What's new

Supergirl - season 2 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have to say "Thank you" to those of you who've pointed out the rampant liberalism (although I'm liberal leaning myself), soap opera nature of the writing, and politics injected into S2. I purchase physical rather than watch live and was grappling with purchase/not purchase S2 (it was on sale over the weekend and I have a pending order) based on "reviews" on Amazon. What many of you have said pretty much echoes the negative reviews of this season there. It's looking like I'm done with this one too. I really enjoyed S1 but don't want, or need, the changes and "real world" issues that have been injected into this series with S2. Part of me just wants to make the purchase and see for myself but that romance/soap opera antics have seemingly taken at least half the show, Kara's not being shown at work, current political issues being echoed on screen all just turn me off. If anyone wants to present a argument as to me letting the order ship... you have about 12 hours. :)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm with you Bob. I am a big fan of the Superman mythos but this show takes a lot of effort for me to watch and it's just the upcoming crossover that keeps my interest. The terrible writing, the ridiculous political views injected with no subtlety nor contrasting views, the overly compensated "women power" thing, it's just eye-rolling.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've enjoyed every season of this show. I find the writing clever (if occasionally strained), the cast a delight and the whole package to be fun. I don't think the politics is heavy-handed; they're just having fun with current events, and making their show relevant to the times we live in.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
But that's what I just don't want in a weekly "escapism" type series. I don't want a "relevant" superhero show. I want good guys vs. bad guys. Period. Don't put in politics, personal agenda, current events, or anything else that distracts from Supergirl taking on the bad guys (whoever they may be). If you must put that in, hide it... well. Don't make it obvious. Make me have to really look for it. That way, if I'm so inclined, I can but I can also just watch your show and not feel like I'm being hit over the head with a "message." That's not what I want at the end of the day. I don't care what your political leanings may be, I don't want them overtly in "light" entertainments, a category in which I fully believe Supergirl belongs.

As an example of doing it right I give you Star Trek: TOS. There are messages. But they aren't "in your face" like in most modern TV programs. You can ignore them easily as they are more allegorical in nature and not exactly obvious much of the time. Much of today's writers seem to want to beat you about the head with their personal agenda and tend to do so repeatedly. If that's what they want to do then they need to get jobs on late night talk TV, or SNL, or other such programs where it's expected.

The more recent "entertainment" programs I've attempted to sample are filled with overt political and/or agenda based writing. I'm tired of it. I grew tired of it when I stopped watching "live" TV about a decade ago. It's done nothing but get worse over time. The first season of Supergirl wasn't like that. From what I've read it's now joined the ranks of poor writing, plotting, and direction.

I'm partly leaning on keeping the order open so I can see for myself. It's "only" $10 so is cheap enough that I can just dispose of the program should I find it's lost its way.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Andrew Kreisberg officially fired
To ease the transition, co-creator Greg Berlanti will take a more hands-on role on "Supergirl," where he will work closely with Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner. Queller and Rovner were promoted to co-showrunners for Season 3 following the departure of co-creator Ali Adler after the second season. Both have been writing for the show since midway through the first season.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I still record the show to this day, but I am still in the middle of Season 2 with my viewing. It has been so long that I've forgotten the story line. So, it must not have left a good impression on me. I'm considering just watching the season finale and moving on to 3. Any reason why I should slug it out? Or is it safe to pick up this year?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still record the show to this day, but I am still in the middle of Season 2 with my viewing. It has been so long that I've forgotten the story line. So, it must not have left a good impression on me. I'm considering just watching the season finale and moving on to 3. Any reason why I should slug it out? Or is it safe to pick up this year?
I would say you're safe to to jump right into Season 3. After an initial rough patch this year, it's improved markedly.

Maybe watch the second season finale, since a lot of the stuff going on in the first part of this season is in reaction to the cataclysmic events of that episode.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Thanks Adam. I'm taking the leap forward to season 3. I wan't to catch up to view the crossover event soon too.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
As an example of doing it right I give you Star Trek: TOS. There are messages. But they aren't "in your face" like in most modern TV programs. You can ignore them easily as they are more allegorical in nature and not exactly obvious much of the time.

Take the episode where the guy who was black on the left side, and white on the right side, spends all of his time trying to murder the guy with the mirror-reverse coloring … and vice versa. Each was the last of his race, the rest of the planet having committed genocide on each other, based upon the same irrational racial hatred. And they STILL couldn't give it up.

No, nothing "in your face" or "obvious" about that message, at all!

:D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw this week’s Supergirl and was thoroughly confused by who was who since I don’t watch the other shows. It was interesting to see Victor Garber in one of those shows. I’m not sure I’ll see the other crossover episodes on the other shows.

That episode of Star Trek TOS was not one of the better examples of allegory. Though it had good intentions, the effort came up short.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Take the episode where the guy who was black on the left side, and white on the right side, spends all of his time trying to murder the guy with the mirror-reverse coloring … and vice versa. Each was the last of his race, the rest of the planet having committed genocide on each other, based upon the same irrational racial hatred. And they STILL couldn't give it up.

No, nothing "in your face" or "obvious" about that message, at all!

:D

There is a difference between social commentary and political commentary. Star Trek did the former, Supergirl does the latter.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Take the episode where the guy who was black on the left side, and white on the right side, spends all of his time trying to murder the guy with the mirror-reverse coloring … and vice versa.
not to high jack this into a Star Trek thread, but the original story as conceived by Gene L.Coon was a creature in red with horns named Satrana and one in white with wings named Mikel. Not so subtle either, but not an overt race statement. The intent of the story was not to judge people by appearance as to their intentions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks