Super Smash Bros. Melee (new moves?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos Mendoza, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Someone explain this to me please? (from the TechTv review of the game):

"The gameplay has been tweaked to be a bit less frenetic, and it has some new additions. Characters now have the ability to dodge into the background or foreground to avoid attacks..."

What does this mean? I have been playing this for a while, but don't know how to "dodge into the background of foreground to avoid attacks". Is this a button/joystick combo that me and my kids don't know about?

I imagine this means that if you are facing, say Link, and he shoots an arrow at you, you can dodge by going "deeper" or "shallower" into the screen. In other words, you send your character to another plane, not jumping left/right or up/down, but in/out!

Is this right?

2. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

While I've never tried the move, I do believe it is available and the game shows you how to perform it under the tutorial option. Hopefully a non-button-masher here on the forum will be able to give you a more precise answer.

Pieter

3. Jon Liu

Jon Liu Auditioning

I think it was deceiving of them to phrase it like that (into the foreground or background). When you dodge in the air (I forget how to do it) the character does a quick move out of the way, depending on what direction you choose to dodge. These moves come in real handy. If I'm not mistaken the way to dodge in the air is the same as the way to dodge on the ground. I honestly cannot remember how to do either one at the moment, but if I remember or if someone else can verify this and how to do it, please post here!

Regards,

Jonathan

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

The dodge move is performed by holding down the L or R buttons all the way and then pushing up or down on the control stick.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Someone could give me their copy of the game so I could find out?[​IMG]

6. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

To Air Dodge, you just have use either of your shield buttons (L & R triggers) in the air. To dodge on the ground you have to hit your shield button and down on the control stick at the same time.

7. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all! Tried it out last night and it does work as advertised.
    My kids whip me pretty much every game, so maybe this move will help me get out of the way. Ol' Dad's not what he used to be.
    [​IMG]

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The only game my dad has played on his own free will (AFAIK) is Tetris. Though he did try Shadows of the Empire once.