What's new

Super Hero Movie Overkill? (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
what do you think about that american flag as an outfit he wears? Don't you think audiences and non fans will think it looks ridiculous?
Depends what they do with it. John Cassaday made it look very cool in the first few issues of the current series.

CoreyII

Second Unit
I pretty much agree with Jacinto. You're going to need a damn good director for Captain America. If done right the film should take World WarII as serious as Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List as well as have the 1940's derring do of an Indiana Jones film.

Personally, I could see 3 or 4 films set in the World War II era alone before bringing Cap to modern day America. And if they do have Cap in a modern day setting he should be found by Namor and the Avengers, but that is wishful thinking at best.

The potential for a Captain America film franchise is incredible and quite possible. And what is also good about a new Cap francise is it could easily erase the stink of that 1990's Captain America film because hardly no one saw it. That film is so bad (Cap's ears are plastic) it easily runs neck and neck with the Fantastic Four film as the worst comic book adaptation ever made.

It makes the Punisher look like X-2: X-Men United. Actually with exception of the missing costume, I didn't think the Punisher was all that bad. Yeah I know it was made for $5.00 dollars but I got a kick out of it anyway.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Superman was the comic I collected hardcore for quite a few years. I think the best thing the best way to do Superman would be a trilogy broken up as follows (possible mid-90s comic spoilers)...

Ep 1 - Origin ala Spiderman movie and the original comic book Lex Luthor as the villain, possibly "dying" and returning as Luthor II in the end... but definitely end with a tease of Doomsday making his way out his "tomb".

Ep 2 - Doomsday battle and The Death of Superman... at the end quickly summarize Funeral for a Friend and tease the introduction of The Last Son of Krypton, Superboy, The Man of Steel, and The Cyborg.

Ep 3 - The Reign of the Supermen ending w/ Engine City and the battle with Hank Henshaw/Cyborg and the return of the true Superman

This may be alot to fit into three movies and could possibly be four with 1 being origin/luthor, 2 being death/funeral, 3 being the reign, 4 being Engine City and the return of the true superman. A 4th or 5th movie could also be the comic mini-series of Superman going after Henshaw and Doomsday in space.

I may be grasping at the Superman era that I know the best because those were my days of the comics, but the Doomsday/Funeral/Reign is too much great story to waste. I just hope they don't turn Doomsday into a minor sub-villain the way they did Bane in Batman & Robin.

The Azrael/Bane/Knightfall storyline in Batman is another that would be amazing on film. Seeing these superheroes as not being invincible and having to overcome things truly amazing (death for superman, a broken back for Batman) and how things unfolded in their absence is really fun story telling and could help stave off the campiness that happens when comic book movies are done poorly and ignore/drastically change the comic back story. That said, some of the comic stories relating to the batman broken back thing should stay far away from film, especially the NightQuest story w/ a near invalid Bruce Wayne traveling the globe taking down criminals in a super wheelchair.

Spiderman/Venom/Carnage would be another great comic storyline to bring to the movies. I'm really glad X-Men is going to be picking up the Phoenix storyline. Movies like "Steel" and the upcoming "Catwoman" movie that take an established character (maybe not so much in Steel's character, but still) and completely re-write their back-story and remove them completely from their comic setting really bothers me.

Kingdome Come would be absolutely amazing but the sheer number of characters (especially characters non-comic fans wouldn't know origins/back-stories for) would make it nearly impossible to do as a movie. Also, being an Elseworlds story it may confuse those not involve in comics that wouldn't understand the "What If" aspect.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Yes...I have said this for years! KNIGHTFALL would be wonderful on film!
I agree... I'd love to see this arc fleshed out on film, but I'd prefer if this one was animated. If conventional animation isn't enough, I'd love to see this one done fully CGI. I think this would be a fantastic opportunity for Warner to grab the brass ring and do something truely inspiring with their characters in a way that has yet to be explored for comic book movies.

Moe.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
To celebrate the arrival of Spider-Man's second glorious trip into the multiplexes, I hereby resurrect this thread.

Inspired by the SM2 discussion thread, I started wondering which superheroes possibly could appear in one film together. So I compiled this list of the superheroes and which studio owns the rights on each. Feel free to correct errors and offer additions.

Marvel Characters

Already released

Blade - New Line Cinema
Daredevil - 20th Century Fox
Elektra - 20th Century Fox
The Fantastic Four - 20th Century Fox
Howard the Duck - Universal Pictures
The Hulk - Universal Pictures
The Punisher - Lions Gate Films
Spider-Man - Columbia Pictures
X-Men - 20th Century Fox

On the way -or- shelved

Ant-Man - Lions Gate Films
Black Panther - Lions Gate Films
Captain America - Lions Gate Films
Deadpool - Lions Gate Films
Deathlok - Paramount Pictures
Dr. Strange - Dimension Films
Ghost Rider - Columbia Pictures / Dimension Pictures
Green Lantern - Warner Bros.
Iron Fist - Lions Gate Films
Iron Man - New Line Cinema
Luke Cage -
Man-Thing - Lions Gate Films
Namor: The Sub-Mariner - Universal Pictures
Nick Fury - Lions Gate Films
Thor - Lions Gate Films
Werewolf By Night - Dimension Pictures

DC Characters

Already released

Batman - Warner Bros.
Catwoman - Warner Bros.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - 20th Century Fox
Supergirl - Warner Bros.
Superman - Warner Bros.
Swamp Thing - MGM UA

On the way -or- shelved

Aquaman -
Constantine (Hellblazer) - Warner Bros.
The Flash - Warner Bros.
Green Arrow -
Wonder Woman - Warner Bros.
The Wonder Twins - Warner Bros.

Other Characters

Already released

The Crow - Miramax
The Guyver - New Line Cinema
Hellboy - Columbia Pictures
Judge Dredd - Disney
The Phantom - Paramount Pictures
The Rocketeer - Disney
The Shadow - Universal Pictures
Sheena - Columbia Pictures
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - New Line Cinema
Timecop - Universal

On the way -or- shelved

Plastic Man - Warner Bros.
Shazam! / Captain Marvel - New Line Cinema
Watchmen - Revolution (Sony)

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I believe Sony has the rights to Luke Cage. Amongst genere characters that have had film treatment, there's Spawn, Steel, The Men in Black, The Mask, Tank and Girl. Captain Marvel (Shazam), Watchmen and Plastic Man are all DC properties, at least more DC then League of Extrodinary gentlmen. In the category of "others" an upcoming film (starting production soon) includes Robert Rodriquez's Sin City, which doesn't feature superheroes, space goddesses, and mutant monsters, but does sound like it's going to be very stylizied. Also Man Thing does look like itll be here for an october release, and in any case will at least be in the can by fall.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think a Capt America movie could work if set during WWII and having him move foward in time at the end of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks