What's new

Super hearing possible? (1 Viewer)

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
jordan.

that monitor high pitch squeal is caused by some imbalance of something... (sorry for the vagueness, but I forget the exact terms). A lot of older monitors give out this squeak, and if you still have a warrantee on your monitor, the warrantee will cover it.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I'm glad I came upon this post. I just thought that my tv made a lot of noise because it's ready to go out or something. (Even though it has always sounded that way.) Thanks for the peace of mind.

Jon

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Anyone else ever get that really high pitched sound in their head after some strenuious physical activity, or after a LOUD rock concert? Or, sometimes it may just enter your head without any outside influence.

I thought that I might actually be hearing my 1280 x 960 @ 85 Hz Monitor for a moment until I plugged my ears and realized that the high pitched sound was coming from inside my head :b

Carl R

Grip
and trumpet (though I suck at the trumpet)...
Bernard L: You're supposed to blow...;)
I guess musicians develop a more sensitive ear. Myself inlcuded (I play the trumpet, guitar and bluff my way on a few others), although I've always had good hearing. Even people with tinnitus might still have good and sensitive hearing. Having been exposed to loud volumes does not necessarily make you go deaf, but it might give you tinnitus. So one should be careful with loud volumes. I don't go anywhere without my earplugs these days, just in case.

Dom H

Agent
Just curious but wouldn't a PAL tv emit a lower frequency?

Also have you ever had a tv on behind you muted and something grabs your attention and you have to turn around to look? Sounds strange but it just sounds like something is happening, I think the frequency changes or something. I can hear it in cd audio too, perhaps I'm being weird but it's like somthing suddenly changes (I dont mean key or anything) thats makes me suddenly notice it.

Dom.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else ever get that really high pitched sound in their head after some strenuious physical activity, or after a LOUD rock concert? Or, sometimes it may just enter your head without any outside influence.
That's called tinnitus, and it usually doesn't go away. However, it can sometimes be caused by excessive wax buildup, and not necessarily be permanent damage from extended duration LOUD sounds.

I have a touch of this, from years of working in a submarine engine room, and probably a few concerts, loud car stereos, etc. It doesn't seem to affect my high frequency hearing, and I only notice it in a quiet room.

Todd

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Back in my paper route days, I could tell from outside when there was a TV on in the house. Then I went to a rock concert...

Lary

John Royster

Screenwriter
WOW, what a lot of information. Some people just have different ears I guess. makes sense.
Now, if I can only rid myself of "dog-boy" :D

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Want to know a really cool "tweak"? Get your ears professionally cleaned. It's definitely $200 well spent.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Sounds strange but it just sounds like something is happening, I think the frequency changes or something.
Yup, I've noticed that too. I think it happens when the picture changes drastically - from a mostly dark image to a mostly white image, or something. I've also noticed it when changing channels with the audio muted, especially when moving in or out of the AUX/AV channels. Those don't make any noise, or they make less noise.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Whenever I go shopping for a direct-view TV, I make a point of listening for that annoying flyback-coil noise. Happily, it seems to be less of a problem than back in the 1960s-70s, when Zenith, Admiral, and other brands practically screamed at you. Our Sony computer monitor, too, intermittently starts whining, driving us nuts (we had to exchange our first Sony monitor because the high-pitched noise was nonstop). The Sony Wega in the bedroom, thankfully, is dead quiet.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Almost forgot to mention this audiophile's tried-and-true ear-cleaning procedure: Take one channel of any interconnect cable (esoteric cables are unnecessary for this technique--I tried), slide it into one ear until it emerges out of the other ear. (Warning: If it gets lost before it comes out of the other ear, stop pushing in the cable after about 2-3 feet are inserted.) If your cables have arrows on them, be sure to insert the cable in the appropriate direction.

I find that this method removes all earwax and most objects that I may have stuck in my ears. It doesn't seem to help my hearing, though.

John Royster

Screenwriter
LOL - this thread is going down hill fast :)
I might go get my hearing checked and ask what my range/sensitivity is. Strange that when my wife talks to me even in a loud voice I still don't hear her. WHAT??? hehe
To the Clinical Audiologist - Most definately the cortex is doing all the work/perception. The ears are just firing the nerves, so maybe...just maybe my 20 plus years of critical music listening/loving/playing has formed paths in my cortex that better understand those nerve cells firing. I think the process is called state-dependant memory or something like that. The more a neural pathway is used the stronger it becomes.
When I really sit back to listen to music, I really listen. Follow just one instrument during the entire song, try to play it. Try to separate every single chord played in harmony. What key are they playing. that kind of stuff.
Why did I title this thread super hearing? Well some people are called "super tasters". Their sense of taste is much more resolute than normal. These people truly have MORE sensory organs on their tongue. Maybe there is something similar with sense of hearing.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My wife calls me sonar ears. One time we were watching true lies on my system, and I kept saying " What is that noise, it is bothering me to death". She kept saying that she did not hear anything. So I paused the movie and began my search. Come to find out, it was the chain from the celing fan two rooms away clanking against the other chain. She could not believe it. I have always heard like that. I can hear when people wisper conversations on the other side of a big room. This does not pertain to high freq. per say, but just hearing in general.

Brandon

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
When I really sit back to listen to music, I really listen. Follow just one instrument during the entire song, try to play it. Try to separate every single chord played in harmony. What key are they playing. that kind of stuff.
I've always found that interesting, how musicians listen to music. And when I say musician I mean musician, not just anyone who can play 3 chords on a guitar :) You do get to a point where you can 'see' the shape of the song and follow instrument lines or chord changes in your head without any external props. I know I was thrilled when I realized that I could tell a C changing into an Am just by listening to it. Of course, I haven't used those skills since I left college, so I'm probably pretty rusty again.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Did you know if you focus or defocus your eyes correctly you can see the organisms living in the fluid of your eye?

Try it. I used to think I just had dirty eyes from contacts.

Sidenote: I wished that I was a girl once, so I could smack this ditz who got all giddy, b/c she said she could see the Oxygen Molecules in the air when she zones out.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Interesting links. The high pitched sound comes and goes, and it usually goes away after prolonged peoiods of silence. I think my ears are just hyper-sensitive, or it could be a TMJ related problem as that tinnitus link suggests as one possible cause. It is not constant.
I can hear everything anyone has mentioned being able to hear on this thread (except fot those electronic bird repeller things ...around here they just use inverted nails to keep birds from nesting under the awnings of buildings) ..so luckily, after 15 years of playing guitar my hearing has not diminished yet. Of course, I am generally carefull to wear earplugs, or to stuff some tissue in my ears when playing at high volumes.
Great thread
PS, yes I can see those 'organisims' floating in the fluid over my eyes too. :)

Allan F

Agent
John,
You're right on the money. The increased use of those same neurological pathways causes increased dendritic branching. I think it's called synaptogenisis or something like that. It's been a long time since I read any neurology. The American Tinnitus Association website that the other Audiologist suggested is a great source of info on tinnitus. Cheers,
Allan
Clinical Audiologist;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks