Superbit DVD VS. DVDs with Supplements with sub-par picture and sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

The thing is I don't buy a DVD for the supplements. I buy them because I want to view the film represented on the DVD. Which means I want an high quality anamorphic video transfer and the highest bit rate possible for picture and sound. If that means no supplements, then so be it. I usually don't even bother with the supplements. I think it would be a terrific idea if they released both versions at once and keep both camps happy on this issue. If I want the supplements then I'll buy the special features version or both (the studios will love that). I'd love to be an executive at Universal or Warners making these decisions. (Hey Warners, give me a call, I'm serious!! I have a great idea for a new Pee Wee Herman film.) I understand the economics of their decision regarding supplements. If it's marketed correctly, I can see them making a pretty good profit from both superbit and it's supplements laden brother. Tell me what you think.

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Simple solution...first disc is maximum data rate for video and audio...second dsic nothing but supplements. Look at Fight Club, Gladiator, Star Wars...it is better that way. Leave the extras to their own little world and maximize the space for the film on the first disc.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If I had to choose, I would choose the better picture and sound quality assuming the special edition had sub-par av. The trouble is that the superbits reviewed so far have only very marginal improvements at best. Time will tell.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1

4. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Neil, where have you've read reviews on the Superbit DVDs?

5. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I am going to give it a shot and buy 5th Element. I'll compare both versions in my FP and if I see a substantial difference then I am in for Superbit discs...well at least Air Force One cause I don't like the others available now. Is not like I am going to spend that much and its a fair chance of getting better image quality...besides I still owe my bro' a birthday present [​IMG]

6. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

---This was my response to a similar thread---
    I, for one, really look forward to all the supplemental material. Based on this list,
    I would have to make these decisions:
    -Movies I own
    Air Force One - Not a big fan, though my wife likes it. I am already planning on
    replacing In Line of Fire for new version (read: extra material), and would like to
    replace Das Boot for new non-flipper (I bought the 4-pak with Perfect Storm)
    Fifth Element - My first DVD (bought it before I got my player!), and I was upset
    to hear that Region 2(?) version had lots of supplements. If the Region 1 had the
    same stuff, I would have considered buying the Superbit version. Since I would
    ONLY get a better picture with nothing else (and I don't have a bad-ass
    widescreen t.v. to show it off), then I have no reason whatsoever to purchase
    this.
    -Movies I've seen
    Bram Stoker's Dracula - Not the best interpretation, IMO. Some good stuff, but
    still lacking. If I were to buy it, I would wait for the rumored SE (supplements)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Rented. Loved the extra material and "making
    of". No contest here.
    Desperado - Not a big fan
    Gattaca - Loved it, but would have to see if the original DVD has supplements.
    This is the only one I'm unsure about.
    Johnny Mnemonic - I don't think the original DVD has supplements, so I would
    consider buying this one.
    Patriot - Nope, the first has all the supplements. I've rented this one, and it
    looked and sounded great.
    Obviously, you can see my bias (and don't bother arguing the value of
    supplements with me, as you will not change my opinion of them. If they're
    worthless to you, then you don't have to watch them.)

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph