What's new

Super High Definition? (1 Viewer)

NEMESIS_2006

Auditioning
Real Name
Kien
Sorry if this question was posted earlier........... I'm a newbie to the HD scene and I could not find any info on it from the search engine.

Well, I was watching Discovery Channel quite some time ago (about a month ago), and they had a show in Japan featuring super high definition, in 4880p.

Does anyone have any info on this? if so, please direct me to the link. I was rather surprised that the Japanese are moving so fast in technology.

NEMESIS

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
they're persuing it for "special venue" type settings, as well as specialized production technique.

The original plan was to send one or two UHR cameras to a sporting event, and generate all of the SD or HD multiple camera shots from the one or two giant "frames". You can get a 16:1 digital zoom out of the image before you actually run out of "content" and start manufacturing blur.

I've seen it demonstrated; they're doing a lot of cheating to do it. The cameras themselves are 4:2:2 color resolution; the projectors (yes, plural) were projecting in 4:2:2 color space.

NHK is the driving force behind it; along with a lot of other companies. JVC, for example, provided the projectors. It's definitely not a consumer medium. The camera was connected to the control and record racks via 16 HD-SDI connections, over one hi-band fiber connection.

Leo Kerr

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
There have been a couple of threads here. The news reports I've read suggest that, with the high resolution, large screens, and relatively high frame rate, there is a danger of inducing nausea in fast-motion scenes due to an excessive sense of telepresence, over and above that which is experienced with IMAX.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Its much more likely to be used as a replacement for theatrical presentations, than for home use. No need to start saving for that shiny new UDTV just yet!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would imagine that super high definition will be here sometime in the near future as the replacement for high definition. Only not as the are trying to develope it special venues at this time. I can see a 4880p format replacing the new current 1080p HD format in maybe 20 years. I am under the impression that 35mm film has an aproximate resolution of 5300 x 4000. So that if we ever get a super HD format that uses a 4880p format. Then we theoretically have master HD copies of the films we love. And by that time god only knows how good the audio will be and how many channels we will have as well. Heck they might even give us the future version of lossless Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio both on the same disc.

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i don't see UD replacing HD =). i firmly believe HD is the last physical format. UD will be available... via fiber optics.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I actually see UD replacing HD at some point unless the studios pull a record company tactic:frowning:. Unless movie studios decide they do not want us to have actuall master quality copies of there films? However how much better can it get after that? There are limits to what humans can see and hear so eventually it will get as good as its going to get. And it will just be a matter of the phyiscal size of the media and type of media. And weather or not we have to watch movies on demand across a next generation super internet or if they will still make movies availble on media that we can purchase and collect.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
HD is probably the closest any consumer is going to get to owning a film master.

the next gen will be fully downloadable/portable compressed stuff. it'll probably be like CD-Audio->MP3 transition. from 1080p->compressed video.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
And yet CDs are higher quality and are still widely available. If consumers want physical media there will always be companies willing to take their cash.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
unfortunately consumers are dumb and they are willing to pay more for ease of use, simplicity and convenience over quality (see mp3).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think that considering convenience more important than AV quality makes anyone dumb—it just means that they don’t share your values.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks