Superbit DVD's. Exist already?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  2. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Word is that the DTS will be half bitrate.
    And yes, there are many dual layer movie only discs and two disc sets that devote the space of an eitire dual layer disc to the feature. This is why I have a hard time understanding what is so special about Superbit DVD's.

3. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Don't the Paramount DVDs traditionally have a high bit-rate? I think I remember hearing this somewhere. I have no way of telling with my own equipment.

4. Frank Abeyta

Frank Abeyta Extra

Yes, Paramount dual layer DVD's do normally have a high bit rate. Fox DVD's also have high bit rates.
    Columbia DVD's traditionally have relatively low bit rates, but still yield stunning video quality. So it should be interesting to see what their DVD's look like with higher bit rates.

5. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

there are two titles that extremely stunning in their image and excellent sound: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT and THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS: stunning transfers.
    there are other titles that are very good too like RUSH HOUR or BLADE or SET IF OFF or LOST IN SPACE, all four NEW LINE titles... all reference for the video and with excellent dolby digital.
    ZORRO is also stunning.
    the SUPERBITS dvds will be judged by such dvds I think...

6. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    There are a number releases in Japan that were single layer in USA but released as dual layer in Japan with no other extras. One that comes to mind is Firth Element. There are others, but I don't recall. Many disces in USA have been single layer, double sided in order to accomodate 4X3 and widescreen. In Japan, they are widescreen only.

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    DreamWorks and Universal's initial DTS releases were featureless, with virtually the entire disc used for video and audio (including 1509kbps DTS), but both changed to the lower bit-rate variant to add supplemental features.
    Columbia TriStar are simply doing this in reverse with their SuperBit titles (albeit with the lower bit-rate DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1).
    Adam

8. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

"The Ten Commandments" DVD (on 2 dual layered discs) has
    a VERY high bitrate throughout the film.

9. Randy R.

Randy R. Auditioning

How much better would Toy Story look in Super bit?
    A bug's Life / Titan AE / Tarzan ?
    Super Bit may end up being Super BS.
    1/2 rate DTS... Where's the payoff?
    More money? Not mine.
    Good Luck Sony... There's one born every minute.

10. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I think the point for Sony is this: They are the first studio that we know that has admittedly stated to increase the video rate to double what the standard is; without a number of features. This is probably what they said at the Sony Dvd facilities, "If we then get rid of the features, we can use that space to enhance the video transfer, and include dts along with DD."
    I think where I have a problem with this is the fact that dvd's no matter what flavor of dvd you have can only hold a finite amount of data. How you take advantage of that data is up to the engineers. Everyone keep in mind that just because you increase that data rate, that doesn't always coincide with quality. That is a paraphrase quote that I read in the Owner's Manual when I bought my DVP-S7000 in 1997. That is something that I have read in various sources throughout the years I have been involded with dvd. Now, it seems like Sony is doing away with this statement somehow by saying that they will double the video data rate, and include dts.
    Like everyone knows; there are very beautiful transfers that are reference quality. What is the data rate that was used for those transfers? We don't know. I will tell all of you guys this: I will invest in all of the titles that Sony has stated to release this year. I think all of those people who will continually support dts should buy these titles, just so that we can increase the dts base.
    Point blank: I you don't think that these titles will be worth it; don't buy them. As for me and quite a few quality/dd/dts buffs out there we will buy these titles again.
    And let's not forget, outside of the engineers and people who directly work for Sony/CTS; we have absolutely no idea how more beautiful these transfers will be. So let's not quickly judge Sony/CTS just because they say "SuperBit"

11. Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Sutjahjo Ngaserin Stunt Coordinator

For anyone interested http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...erbitdvd.shtml
    I think Neil's question is e.g., is the current CTHD already superbit or ONLY the coming pack of 3? or did I get it wrong?
    [Edited last by Sutjahjo Ngaserin on August 13, 2001 at 06:44 PM]

12. YANG

YANG Second Unit

CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON will be available in both single release and 3pc pack,as according to the official news release.