Super Hero Movie Overkill?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert_M_Clark, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Robert_M_Clark

I bought X2 today and thoroughly enjoyed it, as I have most super hero movies of late. I was so happy with the film that I did an internet search for upcoming super hero films. To my surprise, there are 6 comic book films coming out next summer. They are:

Spider-Man 2
    Punisher
    Man-Thing
    Blade 3
    Hellblazer
    Catwoman

At what point is this going too far, too fast? I mean, "The Hulk" proved that not all comic films are gold. Even with the successes of "Spiderman", "X2", League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", and others, there is still a good chance that Hollywood is going to overshoot the mark, so to speak (just like they've done with war movies since "Saving Private Ryan"). Anyone out there agree?

2. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Don't forget

Hellboy...

R~

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

To be fair, Punisher, Blade, Man-Thing, and Hellblazer aren't necessarily superheroes (although they've occasionally met them in the comics). I can't say I really see any big deal about Hollywood making movies based on comics. You don't see anyone say "well, they're making lots of movies based on popular novels. Is that too much?" Or maybe they do and I just haven't noticed [​IMG] The most important thing is to get good people to make them and hopefully the movies will be worth watching.

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

6. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Is LXG really a success, even compared to The Hulk ? It got worse reviews, didn't make us much, and has pretty much generated little or no talk at all, for better or worse.

Actually, you know what genre makes superhero films look like a rarity in comparison? Hiest films. Crap, it's the movie every would-be auteur turns to when they want to "loosen up".

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

9. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Many more this number of "sappy romances" or "silly comedies" will come out in the next year. Where's the article decrying the overabundance of those?

That's really not very many genre films at all, relative to how many films will emerge for the season or year. There is no saturation being reached yet.

10. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

And let's not forget the current Batman film in production with Christian Bale and Michael Caine.

Not to mention the long-delayed Superman V they've been trying to get off the ground for the past 15 years.

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I believe Fantastic Four and Iron Man (The one I most want to see) have been delayed and pushed back a year.

Antman and Black Panther were also in development. I think with Artisan. Now that Artisan has been sold, those projects are probally dead.

WB also wants to get Wonder Woman and Green Lantern made,but seem lost on how to go about it.

A "proper" adaption of Swamp Thing is also in the works.

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Not surprising now that the technology allows these characters to be realistically portrayed on the big screen.

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The schedule I posted above for Marvel is current as of Avi Arad's (CEO) meeting with analysts on November 18.

~Edwin

14. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Edwin, Maybe they were 2004 and recently pushed back to 2005,but I remember reading those projects were moved back.

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Fantastic Four was originally scheduled for Christmas 2004 but is now pushed to Spring 2005.

~Edwin

17. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

I won't say that there is such a thing as too many or that they are overkill but they could slow them down a little since I have only so much money alloted for movies.

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Of course, so of the older folks think color is an overkill. [​IMG]

19. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

4-4-04 for hellboy.... That is close to summer right..... Late spring [​IMG]

R~

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

It's a combination of copycat syndrome and lack of creativity in Hollywood. Once someone has success with a certain genre or type of property, everyone wants a piece of the pie and jumps on the bandwagon with their own "version" of the first success.

After "Friends," there were lots of sitcoms produced that centered on snarky 20-somethings. After "The X-Files," everyone tried to make a sci-fi drama. After "Scream," we got lots of self-aware copycat teen-thrillers. Now we're in a glut of comic-based action films.

The problem is most of these copycats are inferior versions, rushed through the production process hoping to capitalize on a trend before it runs its course. If so many wouldn't pile on all at once, it wouldn't be a "trend" in the first place and everyone could have a turn with their own, well-thought-out genre picture/show.

Most of the recent comic-based films to date have been decent (production-wise, if not always plot-wise), but I wonder if Marvel isn't spreading themselves too thin by having so many films in production at once. I'd rather see them concentrate on one film at a time to make sure things get done right.