What's new

Super Mario 128: The True Sequel to Super Mario 64! (1 Viewer)

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Two of Nintendo's big franchises have new games in development, according to a recent interview in Japan's Weekly Playboy magazine (they have a small black and white games section). In the interview, when asked about what's next from the company, producer Shigeru Miyamoto comments, "'Pikmin 2' and the 'Mario 128' game that was shown at the [GameCube] unveiling are both in development." Miyamoto elaborates a bit about the latter title, stating "I believe that with this game you'll be able to feel the "newness" that was missing from Mario Sunshine."
Source:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/379/379812p1.html
Super Mario Sunshine was decent but I'm glad we'll finally get a true sequel to the N64 classic! :)
What do you think?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would make a gamecube mario side scroller that would have mario and the surrounding area look like the screen that you used to load your game in sunshine. I think those screens looked so awesome!

Steve Iseman

Agent
Here's what I think: why does Japan get a weekly Playboy magazine and we don't?

I'm glad they are making a sequel to Pikmin. That's my favorite GC game yet.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yeah, while the prospect of yet another Mario game is getting me all warm and fuzzy, I want to know why we don't have weekly Playboy here.

James D S

Screenwriter
Mike,

I think I played with the menu screen more than the game. I wonder how an unlockable SMB1 or Lost Levels using those revamped graphics (like the load screens) would have done to make SMS playable-to-completion for me... Would have been friggin' neato!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Don't get to jealous guys, I bet those Japanese weekly Playboy issues have cars in the centerfold instead of women. "TOYOTA TOYOTA TOYOTA!"
(in case I'm the only one who remembers this, I saw a stand up comedian do a bit about Japanese Playboy with this joke)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Not to mention last I heard Hef wants to go into more articles less pics :rolleyes:So we wont be missing much soon.And its about time we got a real mario sequel!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
soooo

mario sunshine wasnt a sequel at all? how come there were soo many similarities? shines instead of stars, for example.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
felix;

Because Mario wore a water pack in it.

Sorry, that's the best I could come up with.

It's funny though that people criticize Super Mario Sunshine, mostly because it feels so much like Super Mario 64 in terms of game design and execution. Yet, for some inexplicable reason, it isn't a true sequel like this Mario 128 will be.

To quote C-3PO, "Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior."

James D S

Screenwriter
Jeffrey, Didn't Miyamoto himself say that Sunshine is not a "true" sequel - 128 will be? Not that the "sequel" title matters a drop.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yet, for some inexplicable reason, it isn't a true sequel like this Mario 128 will be.>>

Probaly because it didn't have any of the power up items, or general mario enemies that most of the other 'sequal' games have. I don't think Sunshine had a single power Mushroom..

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It's not a true sequel because the sales were disappointing. If it was received as well as they expected (sales & critically), you'd never hear this nonsense about it not being a "true sequel". It's just revisionist history.

-Dave

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Good to know that it's in development, but I think that's old news (kind of like hearing that there's another Bond film in development, or that there'll be a new EA sports game this year-it's kind of a given). Now a timeframe for release-that would be something...

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Morgan;
YES!
Whether or not the storyline for a game relates to a previous title does not determine if it is a "true sequel" for me. Elements like game design and execution do. For all practical purposes, Majora's Mask was a sequel to Ocarina of Time because they shared the same control schemes and virtually the same game engine. (Majora's Mask ran off of a fine tuned version of Ocarina of Time's engine.)
I'll say the same thing about Mario Sunshine. The two games share so much in common that it is really ridiculous to even suggest that it isn't a sequel to Mario 64. You collect Shines instead of Stars. All of the levels in both games are connected by a larger hub level. The sub-levels in each game are broken up into various "chapters" (although they aren't called that in Mario 64). Bowser is the bad guy in both games. The A button makes you jump. Shall I go on?
It's not a true sequel because the sales were disappointing. If it was received as well as they expected (sales & critically), you'd never hear this nonsense about it not being a "true sequel". It's just revisionist history.
The only element of that statement which could be labeled revisionist history is the notion that sales for Super Mario Sunshine were disappointing.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, do you truly feel that Sunshine met Nintendo's sales expectations? Every indication that I have read is that it did not. Critically, one needs look no further than the comments that have been posted in this forum.

-Dave

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I think the main difference between the two is that Super Mario 64 was fun, and Super Mario Sunshine was just damn frustrating. I still haven't finished it, and I don't know if I ever will.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the whole "it's not a sequel" bit either. But yes, there's frankly something more disturbing at hand here: no weekly Playboy in the U.S. :D
Just kidding. But seriously, I need more GC games.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Jeffrey, do you truly feel that Sunshine met Nintendo's sales expectations? Every indication that I have read is that it did not. Critically, one needs look no further than the comments that have been posted in this forum.
I seem to remember this press release that Nintendo issued shortly after the game's release, trumpeting its tremendous sales.
Also, if you check out the collection of reviews at Game Rankings, you'll find that the average rating it received was a 92% - hardly a disappointment.
Sadly, the original thread reviewing Super Mario Sunshine seems to have been purged from the forum archives. So, I can't refer to that to see what we all said about the game when it first came out.

Users who are viewing this thread