Superbit titles - bad movies???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Williams, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Why is it that most superbit titles are movies that aren't really all that good? I'm not saying that all are bad movies. Movies like From Here to Eternity, Das Boot and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, are really great movies, but come on, Anaconda and Air Force One are not what I would consider "great" movies. Even The Fifth Element, while one might consider it a great demo disc, is a far cry from being a great movie.

Pardon my rant, but it just seems like there should be more movies like The Godfather, Silence of the Lambs, Wizard of Oz, or Gone With the Wind that should receive the "superbit" treatment.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Part of the reason probably has something to do with existence of really good prints for new flicks. I mean to say that even with an extremely high bit-rate, older films will still look dated. For the most part it's unavoidable.

But, for the most part, I agree with you...I'd love Superbit releases of some of the films you mentioned.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Given that none of the titles you mentioned are Columbia, it probably won't be SuperBit.

Lawrence is coming in September

4. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

Nothing wrong with Punch-Drunk Love [​IMG]

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

In my opinion the only good films in the Superbit series are Das Boot, Panic Room, Lawrence of Arabia, Adaptation., and Punch-Drunk Love. Everything else is mediocre. I think Black Hawk Down and Glory would be excellent Superbit titles.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Black Hawk Down is probably coming. Pretty much anything Columbia has a good print of will wind up super-bitted eventually. And you didn't like Snatch? Or Bad Boys?

7. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Punch-Drunk Love is the only SuperBit title I own - and the fact that it's a Superbit title has nothing to do with the it.

Adaptation is the only other one I'll be picking up (once again, it being a Superbit doesn't factor in on the purchase decision).

I have no desire/need to upgrade Gattaca, and the rest of the Superbit line titles don't appeal to me.

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

They are pretty much all summer blockbusters which i happen to like :)

capt

9. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

One word: Labryinth. Best movie ever. Singing David Bowie, muppet goblins, and JENNIFER CONNELY.

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I am surprised some people still don't understand that Sony/Columbia Tri-Star is responsible Superbit. No the studio has "Superbits."

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Jim, I pretty much agree. While I have several other SB titles that I enjoy, I would never say they are great movies. And so many of the SB titles I consider actually rather poor movies. As was mentioned, quality of print seems to be what goes into deciding to SB a title, and nothing else (except making $$ of course). As has been pointed out before, SB means not a lot, many non-SB titles have better video and sound. It does mean something within the S/C T-S domain though. I suppose some people collect them, and will buy regardless of title...I just don't care about a quality representation of a lousy movie myself.

12. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    A lot of them, such as "Anaconda" and "Fifth Element," are also genre flicks which are probably more likely to match up with the techno geeks who enjoy such films, have kickin' home theaters, and even understand what "Superbit" means.

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yes, that's why I like the reviews here. There are some web sites that also never mention quality of the film, just the quality of the presentation. Of course, quality of film is a LOT more subjective, totally personal. And when it comes to reviewing quality of presentation, I NEED to know what equipment the reviewer was using. Somebody watching on a PC should not really comment on presentation quality, unless they find it bad. Good on a PC screen means nothing compared to viewing in a HT, IMO.

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Superbit schmuper-bit! [​IMG]

High-birate is but one factor in achieving a great DVD transfer. From Here To Eternity: Superbit - I couldn't believe it when that came out. What exactly was the point there? [​IMG]

I think because Columbia/Sony compress their DVDs in house, off their own backs, they feel like they can do things like Superbit - and more power to them. I just don't see the point: they could easily just put every bare-bones disc out in Superbit and every Special Edition out in Superbit Deluxe.

Gordy

16. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I find Home Theater magazine reviews worthless, always just a review of the movie, hardly mentioning picture and sound quality, let alone detailing the extras on the disc. If I want movie reviews, I'll go to imdb or rottentomatoes. If I want DVD reviews, I want picture/sound/extras reviews. One of the few good online DVD review sites is http://www.DVDlaser.com , Doug Pratt's website.

17. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom

Uh, wha?

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most are not what I would consider great movies although some of the ones I have, some people would lump into that category. All I know is I am waiting for Hook and First Knight to come and bring my total to 6..

- CTHD
    - AF1
    - T5E
    - TMOZ

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    tommy thats funny. before i saw your post i didnt even notice the missing "stuff".

as for going to doug pratt's web site, it is often 3 or 4 months behind what is published in his paper version of his newsletter.

but in my opinion his newsletter offers the most complete and best, reviews of dvd i have seen anywere.

with the exception of ron's.

many years ago when i fisrt started getting lasers i also subbed to his newsletter and read the best laser reviews i have ever seen.

20. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer