What's new

Supergirl - season 2 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Parasite was great. When I first saw William Mapother there, I knew somehow he was going to end up a villain in the episode. I did not expect the Parasite then. I did wonder why they had not done a full workup on him while he was in the lab (or detected the parasite worm if they did). And Supergirl appears to have killed him off, though it could be than some part may have survived to leach another day. Will she have any qualms about the length she went to?

Now, Monel has been kidnapped by Cadmus. I had worried about him performing heroics without any disguise. Will they be able to hold him? Making Jimmy Guardian is an interesting twist, though how he can be running CatCo at the same time seems a bit much.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering why Jimmy wanted to be a hero so much! I'm old school so I only know him as the photographer. Based on the comments here, I guess it's not due to any recent activity in the newer comics? Maybe if things start to go bad at Catco, he'll be visited by Calista.

I did like the reference to The Thing at the start of the episode too. Not knowing all the comics and characters and villains, the worm turning into that big creature after sucking the power from J'onn and Supergirl reminded me of the villain in Batman vs Superman, Doomsday? But with Alien teeth.

Poor Alex, I felt bad for her. On the one hand, it's nice to see this side of her. But on the other, she's been such a tough as nails character that it seems odd she's been so girlie recently. Especially her breakdown after being rejected. I'm sure she'll be back to form next week.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
i'm surprised no one has mentioned Cat Grant's absence. She made each week a little more fun, at least for me. I liked how she alternatively built up and tore down Kara every week. And I miss Maxwell Lord, his portrayal as an ambiguous hero/villian is a loss to the show.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I liked the episode, thought they did a really good job with the Parasite. I liked his final look, wasn't sure they were going to go with it after starting out with the Thing nod. He is one of my favourite Superman Villains and one that is a challenge to beat. I also really liked the scenes with Alex but wasn't expecting the outcome.

There were some wonderful "sisterly" moments in this ep.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Dropped this show like a hot potato! it's starting to be like the last few seasons of "Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!" Monsters, monsters everywhere...and I don't care about coming out of the closet.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Don't know what's up with Lord but Calista Flockhart had an "out" on her contract if filming moved from LA to Vancouver, which it did. She's likely to guest star. The CW's Legends is the most Irwin Allen-like of its shows but I'm still enjoying Supergirl.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This was a full, action-packed hour, and I liked a lot of it. The surprise appearance by Dean Cain was a really great reveal.

Still am muddled about Mon-El's powers. If he came from Kara's same solar system with the red sun (even from a different planet), shouldn't his powers be identical to hers? Obviously they aren't, but I don't understand what he can and can't do. I haven't missed an episode, but maybe I was in the kitchen getting a snack the night all this was explained?

Once again, Supergirl lets herself be bullied and battered without using every power in her arsenal, trying to use brute strength instead of her ice breath to subdue a villain who then knocks her to kingdom come.

I am glad she now knows Luthor's mom is the enemy; what she'll do with the information will be interesting.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Still am muddled about Mon-El's powers. If he came from Kara's same solar system with the red sun (even from a different planet), shouldn't his powers be identical to hers? Obviously they aren't, but I don't understand what he can and can't do. I haven't missed an episode, but maybe I was in the kitchen getting a snack the night all this was explained?

I believe that though they share coming from the same solar system, being from different planets makes their genetic make-up different and thus their powers are slightly different. It's like how Kryptonians have denser cellular structure gives them powers under a yellow sun but Earthlings wouldn't under a red sun.

I really liked this episode, very exciting. Probably the best one since the first two episodes. James was a lot better as the Guardian this week, liked his story line. Great seeing Dean Cain as Jeremiah and David Harewood did a really good job playing two characters. I would have preferred that he had just called himself Cyborg. Cyborg Superman would work better in a Superman series. Actually, there's a lot about this show that feels more like a Superman show. Supergirl using up all of her energy in order for them to take her blood was the weakest part, I get tired of those stories but it is leading to something. I was thinking they were going to clone her, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ugh.

