What's new

Superbowl commercials (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Which were your favorites?

I thought the United one was the best.

There was only one that made me laugh out loud but I can't remember what it was.

~T

Jonathan_

Second Unit
The Budweiser and Ameriquest ads were my favorite. Especially the Ameriquest one set in the hospital.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Thought the Burger King one was pretty kewl. The rest were pretty average.

Most of the beer ones were lame. They act like everyone goes apeshit over beer.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
There weren't any show-stoppers this year. Even worse, I don't even remember the products that were being pushed for many of the commercials that I DO remember! Granted the FedEx commercial was entertaining, and the Burger King ad was creepy as usual, but that's all I've retained. Most of the ads were basically a big waste of money, especially today of all days.

Nope. No "Did you see that?" moment this year.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I liked the “Touch Football” Budweiser ad and the Ameriquest Hospital was also funny.

I missed the BK one but saw parts of it earlier on the Today Show. Way over the top but that is what they were shooting for. I have the game on Tivo so I’ll have to go back and watch the BK one from start to finish.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From a partial list
Best:

Bud -- Streaker
FedEx -- Caveman
Budweiser Wave -- if they did it with real people and not cgi it jumps to #1
Magic Fridge
Mastercard -- McGuyver
Both Ameriquest don't judge too quickly
Michelob Ultra -- Touch Football
Vault Scarecrow

For TV Shows which I don't usually consider commercials, but for impact:
Robert Palmer's Addicted to Lost
Shaq (et al) Desperate Housewives

Nice idea, but not quite:
Aleve Nimoy
Ford Escape -- Kermit the frog
Bud -- On the Roof
GoDaddy
Gillette Fusion -- Great in HD, but otherwise mediocre
Camry Hybrid
Bud Light-- Save Yourself (Bear Attack)
Land Rover
Pirate with Sharpie -- retractible pen

Worst:
Burger King Whopperettes
Full Throttle
Almost all the Pepsi ads particularly the Recording Studio version
Emerald Nuts -- Druids
ESPN Mobile -- another ad for yet another cell phone stupidity.
Any Cell phone ad just out of principle.
Nationwide Insurance -- Fabio and the swing.
Hidden Bud Light
Miller -- MGD Checkout Girl
Practical Solutions -- AntiBacterial wipes/Hazmat Suits
Career Builder Monkeys -- didn't like the first, hated the sequel
Escalade -- gorgeous in High Def, but so what

Just too weird:
Hummer Monster

Tears to the Eyes:
Bud -- Baby Clydesdale pulls the wagon (with a little help)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
None of the ads touched the caliber of years past (Mac 1984, Budweiser Frogs, the icky Joe Green Coke ad, etc). I have to say the Fedex Caveman spot was my favorite, the worst one was the BK Whopperettes for its sheer creepiness and the 'Dropped Ball' award goes to Pepsi for not putting the Brown & Bubbly faux song on their commercial website for download. Mohr saved that ad from being totally worthless... makes me even more excited for the Action DVD.

BTW, the less said about the Stones & Halftime, the better. They bored instead of rocked. Did anyone else notice that the only person shown during the national anthem to have their hand over their heart was Condoleezza Rice? That's really sad.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

Technically, you shouldn't put your hand over your heart during the national anthem. Hand over heart is a symbol of pledging something. During the national anthem you are not pledging anything. Military folks should salute while others stand and remove hats (if worn) out of respect. This is what a military friend told me (if he was wrong, don't kill me) and it makes sense too me.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

This is not what I was taught in school or by my father, a major in the USAF. :)

From the U.S. Flag Code, Public Law 322:

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

The ads from not only this year's superbowl, but superbowls past can also be found at iFILM.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I liked the ad for the cell phone with the "theft deterrent" feature. Too bad I don't remember who it was for. I'd like to purchase that.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
Fed Ex was #1 for me. I also liked the Burger King ad. The jingle even acknowledged the creepy king which I got a giggle out of.

Every year I feel bombarded by juvenile Bud Light ads which I rarely find amusing and this year was not exception. They even ruined the Clydesdale football idea this year. However the junior Clydesdale pulling the wagon was very sweet. I hope they don't bury this one in the future.

The USAToday meter is on the web site and the "Magic Fridge" won for Bud Light.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Sierra Mist ad was funny, especially at the end when the security guy starts to slip on the rubber glove for a full body search.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Amen to Dove for what I thought was one of the best ads from a PR standpoint I think I've ever seen.

Dove Ad

I would bet 1/2 the women watching had a silent "cheer" just for the ad :) Brilliant, brilliant marketing on their point.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Was it really necessary to see the streaking sheep. ;) That was very funny.

I am also glad that BK acknowledged that the King is very creepy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks