What's new

Super Smash Bros. Melee (new moves?) (1 Viewer)

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Someone explain this to me please? (from the TechTv review of the game):

"The gameplay has been tweaked to be a bit less frenetic, and it has some new additions. Characters now have the ability to dodge into the background or foreground to avoid attacks..."

What does this mean? I have been playing this for a while, but don't know how to "dodge into the background of foreground to avoid attacks". Is this a button/joystick combo that me and my kids don't know about?

I imagine this means that if you are facing, say Link, and he shoots an arrow at you, you can dodge by going "deeper" or "shallower" into the screen. In other words, you send your character to another plane, not jumping left/right or up/down, but in/out!

Is this right?

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
While I've never tried the move, I do believe it is available and the game shows you how to perform it under the tutorial option. Hopefully a non-button-masher here on the forum will be able to give you a more precise answer.

Pieter

Jon Liu

Auditioning
I think it was deceiving of them to phrase it like that (into the foreground or background). When you dodge in the air (I forget how to do it) the character does a quick move out of the way, depending on what direction you choose to dodge. These moves come in real handy. If I'm not mistaken the way to dodge in the air is the same as the way to dodge on the ground. I honestly cannot remember how to do either one at the moment, but if I remember or if someone else can verify this and how to do it, please post here!

Regards,

Jonathan

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
The dodge move is performed by holding down the L or R buttons all the way and then pushing up or down on the control stick.

Eric Nees

Agent
To Air Dodge, you just have use either of your shield buttons (L & R triggers) in the air. To dodge on the ground you have to hit your shield button and down on the control stick at the same time.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all! Tried it out last night and it does work as advertised.
My kids whip me pretty much every game, so maybe this move will help me get out of the way. Ol' Dad's not what he used to be.
:frowning:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The only game my dad has played on his own free will (AFAIK) is Tetris. Though he did try Shadows of the Empire once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks