptonians didn't mess with them, a couple dozen humans shouldn't be able to take them down either. I loved the pulpiness of that whole storyline, and the Flash Gordon feel to the planet.

I love seeing Kara use her pluck and determination when her powers fail her.
Me too. The scene where she allowed herself to get electrocuted over and over again reminded me of the scene in the first season when she stopped the convenience store robbery without her powers. That's when the true hero shines through.

Despite how well-acted the scenes are, I still think the Alex/Maggie relationship is eating up too much screen time and feels too disconnected from Kara's story. On the other side, I don't think the Catco/Kara storyline is getting enough screen time.

Very intrigued how Mon-El is going to develop as a hero amid the stalkers coming for him. Please don't let this be the beginning of the end for this character. He has terrific chemistry with Melissa.
This episode gave the strongest hints yet that Mon-L is actually the Daxam prince.

In the comics, Mon-EL:
...gets a fatal dose of lead poisoning and is put into stasis in the Phantom Zone for a thousand years. When a cure is found in the 31st century, he is released and becomes one of the leaders of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This is my favourite episode since the Superman 2 part episode. The whole thing was fun, interesting and I, too, loved the pulpy feel. I feel that Smith does a better job directing these episodes than he does his own movies, I'd love to see him direct more often. I even liked the Guardian stuff, I hope we get to see Wynn in action more.

I agree about the chemistry between Kara and Mon-El, hope he sticks around awhile. I don't mind the Alex/Maggie stuff, I enjoy seeing Alex happy. And I agree with everything said about Kara being a true hero without her powers.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A really fun episode, but I was sorry that Roulette was only stranded on Slaver's Moon and was not brought to justice. I note that she was not around when those trackers took care of her partner.

The scene with the Dominator saying to leave Mon-el alone was definitely a good sign that he is the prince, especially when combined with the trackers.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I liked this episode, especially where Kara discovered James' secret and their discussions. The Livewire stuff was good too, the weakest stuff involved the White Martian. So far, the second half of the season is off to a good start.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I liked it, too. I know Kara is concerned for James' safety, but, hey, it's his life, and she can't be dictating how other people live. I'd simply make it clear that I might not be available if he gets in a tight spot and needs help.

So now Mon-El gets to be the one pining for Kara from the sidelines (taking over that job from Winn). I hope the writers don't dwell with this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They used Alex and Maggie better in this episode, where their scenes together tied into the other happenings in the episode rather than grinding things to a halt.

The scene with J'onn and M'gann was a lot of telling instead of showing, but I liked it anyway.

I liked it, too. I know Kara is concerned for James' safety, but, hey, it's his life, and she can't be dictating how other people live. I'd simply make it clear that I might not be available if he gets in a tight spot and needs help.
It's interesting to see how Kara has changed as a result of being Supergirl. At the beginning of the first season, she never would have been as assertive as she was here. And it's the closest we've ever seen her come to espousing a "might makes right" philosophy, threatening to use her physical superiority to forcibly stop Guardian if James didn't obey her edict to leave the heroics to the superpowered. There's a danger to having a handsome, age appropriate superpowered alien about, and it's that it changes her perspective on the humans around her.

On other other hand, her elbowing her way into the jail cell in the aftermath of Livewire's prison break was absolutely adorable.

So now Mon-El gets to be the one pining for Kara from the sidelines (taking over that job from Winn). I hope the writers don't dwell with this.
I'm not sure where they're going romantically with those two. It seemed pretty telegraphed, so Kara shutting him down last night threw me a little bit. I don't know that they've had a successful romantic interest for Kara since her shortlived fling with Cat Grant's oldest son last season.

EDIT: Big news:
Teri Hatcher to play Bad Big in Second Half of "Supergirl" Season 2

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Any episode where Winn is the one who saves the day is starting ahead of the game.

I enjoyed The Thing-esque paranoia to the DEO scenes. It was also nice to see Agent Vasquez pop up again; since they moved Winn to the DEO, they haven't had as much need for a featured DEO extra.

It speaks to Sharon Leal's performance that I knew instantly when M'gann had been replaced by her mate. The whole feel of the character was different when she(he) walked out of the backdoor of the bar. Some really great scenes between Leal and Harewood in this episode. And it's tricky material to sell.

Alex ditching Kara to hang out with Maggie on Kara's Earth birthday was a dick move. Kara not just brushing off Mon-El but personally insulting him in the process was also a dick move.

