Super Monkey Ball drives me nuts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul_v, Nov 28, 2001.

1. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Do any of you find the single player super monkey ball extremely frustrating? The beginner levels were ok but the intermediate levels...Holy toughness, Batman! I think I got to stage 15 or so then just got frustrated with it. Anyone have any tips? This game is super tough for a game that seems to be targetted for kids.

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

i was stuck on advanced 15 4 days.
    yesterday, i got home from work, rolled up a smoke, and sat down with baby and beat 15 on my first try [​IMG]
    I reccomend trying it with baby so you can ignore the ball- just pay attention to your monkey. and go SLOW on the last couple of turns and stay on the tight inside.
    this game is amazing.
    i love single player. and at least a few times a week since launch i've had 4 freinds over for monkey bowling. and it's not like i'm 13 with guys after school- 30 year olds are leaving work early to come play monkey ball [​IMG]

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ha! Level 15? That's a cinch! Let's see you guys figure out the secret to Level 30. You probably don't even want to imagine what some of the Expert Levels are like. Let's just say that this game is pure, concentrated evil on a 3" disc.
    Of course, the best games are always the most frustrating, right? Perhaps someone will have to make up a T-shirt that says, "My Gamecube controller survived Super Monkey Ball." [​IMG]

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I think 15 is harder than 30. It only took three tries to for me to get through the Intermediate stages. Expert are ten times harder though. I have given up completely, for now. Is 26 the one with the downward spiral? That one is very difficult for me.

jeremy

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Oh it's incredibly frustrating....but I can't stop going back! [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

6. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Maybe I'll put NHL Hitz aside and go back to monkey ball. It is a fun game but man it's tough heh

7. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    You guys sure this isn't going to be too difficult for my young kids? (9/7/5 yrs)
    If the single-player is so difficult, are the multi-player games easier? Is there plenty of replay value to make it worth the price?

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

My reaction to all this?
    Not having Super Monkey Ball makes me nuts!
    [​IMG]
    All I can do is hope that somewhere down the line, I'll stumble into a GC. I love puzzle/platformers, and despite the apparent difficulty of this game, it sounds like a winner!
    Cheers,
    Joseph

9. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Level 15 on intermediate was a sticking place for me too. But I just sat down in practice mode and kept doing it until I could get through. Now I can blaze through it.

Man oh man, however, Expert owns me. It's really really tough.

The multi-player games are much easier (depending on who you're playing against of course). As for replay value...there is a TON in this game.

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Jason, I've not tried SMB (thats Monkey Ball, not Mario Bros!) yet, but going off similiar sorts of games there isn't much to learn to understand what you're supposed to be doing; its just a case of having the coordination and timing to pull the stunt off. At that point, age doesn't enter it - your 5 year-old might well beat their older siblings!

11. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I was totally stuck on this level as well. I finally got past it after ditching Gon-Gon and using Baby. With Gon-Gon, I made it through the level twice out of -- oh, 1,000 tries. But it's a breeze with Baby (especially if you've been practicing with Gon-Gon -- it's like warming up with one of those weighted donuts in the batter's circle).

12. Paul Richardson

Hmm...I've seen a couple posts here (and in other forums) saying that Baby is the best character to use. But looking at the manual and write-ups of the game, the characters are all supposed to be the same in terms of gameplay? I normally play with Gon-Gon myself, but after hearing that Baby was easier to play with I tried her out a few times. I saw no difference between the two characters, and I did just as well as I was doing with Gon-Gon.

Am I missing something?

13. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

paul- i think they are all the same, which is why baby is the best. Advice I heard, which makes sense, is to ignore the Ball completly and just focus on baby- since it's the smallest, it should be easier to keep balanaced.

14. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I thought the monkeys were essentially the same and they are. However, in a few stages, it becomes apparent. Baby is much easier to control around windy curves and the otherwise excruciating Advanced Level 15.

15. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Well I tried level 15 through all of my continues twice last night and I would always lose it in the third turn. I finally got a minigame unlocked though =) Monkey Billiards is fun hehe

16. Paul Richardson

17. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

18. Paul Richardson

There are five multiplayer games (each very different) available right out of the box. Three more can be unlocked by playing the single player game.

19. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick
    Okay... that sounds better... Thanks Paul.

20. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

also, the "unlocking" of the minigames isn't incredibly hard... maybe an hour or 2 each, based on play time and not really skill... it's nice they made it so easy to unlock them....

a related question- how many play points do you need to unlock infinite continues?