Super Session

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomCW, Mar 5, 2003.

1. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The record although very entertaining was not what I would call even good recording even for it's era. The CD of it sounds more like MP3. I'd be intrested in an SACD of it.

3. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Rachael said:

I emailed Al Kooper and he indicated that he's still hard at work on the 5.1 mix for the SACD and has no idea of a release date yet. From what I saw at his web site, it sounds like the master tapes must be pretty good.
    Tom

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tom, we seem to be the only fans here. I'm not suprised... I didn't get many responses on my Friends Of Dean Martinez thread recently. The crowd here is on-to the big artists and frequently mum about everything else. Oh well, I bought this album in several formats before. I'll buy it one more time since Al has gone to all this trouble.[​IMG] Best wishes!

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, I've always liked this album, and I've never had any problems with the recording quality (low standards?), especially with the remaster of a few years ago, except for a couple of the cuts. Don't have SACD capability though, and don't know that I ever will, so I will probably miss this version.

6. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Rachel -
    I really enjoy the 'Stills' side. I only have the vinyl that I got in '70 or so. Sounds pretty good to me too.
    Friend of Dean Martinez, huh?... I'll have to check them out.

Alan - I think there's supposed to be a new CD remaster out next month.

NP Mark Selby - Dirt

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Since I'll be upgrading from an 8-Track tape I will be happy with whatever I get.

9. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

In addition to Super Session, I'm looking forward to Al Koopers' work on Dylans' sacd's. I listened to an interview last year where he spoke about many BS&T and Dylans' issues. Heavy stuff.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ok, some folks are just mum sometimes.[​IMG] I know this is dusty old stuff. Tom, the Friends Of are all intrumental and have a new double album called ON THE SHORE. I highly recommend it, of course![​IMG] Shake off the dust I like Bloomfield , Stils, and Kooper in any order on either side...and don't forget Harvey Brook's for HARVEY's TUNE. BTW, the MD of the LP I made sounds better than the CD. It's sort'a fresh on my mind because I made it about a month ago. I had the CD that I wasted my money on out then.

Larry, me too on thu diety elevation thang. I never saw the Blues Project but I did see Seatrain with Andy Khulberg BP'er and Richard "I can burn the strings off any fiddle" Green. I saw them in your neigborhood, relatively. I saw them at C.W. Post College's Gym/theatre (Long Island). The one that collapased under the weight of snow some many years ago. There was about ten inches of snow there the night of my concert back in the paleozoic age. It survived Seatrain that night but about 5 years later it came down the afternoon of a scheduled concert.

Best wishes guyz! [​IMG]

11. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Got this from the Daily Dish this Am...
    COMING FROM SONY LEGACY
    April 8

AL KOOPER & MIKE BLOOMFIELD - "Fillmore East: The Lost Concert Tapes 12/13/68" (Columbia/Legacy)
    * Previously unreleased! This CD captures the Kooper/Bloomfield team in full bloom, and is historically significant for playing a role in the signing of another superstar. Al Kooper invites a young Johnny Winter to the stage to play guitar on the B.B. King standard, "It's My Own Fault." The audience happened to be full of Columbia label staff that night, and Johnny Winter was soon signed and joined the Columbia fold. This disc features new liner notes by Al Kooper.

AL KOOPER / MIKE BLOOMFIELD / STEVE STILLS - "Super Session" (Columbia/Legacy)
    * The classic album from 1968 gets an upgrade as 4 bonus tracks are added. These studio sessions featured Al Kooper alongside guitarists Mike Bloomfield and Steve Stills. Features new liners by Al Kooper, and David Fricke's "Hall Of Fame" album review from a 2001 issue of Rolling Stone.

Plus a buncha other stuff, including NRPS' first album, with bonus tracks!
    Now, where are the SACDs?
    Tom

Np Lucinda Williams - Passionate Kisses