It was nice to get some full on Supergirl scenes. They haven't been nearly as plentiful since the jump from CBS to The CW.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I really liked this episode, very exciting. Yeah, I also loved the Thing reference and Winn saving the day. I like Winn working for the DEO more than I did with him at Catco. He gets to do more interesting, and dangerous, things to do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree about Winn's move from Catco; Jeremy Jordan is being used much more effectively. And the resemblance to the "alien hiding among us" theme from The Thing was also noticeable and welcome. But the multiple fights bored me.

I'm also not liking the idea of Kara pining on the sidelines after ditching Mon-El. Realizing she made the wrong decision too late is so typical of these CW shows. I guess that's to keep their younger female audience.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I really liked this episode, very exciting. Yeah, I also loved the Thing reference and Winn saving the day. I like Winn working for the DEO more than I did with him at Catco. He gets to do more interesting, and dangerous, things to do.
I also liked the line from Winn saying something like "Things like this didn't happen at Catco."

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I still only watch this show because of Melissa Benoist's remarkable job as Kara. But the show is still marred by weird logical inconsistencies:

Due to the Martian vulnerability to fire, Supergirl should be using heat vision all the time. Instead, she punches them.

Because of the sequence of fake M'Gann, lights out, then fake Winn, there's no way Winn could have been replaced in the brief blackout. Logic dictates there must be at least two impostors. Logic is in short supply in the DCTVU.

The white Martians are trying to blow up the base by overloading the reactor. Yet there's the one White Martian standing by the reactor and instead of physically causing it to blow by punching the shit put of it, they just wait for the countdown. They're planning on sacrificing themselves, so the reliance on the overload is bizarre.

I'm a little confused about the Martians vulnerability or invulnerability to bullets. If they are, why are the agents quibbling over rifles? And if it's close quarters combat, why aren't they using handguns? And if they have energy weapons, why are they using bullets?

These are the kinds of sloppy things that made me quit watching Flash. Thank Rao Supergirl has Benoist.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess I'm not very sentimental, but all the guilt trip Kara laid on Lena to get her to go see her mother really made me roll my eyes. Only Lena knows what she suffered at the hands of this stepmother, and if she feels she owes her nothing but contempt or indifference, who is Kara or anyone else to try to sway her thinking? She's a grown woman who can make her own decisions about how she runs her life. I know, there wouldn't have been an episode if this hadn't happened, but it made me very angry nevertheless.

On the other hand, the appearance of Mr. Mxyzptlk at the end made me absolutely delighted. I always wondered why they didn't use this fantastic mischievous character in one of the Superman movies instead of always dragging out Lex Luthor to be the antagonist. As a kid, he was always my favorite villain in the comics. I can't wait for next week's show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yet another scene where the main action stops for Alex and Maggie so that everybody can make a big deal about it. But slowly but surely, that storyline is being better integrated into the show.

I liked the reveal that Lena Luthor isn't just Lex's adopted sister but also his biological half-sister. I also appreciated that the show's adopted large chunks of the "Smallville" backstory as its own, even though they're obviously two different shows in two different continuities. Would have been cool if they'd gotten John Glover to play Lionel again in the flashbacks.

It was also nice to get lots of scenes of Supergirl being Supergirl.

The big character introduction at the end of this one was wonderful.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
So, the scene where Mrs. Luthor says that Supergirl can either capture her or save the people - she should have done both. She is fast enough that she could have swept Luthor up with her, deposited in a room in the high rise and then taken care of business.

The scene near the end where Lena flashes back to the chessboard definitely looks like foreshadowing that she is playing some long game here.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Supergirl is Flash level fast, which is too fast (god-like fast) and can resolve every situation pretty much every time. As such, they just ignore that she's that fast whenever they're trying to create a dilemma for her. With that kind of speed, there's no reason there would be any fight scenes.

There's something about the actress who plays Lena that just doesn't work for me. It's bordering on bothersome when she's on screen.

That said, yay for Mr. Mxyzptlk! It looks like he's more like Q from ST:TNG than from the comics. Looking forward to next week.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
It was a pretty good episode but, yeah, the Alex/Maggie scene felt really forced. Didn't care for it. Alex and Maggie do have good chemistry together though. I think I prefer the show without Catco now that Cat Grant is gone. I didn't miss James last week, or Snapper, and the show seems to work better without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks