What's new

"Supergirl" anomalies (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I have the 2 disc version of "Supergirl" from Anchor bay.

Can anyone explain why the "international version" doesn't have the 'wire removals' applied in the flying scenes but the "director's cut" does?

It's just something that I noticed the other day - kinda odd don't you think?

I live in the UK so I've only ever seen the "international version" during my lifetime. The wires have never been visable on any VHS tape or TV transmission I've seen before.

If you are unsure what I mean - check out the flying "ballet" around the lake when Supergirl arrives from within the lake! The wires are very obvious in the "international version" but completely removed in the "director's cut".

cheers, if anyone has the answer!

Rich

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Can't answer that particular anamoly, though another anamoly such as the removal of certain language and Selena's "Jehovah's Witnesses" remark indicates that the "director's cut" was the one meant for expanded TV broadcasts like the earlier Superman movies. In that case, it's quite rare to see a longer cut like that emerge in letterbox no less, which is what makes the limited set so fascinating to me.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
thanks Eric

hmmmmm, I did think it odd that certain language was missing (such a Nigel's "bitch!" after Selena gives him acne!), so is the director's cut the "true" director's cut or merely an expanded cut?

Even so I'd still like to know about my original question! someone must know!? I'd have understood if it had been the other way around but seeing as the "international" version would have been originally prepared for theatrical exhibition it seems so odd that the finished SFX were not included on the Master for it? I did see it in the cinema in '84 but I was only 8 so I really wouldn't have noticed or remembered!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Blame it on the source materials.

One cut came from one source and the other cut was spliced from another source.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I would call it more another expanded cut than a true "director's" cut if we take the term literally because as I recall reading the promo material even Szwarc was surprised to find out about the existence of this particular one. It seems a lot more reminiscent of the "put everything back in including the kitchen sink" approach that was done for the first TV broadcasts of Superman and Superman II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks