1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"Super Size Me" 2 Versions???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob clamer, Sep 28, 2004.

1. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

I get non-anamorphic DVDs sometimes if I'm convinced that this will be the final release of the film on home video for the foreseeable future, but I just have this feeling that Spurlock has enough leftover footage to revisit this documentary in an unrated release somewhere down the road. For now, this version is a rental.

P.S. C'mon, Bridget, how can you say this film is propaganda? Just because it bored you? This was ONE man, not a political or corporate entity, trying to make a point about the devastating effects of fast food on your health. And the last time I checked, most propaganda contains content that is patently FALSE. Now I'm sure we'd all like to believe that McDonald's really isn't THAT bad for you, but 'tain't so.

2. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

I was skeptical when I first went to watch this, thinking it was going to be another Michael Moore type thing with facts that aren't neccessarilly true...but they support what he's saying so they become true.

But that wasn't the case with this film. It's a fantastic film and I would highly support a family version being released since the only reason this film got a PG-13 was because of language, and conversations about his sex life. That's it. The subject matter is PG worthy, at best.

This is NOT propoganda.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Just got an email back from Morgan:

Hope that helps!

4. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Scott,

good to know we have the theatrical version even if it is not anamorphic [​IMG]

5. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Second Unit

If kids were outside playing that they're supposed to be rather than watching TV all day, they wouldn't have the chance to be so exposed to advertisement.

6. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Yay! I just figured out how to use the "ignore" function!

FYI:
    Click on the person's profile, then click, add person to your ignore list. [​IMG]

7. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Assuming there are no busses, billboards, or radios turned on in their neighborhood, of course. [​IMG]

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    LOL, richardWI. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Scott:

Thx very much for the info directly from Morgan.

I asked about this issue in my post here and am unfortunately a little confused by Morgan's e-mail.
    The "Family Friendly" version is available now via Amazon . . . and will be available via other e-/retailers "next year" (underline mine)? And the version currently-available via means other than Amazon is the theatrical version?

The version that comes up upon searching for the film title in "DVD" at Amazon is no longer labeled either "(WS Sub)," "Family Version" or "PG-13." How can one ensure they're getting the theatrical cut via Amazon (or any other source)?

Also, do you think Morgan might speak to the issue of why the transfer is non-anamorphic if you were to e-mail him about that? Future anamorphic re-release?

-p

9. Scott Weinberg

Paul,

I'm fairly certain that what Morgan meant was:

The currently released version is the theatrical version.

The unrated version will be released next year although it should be available for pre-order already.

Odd that the second version has disappeared from Amazon, though.

I'll drop M.S. another email early next week, asking for some clarifications between the versions and the lack of an anamorphic transfer. I don't want to make nuisance of my sorry-ass self. [​IMG]

Glad I could help out.

10. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Scott: Thx for prompt reply/post.

I got it . . . partially.
    If by "unrated," you're referring to his edits (taking ". . . out all drug, sexual references, all foul language and any potentially "offensive" material. (i.e., the rectal exam is gone but The puke scene stayed. The gastric bypass was tweaked, but remained as well)"), then okay. But doesn't (a la another pic you and I both dug The Girl Next Door) "unrated" usually mean the racier content is left in?

-p

11. Scott Weinberg

Pauly,

Yes, by "unrated" I did indeed mean the "family friendly" version. I should have avoided using the word "unrated" for the reason you mention.

Elisha Cuthbert a hottie!

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins

Watching this DVD, it looked to me like it was shot on video and then filtered to look like film. Would an anamorphic presentation still yield more resolution? Just curious.

13. Scott Weinberg

Good point, Jeff. I thought that perhaps the way SSM was filmed might preclude it from needing an anamorphic transfer, but I absolutely lack the technical know-how to have proposed it on my own. [​IMG]

14. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Looks like that early dual release information is still propagated thoughout the 'Net. Searching for the title at DVDPriceSearch.com brings up two results: the "R Rated Version" (which I guess means the PG-13 theatrical version) and the "Family Friendly Version" (which I guess means the, according to Morgan, not-yet-available, edited PG version).

To wit, if you click the Amazon link provided by Price Compare it takes you to the same "Looking For Something?" error page as when you click on the art work in The Bits' August 2 post I reference in the other thread.

I wonder if this poor information is Hart Sharp Video's or Columbia TriStar's 'fault'?

-p

15. Dave Yeung

Dave Yeung Auditioning

I have not seen this movie in the theatre, so I have a question about those "offensive" scene. In my DVD (Canadian version), the rectum exam scene is actually covered with a little black rectangle, so the actual insertion is still blocked off. Is that the same as the theatrical version? or is it just a Canadian censor?

Also, I notice that even thou the movie is not anamorphic, the deleted scenes ARE! It kinda strange that they'll do that.

16. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

I find it somewhat ridiculous that this film might be used as an "educational tool" in schools. Any educated person knows that eating "fast food" for every meal is not healthy.

As a middle-school science teacher, I discuss nutrition with my students, showing them how to read labels, how to count calories, fat grams, etc. Within 5 minutes, they'd see the flawed premise in this film -- even if you limit yourself to McDonald's, there are ways to create reasonably nutritional meals from their menu. (Guess what, just because they may ask if you want "super-sized" this or double that, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO SAY NO! What an incredible concept.)

Instead of a quater-pounder with cheese, just order a regular cheeseburger. Instead of "super-sized" fries, just get the smallest size -- I always get a small order of fries at any fast food place. In today's culture, I guess it's easier to put blame on corporate America than human beings who should have learned simple nutrition in school.

17. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

When I viewed "Super Size Me", I went in with the preconceived notion it was going to be done in a typical biased / bashing Michael Moore style, but I was pleasantly surprised. Morgan Spurlock treated everyone with a very high level of on-screen respect, even "the Big Mac Man" and (in the deleted scenes) the couple who collected McDonalds memorabilia. All very well done. And the french fry bonus feature is sure to send a chill down everyone's spine! [​IMG]

After reading these posts, I decided to look at "Supersize Me" with a DVD analysis tool to check it's authoring structure. To my surprise, there are TWO full length features on the DVD, with one ever so slightly longer than the other. I have not been able to view the second full length video stream at this time, but if I were to "guess", I would bet it's probably the edited for all ages version. I'm currently at work, but I wonder if one couldn't simply do a title search on their DVD player, and access the second version in that way....

18. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Have you seen the movie? If so, I'd like to hear what you think the premise is.

19. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

It is probably worth noting that in NZ there was a bit of media coverage about a guy that lost weight while going to McDonalds every day for month. The difference was that he was still careful about what he ate.

20. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The majority of the nutritionists surveyed in the documentary (IIRC, more than 85 of the 100 polled) advise against the consumption of fast food, period. Ordering smaller portions isn't the solution because the food being served is unhealthy to begin with. Too many of McDonalds' menu offerings are nutritionally lacking, and minimizing one's consumption will not avert the risks associated with its ingestion, regardless of how active a lifestyle you lead. People need to realize that there's more to being overweight/obese than just the caloric implications of eating a Big Mac, that there's a myriad of issues which compound a seemingly straightforward problem.