Superbit: Resident Evil, anyone reviewd this yet???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Saw this in Walmart, I was shocked but they had a couple of copies, anyway how is, how's the DTS on the new release. Just curious.

2. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Sorry, Gabe, but I have to disagree with most you stated in your review in regard to PQ.

Jerome, there is one interesting fact about the original Resident Evil and the SB rerelease that noone seems to have noticed.

Will wait a bit if anyone comes up with that fact [​IMG]

3. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

Ok, Bjoern. I have waited a few minutes, let's have it! :)

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    The suspense is killing me! If it does, sever my spine or give me a severe trauma to my brain so I don't walk around without a soul.[​IMG]

5. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I;m just guessing here but is it the fact that it has DTS? Personally, I'm waiting for the 2 disc set. I guess though a Superbit release has delayed that release...
    Thanks

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well sounds like a no purchase for me, but don't keep us waiting, what's the difference between the two.

7. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, would it have anything to do with Edge Enhancement? I'm assuming the original had some and the Superbit has less. Of course, I have only watched the original so I am merely guessing here. I too have thought of picking this title up for what I'm sure is a bit better picture quality and that dts track.

8. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I think that the picture quality is fantastic on the Superbit release.

And I thought that the DTS track was good also. I would recommend this title.

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I don't have the original, but back when we did, we did pic comparisons, and it looked very similar on the then 36" screen.

the dirt hasn't been cleaned up, and the pic looks slightly soft on our present 50".

the DTS track sounds pretty good. the DD on the original was also sounded relatively good.

take your pic,[​IMG]

price, sound, extras?

best SB pic I've seen thus far is SNATCH, but that was one of the first few movies watched on the plasma, so my observation could be coloured somewhat [​IMG]. Maybe I should watch it again now.

10. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Resident Evil is the first title I have doubled up on. The audio commentary on the standard release is too much fun to not have in my library (basically I can't get enough of Milla Jovovich). And then the HT nut in me won't let me live with the idea that there may be a better looking and sounding version of one of my favorite movies of last year, so I had to get the SuperBit.

Usually I'm OK with sacrificing extras for AV quality - but Resident Evil has proven to be the exception - I need both.

Pieter

11. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

You know, I've never understood how people can complain about film grain as being a bad thing on a DVD release. If the original film had a grainy look to it, then you want that grain to be present on the DVD, because if it's not that means they used a high frequency filter which will not only reduce the film grain but also fine detail. Is that really what you want? Not me.

Now if what some people are calling grain is actually mosquito noise compression artifacts I can maybe understand, but the two are different, and have a different look to them.

As for Bjoern's cryptic post [​IMG], I haven't done a comparison with RE, but the two areas where I've seen the most improvement on other Superbit titles is less edge enhancement and greater horizontal detail.

12. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

13. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Come clean Bjeorn!

I've always just assumed that when people have said a dvd release has too much grain that they are referring to the mosquito noise compression artifacts present. Grain's good though. Something without any grain at all wouldn't come across as film.