SuperBowl HD on Dish or DirecTV???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hillyer, Jan 25, 2001.

1. David Hillyer

David Hillyer Auditioning

I've heard from several sources that Dish Network and DirecTV will not be offering the Superbowl in HD. My email to both companies has so far been ignored.
    Does anyone have any news about this?
    Several months ago I discussed HD network programming (especially regarding NFL playoff games) with a Dish Network rep and his response was:
    "In the future Dish Network would like to provide our customers with their local channels in HDTV format. At this
    time the only networks that are being broadcast in HD are the local networks that decide to provide their own signal in HD."
    So are they currently broadcasting the New York CBS station in HD or not? I can get the NY or LA network feeds due to my location out in the boonies but I want to know if I should upgrade to the Dish HD receiver.

2. Les_D

Les_D Auditioning

Dish and Direct will not be showing the superbowl in HD.
    Your only chance is to have a Local CBS station broadcasting in HD. (PBS in Denver I belive)
    I Know it's out there in C or Ku band satallite, but it's probably encrypted.

3. David Hillyer

David Hillyer Auditioning

finally got a response from Dish Network....
    "Thank you for your email correspondence. Unfortunately, at this time, specific information regarding your request is unavailable. Please stay tuned for updates."
    I would think people would be using the Superbowl HDTV broadcast as a sales/showoff tool but it apprears that another opportunity to reach new customers will be lost. Too bad... I'm having 30 people over to watch the game but can't get the HD broadcast.