Superbit - Labrinyth & The Dark Crystal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Getson, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone seen the Superbit verison of these movies? I've read a couple reviews, but I always like to hear more opinions.

How do they compare to the original DVD releases?
    Would you suggest repurchasing?

These are my favourite movies and I've love to see them look as good as they possibly could.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I know that dvdreview.com has reviews of the Dark Crystal Superbit, as does dvdfile (I think they did Labyrinth as well).

Sounds like both new versions improve picture, and to a degree the sound, of the originals.

I'm getting them both but haven't received yet to compare.

dave [​IMG]

3. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I was going to pick them up, but after seeing the price I left them on the shelves. I will never pay a premium price for a bare bones superbit Paramount. 34 bucks is way too much to double dip. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dean

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Uh...Paramount? Try Columbia. I think that the discs would have to be much superior to the originals for me to shell out the bucks for them. The original discs are available at a bargain price and have great (long) documentaries that were made during the production.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Heck...I woudln't pay those rediculous prices either!

That's why I pre-order items like this from deepdiscountdvd.com!!!

6. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

The new Superbit line can be had (at least in this area) for as little as $24.00 - $25.00 CAN per disc... that equates to about $15.00 bucks US. Even deepdiscountdvd.com is somewhere around $20.00 bucks USD IIRC. Believe it or not, our local Walmart has the entire line with the cheapest prices around with Future Shop being a close second.

7. Dean_Jonesy

Dean_Jonesy Agent

Not worth it for me. I am an extras guy. I already have the original Dark Crystal but I do want Labrynth. Looks like I'll get the regular verson of that too.

8. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

From the few reviews I've ready, Labrinyth is much improved when compared to The Dark Crystal. If I didn't have the original of both, I'd get the Superbit Labrinyth version.

9. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I didn't pick up the new Dark Crystal since I already have the old one (though judging by all the dirt marks in that transfer, maybe it's worth an upgrade?). But I bought Labyrinth yesterday, and it looks pretty solid. It's not a fantastic looking Superbit like Bram Stoker's Dracula. The image is a little too coarsely grainy in places to make it a reference disc, but judging from the reviews of the first DVD it definitely seems like an improvement.

Now, how good is the Labyrinth documentary that I'm missing?

Mark

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

The review of Dark Crystal at DVD Talk said the PQ wasn't noticebly better. I just watched the 'old' version of DC the other night and it is very good on my 65" HDTV. Plus it there are just a ton of extras on that disc.

11. Dean Cooper

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Perhaps it is just me but I can not see much of a difference in those captures.

13. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Has anybody else noticed a lip synch problem with the DTS track on Labyrinth? The DD lines up perfectly.

Mark

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Let me revise, the Dark Crystal captures are very similar to my eyes but the Labyrinth pic's show finer grain on the Superbit than the older release.

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

16. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

One thing the Dark Crystal original has going for it is the isolated score audio track.

However, I'm a "Labyrinth" whore so I'm probably going to get the Superbit (but keep the original just to have it).

17. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I think the Labyrinth pics illustrate fairly significant differences. I've been wanting to purchase the movie for quite awhile but never got around to doing it. So, when faced with a choice between the two, I'm definitely going with the Superbit. However, I'm not 100% sure I would upgrade if I already owned it. Tough call...

18. Dean Cooper

Well after spending some time with these I have decided that unless you’re a big Dark Crystal fan, double dipping really doesn't seem worth the money. It does have an improvement in the picture but you really need to overlap the images and flash back and forth to actually see the difference. The sound track is very nice to have in 5.1, I'm going to keep both copies and be very happy having both.

For Labyrinth the picture improvement is much more noticeable but still really isn't anything to write home about. The big improvement is the sound track. With the original the sound level is really low causing you to raise the volume quite a bit beyond normal. This is fixed with the Superbit version of the movie. Once again if you're a major fan of the movie I highly recommend grabbing both versions of the movie. The documentary on the original is worth having IMO.

Dean

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

20. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer