What's new

superbit dvds... another reason to buy a dvd you already have? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I would buy a SUPERBIT DVD if there was NO EDGE ENHANCEMENT and just ONE soundtrack. But we are getting the same old EE with two or three soundtracks. That means less space for the video, which is all important to me, now that I have an HDTV and the ability to see artifacts that were not apparent on a tube.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
The issue for me is that this seems like the studio is trying to set up a tier system, with the Superbit release giving us supposed better picture and sound over the standard release that we already have. My feeling is that all DVDs should be the best they can be right from the start. After all that's why DVD is where it is today because it's better, and given the investment we've all made in hardware we DESERVE to get the best possible product the first time every time. OK I'm done.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
I think we should hold off any judgment 0n superbit quality until there are more diverse reviews or till some of us have seen them.
The reviews only come from one publication thus far and afterall, none of these Superbit DVDs are issued by DTS :)
I myself has no inkling of how the video quality is going to be like until another 12 days or so...
Jaw

ChrisA

Second Unit
putting half-rate DTS on the disc was uneccessary and a waste of bandwidth.
Either use DD at max rate 448, which was done and NO DTS TRACK....or use DTS FULL 3:1 rate with just a DD 2.0 track.
NO EE is obviously a must.
I agree that they should have made 2 DVD SE Superbit versions so people could still have some extras. THE KEY HERE IS BANDWIDTH NOT STORAGE SPACE. You can be efficient in terms of not having multiple languages and soundtracks available on the fly, maintaing MAX A/V bandwidth quality. But to eliminate deleted scenes ans most extras is not necessary because that is an issue of storage space. I see no reason not to appease those who want extras to make a second disc.
1) No Edge Enhancement
2) No half rate DTS.. Use Full rate DTS and DD 2.0 or simply use DD running at 448k. Half rate DTS is not worthwhile.
3) Superbit DVDs can contain One DVD for the movie, and a second DVD for extras.
I will still support Companies who try to push the A/V quality envelope because IMO most extras SUCK. But that is just my opinion. I do want max A/V quality, unfortunately, it seems they are not making the best decisions, in my opinion.
------------------
Link Removed

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Bill Hunt just weighed in on The Fifth Element superbits version. Check out his comments at the digital bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks