What's new

Super Speedway. Anyone Have It? (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I bought the Mach II SE version for my brother, an admirer of F-1/Cart racing. The DTS sound is fantastic. The picture quality is very good on my 36XBR450. I know that the OAR for IMAX movies is roughly 4:3, but I prefer the widescreen version available on the Mach II SE--better resolution with the 16:9 mode. This is an interesting documentary on Mario Andretti, creating a new car, and restoring an old one. I really enjoyed watching this one and the behind-the-scenes, making of feature.

Enjoy!

-Chris

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, you can't listen to the DTS track when watching the proper OAR version of the film, but that's OK, the DD5.1 still sounds great.

A must-own!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I about got the Mach II but it was much shorter. Any idea why?
It is not...it is the same...maybe the old packaging listed the total running time as including the documentary and the new one does not.

Anhow, the old disc includes

1) The movie, in 4:3 which is almost OAR. This contains DD5.1 tracks in a few languages.

2) The documentary, shot on video in 4:3

The new disc has the same thing, plus:

3) The movie, cropped to non-OAR 16:9 anamorphic. This contains DD5.1 and DTS5.1, both in english.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I have the first edition of it. The sound is very good. Very effective!

For those who have the latest edition, is the upgrade really worth it?

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard the latest version, but the older one was the loudest DVD I've ever heard. On a truly reference system, it sounds great, but on a lesser system, it can be brutal on the ears. Some neat surround effects, and it makes a good documentary on formula racing. I thought it was a fun DVD.

tony

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
For those with 16:9 displays the upgrade is definitely worth it. My grandson, Robbie, who loves this title, "inherited" my old copy.
Vroom, Vroom!!
;)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
For these IMAX releases to DVD it sounds like there is really no "proper" video presentation for the odd ball aspect ratio they have.

The 1.33:1 presentation crops the sides slightly.

The 1.78:1 HDTV type presentation crops the top and bottom slightly.

Plus, you can't recreate the "huge screen" experience except for perhaps the sound with properly mastered DTS 24/96 tracks (if you have one killer DTS surround system).

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread