What's new

Superbit DVDs - why just 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I was thinking that if Superbit title are supposed to be the best quality you can get on DVD why are the audio tracks limited to just 5.1. Why not encode the audio in DTS 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX. Is it a space issue?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
It takes more than just encoding to create a Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES soundtrack. A new mix is required and this costs money.

I don't own any Superbit titles and I may be wrong about this, but I never thought of the Superbits as something that would include the latest home theater gimmicks. I had the impression the idea was to recreate the theatrical experience as closely as possible. Just because it's possible to remix and re-encode sound doesn't mean it should be done.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I might be worng but many of the movie weren't 5.1 to begin with so they had to remix them from the start...unless they are taking the 5.1 remixes for the nonsuperbit releases.

Rutgar

Second Unit
I hate to burst your bubble, but most 6.1 mixes, are just 5.1 mixes with the same surround info channeled to the additional channel.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

It's probably the only one so far, but the Punch-Drunk Love Superbit has DD 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 Matrix.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A few superbit titles have involved remixes from mono or stereo, but most are movies that were 5.1 in theaters.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks