What's new

Super monkey ball! (1 Viewer)

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
can't type big review...barely coherant...
5 hours in line at walmart, played luigi and starwars a bit but spent several good late night hours with monkey ball.
oh boy. for such a "simple" game, this thing is DEEP.
what sweet, sweet pure gameplay.
full review soon, after i nap.
my eyes and hands are twitching right now....

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Rob;
I agree! I'm trying to beat the Expert Difficulty right now, and I'm going insane on levels 7 and 8. Only 42 more levels to go! I sincerely believe that this game will test the nerves of any true hardcore gamer out there. I sure as hell know that this game turns me into a pile of jelly on those really hard levels.
Fun, frustrating, and addictive. I think those three words best sum up this game.
------------------
-J.Fo
"He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

Camp

Senior HTF Member
There is something about it, isn't there?
I can already tell I'm going to go through some controllers with this game. Not from playing but from throwing them accross the room in utter frustration!! (that's a good/bad thing, BTW). :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm so glad to see people taking to Monkey Ball. When I first played it on a Japanese Cube in september I really fell for it, I'm sad my copy coming from Canada will take so long to reach me (some 14 days as DVD Box office shipped it standard post) but it was at a price I could not refuse regardless of how long it takes to reach me.
My only upset is that I have heard they removed hilarious "ei ei puh" the music from the Japanese version for the US release. :frowning: I'll have to seek out an MP3.
Dan (UK)

Andre F

Screenwriter
This has been my second most played GCN disc so far. My Wife is addicted. Good fun.

-Andre F

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
yeah this is the game my wife wants me to buy... we played it at a friend's house for 4 hours straight!!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I _LOVE_ Monkey Ball. As much as Luigi and Star Wars are great games - this is my favorite game for the new system so far. I could spend hours at a time on it. If I only had the hours.... ;).

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised none of you have mentioned the monkey fight mode. Man, I played against 3 other guys at lunch today. It is AWESOME!!! The first time I played it I couldn't stop laughing. Imagine 4 monkey ball characters with a big boxing glove attached to the front, punching each other, trying to knock the other players off the board. This is a great party game. I wonder if there are more than 3 boards to unlock in this mode...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
O.K. You guys are raving abut this game. But what is this game about?
Hows about a brief description of the game and why it rocks?

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Tino,

You're a Monkey in a plastic ball and you have to go around collecting Banana's. Sounds fun doesn't it? Well, I bought it and am utterly enjoying it.

Andrew

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
Tino,
the great thing about this is that there are NUMEROUS play modes (too many to mention) so the multiplayer replay value is sky high.... plus: everyone loves monkeys!!!!!:D

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Tino;
As Rusty says, there's a lot of options with this game, but I will see if I can't give you an idea of what the main game is all about.
You ever play Marble Madness for the original NES? If so, then you have a pretty good idea of what this game is about. Basically, you have a monkey encased in a ball (sort of like one of those hamster balls) and your job is to move him from one end of a course before time runs out to the other without falling over the edge.
The difference is in this game you don't control the monkey in the ball. You control the board. By moving the control stick, you can tilt the board in various directions, rolling the monkey ball to it's goal. The game starts off relatively easy, but quickly becomes much, much more difficult. Despites its funny name, cute graphics, and simple gameplay, this game can have even the most serious hardcore gamers pulling their hair out and throwing their controllers across the room in frustration. In all there are over 90 main levels in all, and several bonus levels.
If that weren't enough, you also have several multiplayer options from which to choose as well. You can play the main game with up to four players (haven't done this myself yet) or choose from 6 other mini-games and party games. Let me first tell you about the Party Games:
  • Monkey Race
    Basically this is a five-course circuit in which you can race your friends. The gameplay is very similar to Mario Kart in that you can obtian items that can be used to slow your opponents down.
  • Monkey Fight
    The crown jewel of the Party Games. Your monkey are equipped with a boxing glove attatched to a spring and your job is to punch them over the edge and score points. Whoever has the most points wins. Oh, and there are also several power-ups you can obtain during the course of a round to make it easier to beat your opponents.
  • Monkey Target
    In this game, you monkeys take to the sky and try to score points by landing on targets. This game will probably remind you of Pilotwings if you've ever played that game.
And these are the three mini-games you can play:
  • Monkey Billiards
  • Monkey Bowling
  • Monkey Golf
Altogether, Super Monkey Ball is not only an addictive and challenging single-player game, but offers an amazing level of multi-player options.
Get it. You'll love it.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Super Monkey Ball: All the fun of Monkeys, and *NO* flying feces!!
What could be better? :)
The "Big Grin" smiley is broken...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeffrey, and the rest of you, thanks for the info. I usually don't go for these type of games but you guys have convinced me to give it a shot. I'll pick it up tomorrow and post my thoughts after playing for a while.
Thanks.:)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
This was the 'sleeper' of the launch, for me. I didn't expect to be as hooked on it as I was. I love Monkey Fight mode, and my pals and I were going nuts (in a good way) trying to advance in expert mode. Once again, Sega shows their expertise in making fun, off-the-wall games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks