Superbits Look and Sound Great!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Vandeweerd, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    Suberbits are here and "Air Force one" in dts....Yesss!! with the dts CD Logo where it belongs!! dd 5.1 was great on the original release but the dts DELIVERS an added punch that is lacking in the original release. I purchased "Air Force One" on it's own. "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", "The Fifth Element" and "Desperado" came in a 3 pack! On the whole I am very impressed!!
    ------------------
    Ed Vandeweerd
    [email protected]
    my collection

2. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Id give T5E a huge [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I love to chat about dvd & HT , feel free to yahoo me.YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
    " Master Yoda said I should be mindfull of the future." Obi-Won Kenobie

3. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

I doubt that there was anyone who said that Superbit DVDs would "look and sound bad". [​IMG]
    The Fifth Element already "looks and sound great" in the original DVD.
    However, the claim is that they will "look and sound better" than the regular releases - and whether they do - or not - is the question...

4. cody meche

cody meche Auditioning

what exactly is the theory behind these movies labeled superbits, the only thing that I can gather is that the soundtracks have been remixed and the video transfer spiffed up and transferred at a better rate

5. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, been lurking awhile but this is my first post. I picked up Desperado and T5E today at Best Buy. I asked the sales dude if the superbits were out yet and got a puzzled look in response. After brushing him off I found that the cart he was leaning on was full of them, they just hadn't been stuck on the shelf yet. So, I picked up Desperado and T5E as I don't own these titles yet. I can't comment on video improvements on my 32 inch standard screen but the Sound! Holy Crap Batman! These are not films you can listen to at night when others are sleeping.
    They said they were taking out all the bonus stuff but here are some 'Bonus Items' I found:
    1 Simple menus. Select audio track and hit play.
    2 You can skip the INTERPOL/FBI warning.
    3 Absolutely no cover-ripping anti-theft plastic wrap.
    Three cheers for superbit.
    ~Crowe~

6. Jeff F.

Jeff F. Stunt Coordinator

I just watched "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" last night (the non-Superbit version) and picked up the Superbit version today to see if there truly was a difference.
    FYI: I have a Sony 36XBR400 television.
    In my opinion, if I wasn't looking for it and hadn't watched the original release last night, I would have never noticed the improvements of the Superbit version.
    Sure, there were some scenes that looked a little bit sharper, but they were too few and far between to warrant replacing the original release with this spruced-up version.
    I will probably keep the original version just for the Michelle Yeoh interview and sell the Superbit.

7. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

This may be a dumb question, but are these new superbit DVD's anamorphic? I do not see it advertised online as anamorphic DVD's.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yes they are anamorphic. If you don't have the original Fifth Element, I think this is a worthy purchase, especially as there were no extras or trailers to be original one.
    I would say that the excellent special edition for CTHD makes it a much harder sell. Especially because I know it won't be able to look as good as TFE.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Personally, I have not seen a Superbit
    title yet.
    From what I have heard from people that have,
    the picture quality difference is minimal over
    the original releases.
    Most people on this forum feel that the improvement
    is marginal. Fewer think it's a major difference.
    Audio seems to be the factor that is enhanced.
    However, I can't replace my current versions based
    on a little better audio boost.
    I am not knocking Superbits. I just have talked
    to too many people that feel, well, that the
    original standard releases were fine to begin with
    and that replacing is not worth the cost factor.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Ron,
    I would suggest...If you had to buy ONLY ONE superbit DVD title. I would buy DESPERADO!
    ------------------

11. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Ron,
    I actually saW a material difference in resolution and contrast on the Superbit discs on my Sony XBR. Particularly Crouching Tiger looked much sharper and had better colors. The Fifth Element, already a superb transfer, did improve slightly and on the whole it adds up to a better viewing experience. Still comparing the Air Force One disc but this looks better too at first glance.
    My vote is that they do make a difference. A key variable may be the quality of the TV/DVD combination one has.
    Just my two cents... [​IMG]
    Lee

13. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Ron, I suggest that you check out a competing forum (AVS)for screenshots proving that there is a significant difference between the new SB 5th Element and the old one.
    On my system, which is extremely revealing (5' x 12' image viewed from 14'), the differences are obvious, and the reduction in edge enhancement is welcome as well.
    Ted

14. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I've purchased 3 and here's my assessment:
    Desperado
    Hands down a superior DVD to the original. I've heard that they used a new HD master for this transfer. They did something right because it looks a lot better than the old DVD. The DTS track sounds good on my system, but I've never been a huge DTS rules! DD sucks! guy. But I can't deny, the DTS sounds good. [​IMG]
    Fifth Element
    A moderate improvement over the original. It just looks more 3D, more film-like. Details I didn't notice before stood out. It's like having 20/30 vision and then getting it corrected to 20/20. Not night and day, but I did find the picture a little better for my eyes. Haven't sampled the DTS track on the louder portions yet.
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    It is obvious that they used the same master as the original. The specs appear in the same places, as far as I can tell. Still, I think this is where one can tell that the extra bits do yield a little bit of difference. As in Fifth Element, the overall picture just looks a little better, more depth to it, but the difference is less so than 5E. This purchase decision should be made like the old no-extras DTS discs. Do you want slightly better video and could give a rat's ass about extras? Buy the SuperBit. Do you want the extras and don't have a system that would show very fine nuances and differences? Then buy the original.
    I would recommend the Superbit versions of the other two as the original DVDs had no extras anyway.
    BTW, I'm on a Panasonic PT-47, fed component from an RP91 progressive scan player. AVIA calibrated (until next week when Michael TLV ISF's the bad boy!).

16. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

Is there any reviews yet for Gattacca? This is an excellent film that deserves the best picture and sound quality.

17. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I don't have the CTHD superbit, but I can tell you that CTHD looks much better in my Panasonic RP91 than in both my RCA 5200p (Panasonic A100) and my Apex AD-600A. Both of the latter had noticeable artifacting in the dark scenes but this was much reduced in the RP91, regardless if it was in progressive or interlaced mode or if MPEG noise reduction was active. (TV is a 34" widescreen Toshiba direct view with progressive scan and a built-in line doubler.)
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Paul, isn't Gattaca on the second wave of SuperBit titles, due in December? I think it is because I didn't see it at my local store. I would snap this one up in a hurry as I love this movie.

19. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Just to add that the best way to compare versions is by using a bigger display, FP if possible. I am saying this because it was my experience that previous DVDs that I saw as equal in terms of picture quality when I watched them on my Toshiba 36" told a different story when I upgraded my system to FP. Just MHO...
    Regards

20. chris georgeson

Yeah, the DTS is fine, but the Superbits Desperado, on my Sony 670 Carousel chokes consistently at the 18:03 mark, and then starts playing again. At first it paused at the 17:54 mark, the 17:59 mark, and then stutter stepped thru the first few seconds past the 18:00 mark.
    With a few repeated plays and a close look at the disc - no marks, fog, etc, - I can get it to play fine uptil the 18:03 mark.
    I don't know. There's nothing wrong with the carousel player, but I'll check out my 5th Element and Air Force One Superbits discs for playback probs
    ... anyone else have probs with their Superbits ?