Superbit DVD-s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabor, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Gabor

Gabor Auditioning

Is Superbit for real?

Can the enhancements be seen with average equipment?

The few comments I have seen apparently applaud the sound quality too, even though I don't beleive the sound is handled any differently from a regular DVD. (Max. half bit-rate DTS?) Thanks.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Do a SuperBit search. You'll find plenty to answer your questions.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

If you don't have the titles on Superbit, I would suggest buying them. If you already have the titles. Keep your originals. The only way I will buy Superbit is if I don't have them or it is an old dvd with a bad transfer. But there is a slight difference in picture and sound. Having a DTS soundtrack is nice.

4. BrianMu

BrianMu Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Jeff. If you already have the movies on DVD, don't bother. I have Air Force One but won't be buying the SB version. I got The Fifth Element a few weeks ago though and can really see a difference in picture quality between that DVD and all of my other DVDs. This is on a 50" Toshiba analog RPTV. The DTS track is a bonus as well. So if you were considering getting any of these movies before the SB version came out, go for it. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

Brian

5. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

-I was disappointed. I could not see any differeance. I raised this issue on the forum previously and someone suggested I put the bit meter on to measure,not all dvd playes come equipped with a bit meter. I purchased air force one. and the phantom menace had a better transfer.One option available, that there is a dts soundtrack available

6. Mark_Haanraadts

I think it matters whether you have an excellent to high-end setup or not: if you have a 40" screen or lower, the video differences aren't that obvious and IMO you need a high quality DD/DTS setup to hear the higher bitrate...

7. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

well i have a small Wega that can do the 16:9 squeeze, and I could still see big differences with the FIFTH ELEMENT and CROUCHING TIGER transfers. While the original dvd's looked great, there were instances of compression artifacting on both dvd's that have disappeared with the new dvd's. I remember seeing some artifacting during the opening credits of FIFTH ELEMENT on the original dvd, they're no longer there with the superbits.

8. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

I have The Fith Element in both versions, and on my Toshiba 50HX81 the difference is VERY apparent. I would say that the SuperBit version is by far the most impressive looking DVD that I own.

9. Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Sutjahjo Ngaserin Stunt Coordinator

From previous discussions, it seems that the quality difference is equipment dependant.

For me I can see obvious difference in quality for all 5 released superbit titles versus their respective "normal" title. many others don't.

I am using Toshiba SD9200 connected to my JVC Plasma screen via component cable.

Personally I expected more obvious difference if you use professional front projection monitor with a properly connected progressive scan DVD player.

10. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"From previous discussions, it seems that the quality difference is equipment dependant."

Maybe...

To me,i can't tell if there is any big difference at all,probably i am using a 21inch direct view CTV with composite video input.My PHILIPS DVDplayer is not the progressive model,Q50.

The DTS track of AIR FORCE ONE outshines the first edition,but it comes with a extra work.The dialogue center channel volume is low,just like what the other members had mentioned,the dia-norm thing.

SUPERBIT DVDs should not be considered as reference material for HT setup,due to the low volume of the center channel.Instead,the center channel should be calibrated with other regular material which are not affected by the dia-norm feature...

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    My observations are that the improvement is

nominal. I have a 57" RPTV and if I wasn't

looking for the improvement I would not have

noticed it.

The improvement is marginal.

The reason I am interested in SuperBit DVDs

is solely for the DTS soundtrack which is much

more active than their standard counterparts.

12. Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Sutjahjo Ngaserin Stunt Coordinator

Yang,

maybe off topic

As far as I know, Q50 (this is the one with very slick and slim design?) is a progressive scan player, more than that, it is one of the very few non-super espensive player using the Faroudja DCDi chip. an excellent player at an affordable price.

The only other non-super-espensive player using the same chip I know is the Skyworth...

If I am correct in Q50, you can see a great improvement in video quality if you can use your component cable with a right monitor.

Cheers

Jaw

also in Sinngapore

13. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Q50 is the only model that PHILIPS offered in SINGAPORE,that features DCDi progressive processing.Yes,thats the one that looks sexier than the PIONEER DV-433,which is not a progressive player.

The SKYWORTH player,so far i had not seen the actual product anywhere in singapore.

Back to the topic,

What you have said could be right.Maybe i will need a big mega screen to notice the difference in video quality of the two release.But,assume that you had observed carefully,most locals may not be able to have big screen installations at home.40inch and above will be a problem,plasma display is currently standing at a very high price that not everybody may be able to afford.

The most common television size in local households are 33inch 4:3 CTV and below...

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Has any announcement been made about The Patriot? It was cancelled....

15. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

I've got a mid setup and I saw and heard enough of a difference in Johnny M. and Fifth Element that I drooling for the SB release (12/11) of Bram's Stokers Dracula!.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I'll have a review of the Superbit version of

Bram Stoker's Dracula very soon. Review copies

are being sent out to websites.

I look forward to comparing the original version

to the Superbit.

You'll be hearing a lot about this title from

many of the websites over the next few weeks.

17. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Ron,

Is there an archive/index of your reviews ??

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Not yet.

I am thinking of putting one together.

(For what it's worth)

Regards!

19. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I am thinking of putting one together.
    (For what it's worth)

20. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

I watched my recent purchase of Superbit "The Fifth Elements". At the scene of diva singing, I switched the audio from DTS to DD. I am using just 2-channel high-end stereo set-up(shame on me....[​IMG]) and in many cases, 2-ch downmix of DTS sounds quite less louder than 2-ch downmixed DD. Even with less sound level, I couldn't hear hiss noise in DTS, while that noise was very apparent in DD track. Superbit DVD is worth even just with its DTS soundtrack. I know a videophile who praised the video quality of Superbit DVD's except "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".