What's new

"Super Size Me" 2 Versions??? (1 Viewer)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Is there 2 different versions available for "Super Size Me"? I've seen a "Family Friendy Version" and an "R-Rated Version" listed online.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bob:

I believe its a PG-13 Theatrical release version and a G-rated "family-friendly version". I guess the theatrical release had a fair amount of bad language and secual references and they wanted to put out a version that you could feel better about showing kids. :rolleyes

I haven't seen any cover artwork which describes how anyone is going to differentiate between the two.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I know that people don't like their films "censored" and such, but in this particular instance, I completely support what the filmmakers are doing. The "family friendly" edition is completely supported by director Morgan Spurlock and was created so that the film can be used as an educational tool. If there's one thing that "Super Size Me" really hammered home to me, it's that kids can buy all manner of junk foods and soda in their schools of all places. Since a lot of junk food is marketed squarely at kids, I certainly support efforts to make them think about what they're eating, including "censoring" of anything that would prevent some parents from letting their kids watch "Super Size Me."

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ speaking of school, the Ontario government is considering banning junk food at elementary schools.

As for the two versions, someone in another thread mentioned that they decided to only release one version last minute.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, I heard that as well did they mention if it was the PG (family friendly) or the PG-13 version?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
no. But the Canadian version I have is rated PG with the warnings (Coarse Language and Mature Theme)...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I dropped Morgan an email asking him for the specific differences between the versions. Because he and I were repeatedly introduced to each other at two consecutive film festivals, we kinda became pals. ("Oh, you're that internet critic I now love so much!") He actually called me when he was in Philly so I could show him the best place to get a cheese steak! :b He loved it, and I was thrilled to introduce him to the wonderful world of Philly Cheese Steaks. (They're not much healthier than Big Macs, but damn they sure do taste better!)

I'll stop back when he gives me the details. But if you haven't seen the movie yet, it's definitely worth a look.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
My biggest gripe with this DVD is that, while it's widescren, it's not 16:9 enhanced. The version I have is rated PG-13.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Derek,

Wouldn't the film be more effective as an educational tool if it were shown to children uncut? Nothing put me off fast food growing up until I read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser (who is interviewed in the DVD special features) and basically got shocked off burgers for good.

I speak from experience: often shocking people off junk food is the only way to make them give it up. The earlier kids can kick the habit, the better for them.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Fast Food Nation is an excellent book, I really recommend it as well. So in theatres, it was Unrated, but on DVD it is PG-13? hmm.

Ryan

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

Hmm.. The Canadian version I have does list it as anamorphic. I guess I'll have to open it to find out.

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
I bet the scene where the doctor sticks his finger up Morgan's ass is cut on the family friendly edition. :D

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

You really don't lose anything by the scenes cut. Nothing really shocking about them, just things that may not be appropriate to talk about in schools (like his sex life and a couple swear words). I'm also fully supportive of the family friendly version as this should be shown in every health class. Now, there is no reason not to.

Great film. Still one of the best of the year for me.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I just don't see the point in showing this film to children. First of all, i'm sure they'd be bored to tears, hell, i was bored to tears and I'm an adult. Furthermore, children are really impressionable -- I wouldn't want my children watching Spurlock's propaganda

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ well, you do need something to balance out the fast food propaganda that these big corporations are putting out to your children. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks