1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Superchunk & Beulah

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Cappelletty, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I know Vince was asking about the new Superchunk and it's a lot of fun-- while there are some strings thrown in the mix, it's more stripped down than their last record (which I like) and worth looking for.
    The last great record I've bought is by the SF band Beulah, which takes a layered pop sound -- it's an old Elephant 6 band (like Apples in Stereo & Neutral Milk Hotel) -- and shakes it up with a whole mess of cool instrumentation and great melodies. The only band ever to use a trumpet as part of the mix and still be cool. The new record, "The Coast Is Never Clear," is available on Velocette Records
    www.beulahmania.com

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

the Beulah record is great and is getting rave reviews. If you are a Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt fan pick up Jay Farrar's 'Sebastopol' release that came out this week. On the record are members of Superchunk, Flaming Lips, and Gillian Welch. Some of Jay's best work to date

3. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

>>>The only band ever to use a trumpet as part of the mix and still be cool.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

John Entwhistle use to break out his french horn occasionally on who records
    They might be Giants tend to dabble in 'uncool' instruments like accordians
    Thanks for the Beulah review. I've seen them in club listings in the city for a while, I'll check them out
    Guess I'll pick up the new superchunk. I love their early singles CD..Tossing Seeds...later stuff hit or missed.
    Stopped by Ameoba records on Haight Street yesterday and picked up 2 Happy Mondays cds, 2 lighting seeds , matt sweet (100% fun) and a paul westerburg solo cd all for Under $7!!!! Can't go wrong for that price!
    Love that place!
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

5. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

fyi...Beulah will be on Late Night With Conan O Brien tomorrow Tues 4/16 [​IMG]