Jimmy Olson is cringe worthy.

When Supergirl was removed from her cell why didn't she use her powers to
save herself and Mon-el?

I want to like it but it gets dumber every week.

Oh and Hank Henshaw calling himself Cyborg Superman. over the top.

Why did her dad need to stay and slow them down?
He could have just left with her.

White Martian saved Jonn's life but he needs to kill her because?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Still am muddled about Mon-El's powers. If he came from Kara's same solar system with the red sun (even from a different planet), shouldn't his powers be identical to hers? .
Mon-El in the comics always had a lead weakness, so it was good they brought that in. As far as his other powers, perhaps he hasn't learned them yet. He hasn't been exposed to our sun that long. I can't remember to what other extent he is supposed to be similar.

Once again, Supergirl lets herself be bullied and battered without using every power in her arsenal, trying to use brute strength instead of her ice breath to subdue a villain who then knocks her to kingdom come..
I don't know what other restrictions there were in that cage, but you would have thought she could have used ice breath or heat vision to get rid of the gun threat to Mon-El.

I am glad she now knows Luthor's mom is the enemy; what she'll do with the information will be interesting.
They should be able to track Luthor's mom to find the next Cadmus location.

He is going a bit crazy due to the white blood transfusion. He clearly isn't thinking straight.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I continued to be frustrated by this season after a great opening two-parter, but this was a slight uptick.

Jimmy Olson is cringe worthy.
The biggest problem is that they never figured out what to do with him when the love interest thing didn't pan out. And in order to justify him becoming Guardian, they had to make him not great at being the new Cat.

If this show was still centered around Kara instead of an ensemble, they could have had him be the mentoring figure in journalism while Snapper is the hardass boss.

Oh and Hank Henshaw calling himself Cyborg Superman. over the top.
The development wasn't a huge surprise given that Henshaw was Cyborg Superman in the comics. But it felt like a missed opportunity; here you've got Jeremiah Danvers, played by Dean Cain, held by Cadmus for years. It seemed like a no brainer to make Jeremiah Cyborg Superman, and get Dean Cain back in the tights.

Imagine that your whole family got wiped out by the Nazi and you discovered that your girlfriend was worked in one of the concentration camps. That would be pretty hard to forgive, even if she expressed genuine remorse.

Mon-El in the comics always had a lead weakness, so it was good they brought that in. As far as his other powers, perhaps he hasn't learned them yet. He hasn't been exposed to our sun that long. I can't remember to what other extent he is supposed to be similar.
From the way the show has presented it, the Daxamites and Kryptonians seem to have a distant common genetic ancestor, but have evolved into two genuinely different species.

Most of Mon-El's powers appear to be similar to the Kryptonians', but not quite to the same level. He's much stronger than humans, but not as strong as Kara. He can leap tall buildings in a single bound, while Kara can outright fly. He's fast, but Kara's faster. Presumably he's a solar battery like the Kryptonians.

EDIT: Here's the Supergirl poster from the Invasion! four-panel for next week's "Invasion!" crossover:
Supergirl_S02_019.jpg

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I like the Nth Metal reference. Just another little reference to the shared DC universe.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how Warner will handle these episodes on the blu-ray sets.
I've been wondering the same thing. For the "Arrow"/"Flash" crossover last season that set up "Legends of Tomorrow", they included the "Flash" episode on the "Arrow" season set, and the "Arrow" episode on the "Flash" season set. But that was only two episodes instead of four. I kind of hope they make an "Invasion!" disc with all four episodes on it, and just include that disc in with all four sets.

While I watch all four shows, I'm only buying "Arrow" and "Supergirl" on Blu-Ray.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was probably the best one since the Superman two-parter. The heroics were a little more front and center.

And drunk Alex is always a good thing.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Really liked it but the tie-in to the other parts of the cross-over was disappointing and I felt they cured J'onn too fast and easy. Otherwise it was a really good episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks