What's new

Superbit DVDs, Why Not use the highest DTS bitrate? (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
Is there anywhere we can find out what titles are slated for release in Superbit? Will this be something that many studios will use? Is just one or many studios going to release Superbit DVDs? i.e., FOX, Disney, Warner, Paramount, MGM, etc... How does Sony fit into the scheme?
------------------
Link Removed

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Chris, Superbit is just a label Sony is giving this releases, similar to Universal and their Ultimate Ediions, Disney and their Gold Collection, etc.
It is not in any way a new DVD format or industry wide naming scheme for such discs that offer than same thing as these Columbia releases.
Truth be told, the original discs that could be considered "Superbit" were the first Universal DTS only releases. Here we got no extras, full bit rate DTS, and dual layered discs. I am guessing these did not sell that well compared to their DD counterparts, hence the implementation of handicapped half bit rate DTS by Universal, and almost every other studio there after.
Maybe this line will take off especially if added detail is given to the audio mix on the disc, and the video is a major improvement (dont see how the video part could happen though). If not, they may not provide much of an upgrade compared to the regualr releases and will have a similar fate to the Universal DTS only discs (but for different reasons).
J

ChrisA

Second Unit
I didn't realize that Ultimate Editions were A/V enhanced or optimized. I just thought that Ultimate Editions were more extras and a half-rate DTS track. the difference between half-rate DTS and DD is not as exciting as the difference between full-rate.
Can you give me any examples of Ultimate editions where the audio or video are enhanced? Has anyone compared an Ultimate Edition with the other versions? It is hard to keep up with all the various versions.
quote: Truth be told, the original discs that could be considered "Superbit" were the first Universal DTS only releases. Here we got no extras, full bit rate DTS, and dual layered discs. [/quote]
That would definitely go along with my priorities of having the higher A/V quality.
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by ChrisA on August 26, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Chris my example of Ultimate Editions was not to say they were along the lines of a Sony "Superbit" disc, but instead to say it is just a product label, just as "Superbit" is a product label.
"Is there anywhere we can find out what titles are slated for release in Superbit? Will this be something that many studios will use? Is just one or many studios going to release Superbit DVDs? i.e., FOX, Disney, Warner, Paramount, MGM, etc... How does Sony fit into the scheme?"
Just answereing your question as to how many studios are going to use Superbit as a disc title. It is a Sony term most likely trademarked that will be used by them only. I hope this clears up your misunderstanding.
J
[Edited last by Justin Lane on August 26, 2001 at 02:18 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks