Superbit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Does anyone know if Sony has any plans to licence their Superbit technology out to other companies, or are we stuck with Tristar titles?

2. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

It's not a technology, merely a methodology.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I wasn't aware there was any "technology" per se, I thought it was just dumping everything from the disc except the film itself and soundtracks in order to maximize the bit rate.

Many would argue that other studios are already matching, or exceeding, Superbit "standards."

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I doubt they'd lend it out. Superbit is Sony's proprietary mastering system and they have invested alot to make it viable. They do make some odd choices as films to give the Superbit treatment but recently, they have made "better" choices-From Here to Eternity, Das Boot and maybe Legends of the Fall, so there is hope that they're expanding into more genres rather than the standard big explosion action flick. Plus, other studios don't seem to have much problem putting out discs of similar quality to Superbit.

Bruce

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure this has been debated ad infinitum so lets not start this here.

To answer the first question in full. No there are no plans, because there is nothing terribly proprietary about what they do.

Think of it as a THX seal of quality on the DVD, except...you know...it actually indicates quality.

7. Olly Dean

Olly Dean HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

There's absolutely no reason why any other studio couldn't make a DVD with no extras and a high bitrate transfer, they just couldn't call it Superbit. To be honest I don't see the point of Superbit when studios are perfectly capable of getting great transfers onto a disc along with commentaries and features (see Ocean's Eleven).

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Superbit is overrated most of the time. I'll change it to underrated if they do Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit.

Many DVDs have Superbit or near-Superbit mastering. Close Encounters of the Third Kind, save for the very spoling menus, is basically Superbit. You only have the movie and the 3 audio tracks. It's also an excellent DVD.

Criterion uses dual-layered DVDs for their releases, even if it's not really needed.

The original Image DVDs for Modern Times, City Lights, and The Great Dictator utilize dual-layered discs even though the films aren't that long (Dictator is 2 hours, but the other two are under 90 minutes).

I do like, however, the concept of putting the video on its own disc and the extras on another. It doesn't hurt to maximize bitrate.

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I'm sure we'll see other studios do something similar. I've already seen R2 Japanese DVDs released in as "The High-Bit Edition"

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm SO glad to see everyone else not fooled by the gimmick of Superbit. [​IMG]

I once got into a conversation with someone who claimed that Superbits were FAR superior to any DVD out there. I even checked out the web site and pointed out that the Superbit technology boasts that it runs at an average of 8mb whereas regular DVD's run at less than 5/sec.

Maybe back in '98 this would be true, but I've seen PLENTY of DVD's that run even higher than 8/sec, so what's the big deal?

The best comeback this person could say was "The Patriot Superbit is FAR superior to the old version" [​IMG] So what! You don't need Superbit technology to bump up the data rates!!!!!

The cool thing about Superbit is the fact that they use the entire DVD for video and sound (i.e No extras), but as PatrickMcCart stated, so many other DVD's have been released with the movie on one disc and the extras on another...so again, what's the big deal????

It's amazing how Columbia/Tristar has convinced people to buy Superbits, when other companies are doing the SAME thing, PLUS adding extras on another disc. [​IMG]

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

13. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I think I'm going to make some "Superbit" stickers that I can stamp on my old DTS-only discs. I think I just might get a bit more picture and sound quality out of The Peacemaker DTS if it had a Superbit sticker on it. Then I'll put a "Turbo" sticker on my car and gain 50hp.

14. Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds Stunt Coordinator

I have to say, I am sort of taken aback at the lack of support for this methodology -- granted, some titles with the "superbit" lapel pin are unworthy, but other transfers are greatly improved; Snatch and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon come to mind.

I hardly think you can fault a studio for wanting to cater to videophiles. I for one love it.

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I, for one, am a supporter of Superbit and will continue to support it. Much the same that I am a supporter of DTS and will continue to support DTS soundtracks.

16. KennethHiland

I am a great supporter of Superbit. I want PQ and Sound, forget the extras. I look at my Desperado, MIB R2, Charlies Angels R2, Godzilla R2, Dracula, Patriot R2 with no extras disc, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon R2 and Fifth Element with great pleasure. Bring on more titles. Rumours of a Gladiator Superbit in R2.. I can't wait..

Kenneth

17. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

If you look on the Regional DVD Releases forum you will see that Gladiator has been confirmed.

But, isn't this the most pointless Superbit release to date? The original already has a virtually barebones presentation on Disc 1. The only extras being the DD 2.0 soundtrack and the commentary. It has animated menus, but anyone thinking that they are taking up disc space which will be used by the superbit release is deluding themselves (based on the average superbit release using around 2/3 or the available disc space)

Gladiator already has DTS, and we know no Superbit title to date has included a full-rate DTS track, so what's the point. If you think the superbit release will be noticeably better then you are virtually saying that Columbia (who distributed Gladiator in the UK) purposely compromised the original DVD release, which clearly is not true.

I think the real reason is the two disc Gladiator regularly shows up in the 2 for £25 offers in most retail shops. Of course, if they release a Superbit Gladiator they can see it for £22 again!

18. KennethHiland

R2 Gladiator has DTS ES Matrixed sound. R1 has DTS ES Discrete. I am hoping this will be fixed and also a Fifth Element like improvement if I'm lucky.

K

19. KennethHiland

20. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I just purchased my first Superbit (Airforce One). The best I can describe it with out giving a review is that I really, really enjoyed it. As far as the video transfer is concerned, I couldn't really say about the difference since I'm using S-VIDEO on a 32 inch Direct View t.v., but I can say the DTS on this is just spectacular. More enveloping sound in comparison to the DD version.

I tell you if they gave a choice between a movie release with extras and a Superbit, I'd would buy into it. Superbit should represent (for example) full bitrate of sound, and the best possible picture available. Just my thoughts. I understand that they can do this on all DVDs, but since they wont for some reason, then I think it's not all together a bad thing.